Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB 1400 Memory

PB 1400 Memory
Faxe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2000, 04:09 PM

Hi,

I just had the chance of fiddeling around with a 1400/c and just for fun topped it out with 72MB Ram. It realy started up (About this Mac even showed me 72 MB), but sadly just with a core OS8.6 install. Nothing else booted on it. I always thought that the 64MB limit was a hardware limit. Has anybody any thoughts about that?

:-) Tom

Tim Michael (finboy)
Oct 7, 2000, 05:12 PM

I've never heard of anyone going over 64, I thought it was a ROM limit. If you could boot with 8.6 CD, and if it then showed the other drives and you could initialize/format them, it might work. Of course, you'll have to update the drivers.

Try booting with 8.1 or something and see how that works.

dedrum
Oct 17, 2000, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by Tim Michael (finboy):
I've never heard of anyone going over 64, I thought it was a ROM limit. If you could boot with 8.6 CD, and if it then showed the other drives and you could initialize/format them, it might work. Of course, you'll have to update the drivers.

Try booting with 8.1 or something and see how that works.
This is VERY intriguing. Has anyone heard more about this? I have a 1400 myself, and I've been holding off an a new RAM purchase (still using the 16 MB that it came with). The machine's potential capacity to surpass the 64 MB limit could go a long way in influencing the module that I choose to buy.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules