Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > adding an extra harddrive

adding an extra harddrive
sprite
Jul 15, 2000, 10:56 PM

Is it possible to add an extra hard drive. I would like to keep the 10 gig that I have in my imac dv and add a 20 gig. I realize there isnt room in the case thats fine I have an ext. case for it . So the question is can an imac support 2 hard drives and the internal dvd drive .

MacNZ
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2000, 12:40 AM

No, the best option is to replace the internal drive with a new bigger ATA drive and then use the old internal with a USB or Firewire enclosure externally. This external drive won't be as fast but at least the drive is still usable.
Pete C. (PB12" 1.5Ghz 160GB hdd, 1.25GB RAM, OS X 10.4.11)

scottparr
Jul 18, 2000, 10:23 AM

Yes - It is - I have conversed with diff people on this subject and you can have more than one hdd inside/outside the iMac's

Do a search on diff forums on diff sites - try macfixit.com

Bockie
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2000, 10:39 AM

Technically, the answer is Yes. IDE can have a Master and a Slave HD. Effectively, the answer is No. The iMac doesn't have enough room to internally mount a second hard drive. You would have to hang an 18.0" (max length) IDE cable outside of the iMac. You would have to consider factors like external casing, cooling the HD, and shielding it from magetism/other radiation.

If you want more info�search the fora.
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

CRE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2000, 11:45 AM

Additionally, (unless they've changed it in the past couple months) from what i recall don't the sl-iMacs use a single modified IDE bus for both the DVD/CD and the HD?

I can't tell from this picture: http://www4.macnn.com/imac2day/hdinstall/08.jpg
I could swear there was only one IDE bus in the DV SE I worked on a couple months ago.

Steph
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2000, 01:46 PM

My iMac DV has only one IDE bus on which the HD is master and the DVD is slave. It can't have an extra HD without losing the DVD.

I have been told that the 1st gen iMacs have the CD and HD on separate IDE busses, but I've never played with one myself so I don't know for sure. If true then you could have a second HD if you could squeeze it in. Perhaps a 2.5" notebook HD with it's adaptor, that'd probably fit inside someplace.

--Steph

Bockie
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2000, 01:52 PM

Sorry about that...I was temporarily on crack. Yes there is only one IDE bus in the DVs...I was thinking he had an old one like me(Rev B).
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

Forum Links
Forum Rules