Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Classic - A Poll

Classic - A Poll
Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2000, 01:47 PM

Any users of OS X running classic - what is your memory configuration? On the system I've been using it has 128 megs of ram. This seems to not be enough. If I attempt to load it, I get the standard MacOS load screen for OS9, it gets to the point where it would load extensions and vanishes. If I attempt to load it without extensions, the same thing occurs. I even attempted a clean install of OS9 figuring I may have had a corrupt OS9 installation. Ideas>

SineMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2000, 02:04 PM

I was having the same problem initially - and with 224MB RAM. I figured out that it was because I had a couple of things in the OS9 Startup Items folder. Make sure nothing is set to start up automatically on startup, and try again. That did it for me - I'm now using Classic with no problems and all my normal extensions loading (although, some don't actually work: e.g. anything to do with serial ports, etc.)

SineMac

SineMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2000, 02:06 PM

Oops, I forgot - I also did a clean install of OS9 and then moved all my extensions over. I had originally had OS9 on an HFS partition, so I also had to reformat as HFS+.
(And the startup items culprits for me were DragThing and Serial Port Monitor for Palm Hotsync)

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2000, 05:03 PM

Hi,
320MB on a Firewire PB 500... no Classic Startup problems...and my classic apps that I use seem more stable (ie crash less) on the X side then on OS9.
dave

CRE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2000, 02:43 AM

I've found numerous third-party extension conflicts w/ classic. The best results I've had were booting from the copy of OS 9 used for classic, then switching to Mac OS 9 Base in the extension manager... try that and add the needed extensions slowly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules