Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Upgrading iMac HDD - need to remove logic board?

Upgrading iMac HDD - need to remove logic board?
Fishball
Oct 15, 1999, 10:54 PM

I was told that the logic board need not be removed during this process. It is true?

Wetsponge
Oct 16, 1999, 11:59 AM

if you pop open yer iMac, you'll notice that the hard drive, cdrom, etc all lie on top of the logic board, i'm fairly certain that you need not touch the logic board in order to upgrade the hard drive.

CRE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 1999, 03:58 PM

Actually, the HD does lie under the logic board half way. I don't know if you do need to move the MB to upgrade the HD though. The installation guide here says yes, but, I can't see why: http://www.theimac.com/drive_steps.shtml

Misha
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 1999, 04:00 PM

You indeed do need to remove the logic board... it's not that big a deal, the same as if you're installing, RAM, etc...

Once the board is out, you can remove the CD-ROM drive. Below the CD-ROM drive lies the HD, which then also needs to come out and the new one installed in its place.

Like I said, it's similar to installing RAM. If you managed that (or think you can), you won't have any problem installing the HD.

------------------
Misha Sakellaropoulo
Senior Editor, MacNN
iMac2Day, iBook2Day

CRE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 1999, 10:01 PM

I just referenced the iMac Service manual from Apple... according to the service manual you do not need to remove the logic board to remove either the CD-ROM or the HD.

iMacMan
Oct 17, 1999, 01:45 PM

Well Apple is wrong on that one unless there is some sort of secret enterance on the bottom of the imac

CRE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 1999, 12:58 AM

Actually there are plenty of pictures in the service manual which make it quite clear that it' not necessary to remove it. I took out my CD-ROM today just to see if it was possible without removing the logic board and didn't have a single problem.... the HD look easy to remove too. You do need to remove the CD first, but that goes without saying. Then you remove the two screws holding the HD carrier in place and push the carrier back and then up (the same way you remove the CD-ROM).... then it pops right out at an angle.

Fishball
Oct 18, 1999, 02:18 AM

The reason why I asked this question was that I had received an email from someone a few months earlier cautioning me that the logic board need not be removed as this causes unnecessary additional work and risk to the user and the iMac.

According to the iMac2day site, the boards need to be removed to gain access to the CD ROM and HDD. But according to the pictures on the site, the CD ROM and HDD seem accessible even without the board removal.

Does anyone else have the same experience where the board need NOT be removed to upgrade HDD? Let us know.

CRE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 1999, 05:25 AM

I'll tear one of mine apart tomorrow and see if Apple's service manual is correct.... if it is I suppose I may email you a copy of the PDF.... I'm not going to send it to everyone, so please don't ask.

CRE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 1999, 12:38 PM

You do *not* need to remove the logic board! I just removed the HD of one of my iMacs, per Apple's instructions.... piece of cake! And a lot less screws to remove! Just watch the little metal tabs on the back of the hard drive carrier. Fishball and Misha If you want a copy of the PDF service manual let me know.

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by CRE (edited 10-18-1999).]

Fishball
Oct 18, 1999, 09:12 PM

CRE,

Would certainly appreciate if you could email me the copy of the PDF manual. I would really want to look at it and replace my hard disk myself if possible.

Could you let me know what is the brand and spec of HD that you replaced your iMac one with? ATA 33 type etc? Is there anything I should look out for when replacing the HD?

My email is :
[email protected]

Thanks!!...:-)

CRE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 1999, 10:51 PM

Actually, I haven't replaced mine yet.

Fishball
Oct 18, 1999, 11:25 PM

oh sorry, I thought you had replaced it. Btu do you have the manual anyway?

THanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules