Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > London MAC IT support recomendations

London MAC IT support recomendations
skew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2008, 02:07 PM

Hi all, happy 2008.

I have just drafted this brief below to get in quotes for some IT support for our workgroup. I was wondering if there are any London based members that have had any good experiences with support firms here? Recommendations anyone?

I must say that a lot of the advice that got us up to the current setup came from the members of MACNN so thanks again.

Many thanks.

SKEW

PS: I've posted the brief below only to give you an indication of the level of support we're looking for. I'm not asking for help beyond a recommendation. That said, if you'd like to chip in with other advice then thanks, it all helps.

MODS: Wasn't sure where to put this. Apologies if it's in the wrong place, I did look honest

-------------------------------------------

To whom it may concern.

I am the MD of a creative agency called SKEW. I am looking to get in a quote for an upgrade and service agreement for our Mac setup. I have listed as many details as I think are relevant at the bottom of this letter.

Up to this point I have been administering 6 macs myself. I have been using macs since about System 7 through to Leopard, growing from a sole trader with one mac through to our current position as a 6 member design team. During the past year we have been using an old powermac running a client version of OS10.4.9 as a file / print server and updating each workstation individually. We will need to add another two or three workstations to our setup within the first couple of months of 2008. The last clean overhaul of the systems from 10.4 to 10.5 took four of us the better part of two days and I feel we are reaching a point of diminishing returns in terms of self administration. Also, once we add two more workstations I’m concerned that the old G4 won’t be up to the task of serving the workgroup. I’d also like to take advantage of OSX’s server specific features.

So, to summarise I’d like a quote on:
• Advising us on our immediate needs re purchasing decisions.
• Setup of the new network and training / handover for self admin on a day to day basis.
• Ongoing support options.

Current Hardware Setup.
• MacBook Pro (care expires 16/10/10)
• Mac Pro x2 (care expires 29/04/10)
• Powermac G5 1.8DP x2 (care expired)
• Intel iMac CD2 / 2.44
• Powermac G4/433DP – being used as a file / print server.
NB: The server is running a client version of OS10.4.9. We are currently using this only for file and print services. We have a 1T external hard disk attached as a shared work drive.

Network: All systems connected by giga ethernet. We also have a wireless router to provide net access. The router is then fed into a 10 port switch.

Significant Peripherals.
• Epson Stylus Pro 3800
• Cannon i9950
• HP Laserjet 2605
• Epson scanners *2

System:
• All Macs are running a clean install of 10.5.1
• Users are set up on a normal login.
• A second admin user is set up on each system.
• Firewall is on each system set to “set access for specific services and applications”

Backup Scheme. We’re currently using Prosoft’s Data Backup 3. The 1T drive is backed up daily to two rotating 1T drives. The daily redundant drive is kept on site ( we’re looking to get a firesafe) Currently the workstations home folders or locally saved files are not backed up.

Significant third party software.
• CS3
• Suitcase fusion ( client )
• Office 2004.
• Comms: filechute / transmit / .mac
--wake up--

Forum Links
Forum Rules