Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple in talks to buy Twitter for $700m

Apple in talks to buy Twitter for $700m
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2009, 07:50 AM

From here.

But why ???

I don't get what they'd want it for.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2009, 08:00 AM

Couldn't tell you. Hopefully Twitter will disappear into the nether regions of cyberspace soon. It's possibly the most overrated Internet trend since AJAX.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 5, 2009, 08:15 AM

@Apple: WTF?

@whoeverleakedthis: Steve is not pleased.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dork. View Post
@Apple: WTF?
Seconded.

This is what happens when companies have too much cash. They start wasting it on crap.

-t

Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 5, 2009, 08:37 AM

seems kind of foolish, there's really no synergy between the two companies. The only thing that it might be for, is some sort of merger or integration with mobileme
~Mike

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Couldn't tell you. Hopefully Twitter will disappear into the nether regions of cyberspace soon. It's possibly the most overrated Internet trend since AJAX.
How is AJAX overrated?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2009, 09:08 AM

AJAX = Google Maps and therefore cannot be overrated

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2009, 09:11 AM

Apple recently posted a complimentary business profile of Twitter entitled: “Twitter. Triumph of humanity”.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Hopefully Twitter will disappear into the nether regions of cyberspace soon.
Indeed

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 5, 2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
This is what happens when companies have too much cash. They start wasting it on crap.
Exactly.

Let us hope Google grabs it for more money

Aeolius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2009, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Perhaps Apple should buy the now defunct GoLive from Adobe, to integrate into iWeb and a Pro web app

Perhaps Apple should buy the now defunct iSmell internet scent-producing units from Digiscents, to integrate into the iPhone.

Perhaps Apple should buy the now defunct AIBO plans from Sony, to produce the iChihuahua

Lots of useful things to waste.. eeerrr.. spend money on

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2009, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

Seriously is this what you think Twitter is?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2009, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post

Seriously is this what you think Twitter is?
That does seem to be how a lot of people use it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2009, 11:08 PM

Anybody can look at Twitter for themselves and see that is what it is.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2009, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
That does seem to be how a lot of people use it.
No, that's how extremely few people use it, and the people who do don't keep it up for very long.

The explanation for this is simple:

No one cares what you had for breakfast (unless you are doing food reviews), so the people who do this would have no followers. Without followers you are just shouting in the dark. So why bother?

Twitter itself is not doing anything help stop this image however. Just looking at the front page of Twitter with it's examples and "What are you doing?" question that's exactly what you'd think Twitter is.

I fully admit this is the perception I had as well, even after registering (and subsequently abandoning my account for months). You actually have to use it to understand what kind of tool it is and how it can be used well for what you need it to be.

In that respect Twitter is not that different from a forum such as MacNN. It is discussion, link sharing, conversation, news feeds and a research tool all rolled into one.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2009, 11:47 PM

No, that's how extremely few people use it, and the people who do don't keep it up for very long.

No one cares what you had for breakfast (unless you are doing food reviews), so the people who do this would have no followers. Without followers you are just shouting in the dark. So why bother?

Twitter itself is not doing anything help stop this image however. Just looking at the front page of Twitter with it's examples and "What are you doing?" question that's exactly what you'd think Twitter is.

I fully admit this is the perception I had as well, even after registering (and subsequently abandoning my account for months). You actually have to use it to understand what kind of tool it is and how it can be used well for what you need it to be.

In that respect Twitter is not that different from a forum such as MacNN. It is discussion, link sharing, conversation, news feeds and a research tool all rolled into one.
Meh, Twitter will be dead in a couple of years. Well, unless they change it to be much less irritating.

SSharon
Professional Poster
May 5, 2009, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Anybody can look at Twitter for themselves and see that is what it is.
I agree with erik on this one. I have found twitter to be very useful and looking back at the tweets of the people I follow not one mentions flatulence or what they had for breakfast.

I use twitter to stay up to date with technology news, but also to get opinions and help with school and my job search. At the moment I am looking to get a paper published and a number of attorneys (it is a legal paper) I met via twitter offered to read the paper and share their comments with me.

As with all social networking sites (and many other things in life) it is what you make of it. Every dumb tweet could easily be a status update on facebook, but I don't hear people criticizing facebook for this.

Mundane tweets abound, but there are plenty of worthless threads in the lounge and here we all are.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2009, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
As with all social networking sites (and many other things in life) it is what you make of it. Every dumb tweet could easily be a status update on facebook, but I don't hear people criticizing facebook for this.
You don't? Well, now you have. People find idiotic status updates annoying.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2009, 01:01 AM

OK, let's look at the last few tweets by the No. 1 most popular twit on the planet with 1.6 million followers (creepy lingo, BTW):

@scottrmcgrew who says I don't engage?
7 minutes ago from Seesmic Desktop
The solution is here thats Y I have the obstacle. revelation is here thats Y I have this pain. fulfillment is here thats Y I have the desire
13 minutes ago from Seesmic Desktop
@Bobara thanks bobara
about 6 hours ago from Seesmic Desktop
on cinco de mayo the martini shot becomes the margarita! and we are on it... yipee!
about 6 hours ago from Seesmic Desktop
I'm pretty sure he could be talking about his breakfast and it would be about as substantial.
Chuck
___

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 6, 2009, 01:53 AM

I have to agree with most people here.. Twitter isn't appealing to me either. I don't want 140 character updates on your day, and when I want the latest technology news, I just go to a technology website and read about it. I have joined and abandoned Twiiter a few times, and there just isn't a compelling reason to go back right now.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2009, 02:06 AM

Meh, Twitter will be dead in a couple of years. Well, unless they change it to be much less irritating.
Famous last words...

(disclaimer: I don't see the appeal yet, myself, but I've heard from enough people to be inclined to believe erik's assessment.)

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2009, 03:46 AM

If I'm brutally honest, I didn't 'get' Twitter. When I signed up it seemed to be a web-based IM, and I never got into IM. Maybe I'm just getting old.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2009, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Famous last words...

(disclaimer: I don't see the appeal yet, myself, but I've heard from enough people to be inclined to believe erik's assessment.)
Yeah, a lot of people have told me that seemingly useless dot-com companies without a workable business plan are pretty safe bets. Well, OK, it was 10 years ago that they told me that, but I'm sure it's still true.

BTW, wasn't it supposed to be Google that was in late-stage talks to buy Twitter? I can never keep up with all these fictitious business deals.
Chuck
___

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2009, 07:13 AM

I do not believe that Apple will buy Twitter.

What is Twitter's business model? How does it make money? Ads?

Could Apple just implement a Twitter-like version on MobileMe or is it patented/protected?

Apple invents or re-invents the way things are done. It does not hop on the bandwagon. It's either slow to implement new technology (Blu-ray) or on the cutting edge (touch iPhone). I don't see Twitter as either of these. I see it as a fad, Internet noise, so to speak. That's not Apple.

Still waiting for this tablet/netbook from Apple. I'd like to see how to reinvent that.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2009, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Could Apple just implement a Twitter-like version on MobileMe or is it patented/protected?

Apple invents or re-invents the way things are done. It does not hop on the bandwagon. It's either slow to implement new technology (Blu-ray) or on the cutting edge (touch iPhone). I don't see Twitter as either of these. I see it as a fad, Internet noise, so to speak. That's not Apple.

Still waiting for this tablet/netbook from Apple. I'd like to see how to reinvent that.
If Apple bought it and implemented it on MobileMe, that'd kill Twitter once and for all.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2009, 07:26 AM

They do like to do this, true.

But then, they also build iChat.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 6, 2009, 10:12 AM

"Apple in talks to buy Twitter for $700m"

No they aren't. Here's a reasonable position on the matter:
http://kara.allthingsd.com/20090505/...pproved-steps/

All glory to the hypnotoad.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2009, 11:07 AM

If Apple bought it and implemented it on MobileMe, that'd kill Twitter once and for all.
Oh, I'm suddenly all FOR Apple buying Twitter

-t

Demonhood
Administrator
May 6, 2009, 12:51 PM

i find Twitter extremely useful for update news snippets, for emergencies/disasters, staying connected with friends, and for some mild amusement.
if someone has boring updates, i stop following them.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 6, 2009, 01:11 PM

Can't see Apple doing this... Twitter is free already, works with Macs, and has no way of making them money by owning it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2009, 01:36 PM

That isn't necessarily the case. iTunes was bought. So were Logic, Quartz Composer and CoverFlow.
( Last edited by Chuckit; May 6, 2009 at 06:51 PM. )
Chuck
___

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2009, 01:38 PM

"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

finboy
May 6, 2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Can't see Apple doing this... Twitter is free already, works with Macs, and has no way of making them money by owning it.
ANYBODY buying Twitter would be really really really stupid right now. Kind of like buying Google at $500. Dumb.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2009, 06:59 PM

How is it irritating? Seriously, you amuse me with your ignorance on the subject.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2009, 07:00 PM

That isn't necessarily the case. iTunes was bought. So were Logic, Quartz Composer and CoverFlow.
Apple buys things to keep their focus, not to expand on it:

http://technologizer.com/2009/05/05/...ing-to-happen/

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2009, 07:14 PM

OK, let's look at the last few tweets by the No. 1 most popular twit on the planet with 1.6 million followers (creepy lingo, BTW):

I'm pretty sure he could be talking about his breakfast and it would be about as substantial.
He is a celebrity. His tweets are of value to the crowd who take pleasure in following the minutiae of celebrities.

