Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Fragmentation on OS X partition

Fragmentation on OS X partition
jpmack
Jun 27, 2000, 07:27 PM

I noticed today that OS X was taking much longer to startup, so I decided to take a chance and checked the partition with Norton Utilities 5.0; NDD fixed a few directory problems, and I defragged it with Speed Disk. Startup times are once again normal. However, Speed Disk reported a file called system.log that was 150 MB and in 50+ fragments, too large to repair. Anyone know what this file is, and if it should be defragged/replaced?

------------------
Jim

Michaeld
Jun 27, 2000, 07:45 PM

Yeh, in UNIX, most things are recorded in a log file, and the System.log file you have found, is your log.

I thought you could normally (in UNIX) set its max size, but I'm not sure how to.

If you open up the log file in a text editor, you will see the different stuff recorded in it. Depending on your knowledge of UNIX, it depends on what you will understand

Mike

Originally posted by jpmack:
I noticed today that OS X was taking much longer to startup, so I decided to take a chance and checked the partition with Norton Utilities 5.0; NDD fixed a few directory problems, and I defragged it with Speed Disk. Startup times are once again normal. However, Speed Disk reported a file called system.log that was 150 MB and in 50+ fragments, too large to repair. Anyone know what this file is, and if it should be defragged/replaced?

Hackcess
Jun 29, 2000, 02:12 PM

Oh boy, don't do that. UNIX defrags and performs maintenance on the disk at times when your not around. In this regard (unless Apple kills all the UNIX tools to let 3rd party guys sell it back to us) you should not be using Mac apps to "fragment" your drive.

Yes I said fragment, this is UNIX - and Norton "don't know UNIX".

CRE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2000, 04:29 PM

Hackless,

Would there happen to be an actual app we could run included with OS X DP4? I guess we may have to wait on Apple (or a third-party) for that since most UNIX utils don't "do" HFS+... any thoughts?

Forum Links
Forum Rules