The thing is, you and I are not likely to be in that crowd. Thus we would not follow Ashton Kutcher, but rather people who bring value to us.

I follow iPhone developers (thus I get to beta-test iPhone 3 for free). I follow a lot of local media and journalists and I get breaking news before anyone else. I follow a lot of local (and some international) bands and DJs and I get concert information (sometimes free tickets/drinks) before anyone else. I got to remix a track from an up and coming artist from following him on Twitter (also known to invite his followers to come to his parties). There are lots of social and professional gatherings being organised on Twitter in my network.

Myself I have started two separate resource accounts: One for local food reviews, one for local music reviews and information. Both got 250 followers in less than a week. I was able to give away tickets to sold out shows by five days on my Music account.

Twitter is not just another IM service or Facebook status update or even social network. It happens really fast. Remember when people were poo pooing the internet?

The question you should be answering when you sign up to Twitter is not "What am I doing?". It is "What am I good at?".

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2009, 02:00 AM

my main problem is that Twitter's actual service is completely unreliable. i'd use it much more if it's servers had more capacity or whatever,

i post my design articles as well as others i like, follow me at :

@typesett
( Last edited by Apple Pro Underwear; May 7, 2009 at 02:01 AM. Reason: grammer)

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2009, 08:30 AM

The question you should be answering when you sign up to Twitter is not "What am I doing?". It is "What am I good at?".
I cannot see how people would be interested in what a 37 year old father of two who works in a dodgy company has to say.

And what sort of person would I follow? Without being an arse-licker, I come to forums like this to see what people are up to/talking about. Probably sad, but thats the way that I live.

BTW, not looking for sympathy.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2009, 09:22 AM

The character-limited format itself necessarily leads to banal content.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2009, 06:43 PM

Succinct != Banal.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2009, 07:00 PM

Twitter is a tool - an excellent tool, at that, and I use it to follow my crowd (WebObjects developers and Cocoa developers). It's not unlike having an RSS-feed to the brains of people who think alike.
And since I run in a tight group, it also serves as a type of irc-channel. In that context, it's one of the most powerful knowledge sharing tools I've used.

If people's tweets are not useful to me, I unsubscribe. Simple as that.

That being said, I can't see how Apple would benefit from buying Twitter, and I doubt that they are.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2009, 07:01 PM

They are not. Twitter is not for sale and Apple would never buy it. Simple.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2009, 07:01 PM

Succinct != Banal.
Limited room to express one self != Succint

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2009, 07:03 PM

Succinct != Banal.
What I mean is not that every tweet is banal or shallow, but the format trends towards those characteristics. Some people can write poetry in 140 characters. Most cannot. The character limit encourages people to write short observational quips or to link to web pages where the actual content resides. In both cases the value of the message in the actual tweet is negligible. If the value of Twitter is the mechanism of linking ideas and people, then fine, but then it differs little from established social networks.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2009, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Limited room to express one self != Succint
Actually it is. The limitation forces people to be creative in how they get their point across in as little space as possible.

If the topic requires a longer treaty, there is usually a link

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2009, 07:24 PM

I'm curious: Can you give an example of somebody who provides great, nontrivial information via Twitter?
Chuck
___

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
May 7, 2009, 07:33 PM

I'm curious: Can you give an example of somebody who provides great, nontrivial information via Twitter?
Well, among the ones I'm subscribed to:

1. Earthquake measurements in Iceland. Only shows the ones that go over 2 richter.
2. I'm subscribed to three Icelandic media outlets, that only tweet the top news (redundant, but nice).
3. I'm subscribed to about 30 WebObjects, Java and Cocoa developers that tweet about really useful coding tricks, class libraries, code examples and current events. We discuss things on twitter, as if it was an irc channel, that you're always logged into.
4. I'm subscribed to a couple of Icelandic politicians. Sometimes, we engage in dialouge through Twitter. Being able to publically address the people in parliament feels nice. Dialouge involving more people often ensues.

etc. etc. For me, it's a useful tool. Just use it as you like - and if you don't like it, don't use it. Simple as that .

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 7, 2009, 09:24 PM

That depends. What would be non-trivial information for you?

As I said, I subscribe to bands, developers, journalists, pr and media people all of which post non-trivial information of value to me.

I also post non-trivial information on my accounts about local gigs, events and restaurants. Information that is appreciated and non-trivial to many.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
May 8, 2009, 12:20 AM

that all sounds trivial to me.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2009, 03:15 AM

You obviously neither

a) live in an earthquake-prone country, nor

b) are a software developer, nor

c) take an active interest in your representatives' politics, nor

d) work in media.

If any of those applied to you, at least *one* of the applications mentioned above would most certainly be recognizably non-trivial.

Not of interest to you != "trivial".

Forum Links
Forum Rules