Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > value of apple powerbook memory

value of apple powerbook memory
reemas
Senior User
Jun 10, 2004, 03:25 AM

im looking into getting new memory and currently have 2 256 chips in my pb.
i want to get a 1 gig stick, but considering i won't need one of those 256 mb sticks, can i sell it? is it worth anything?

i had a hard time finding official apple ram on ebay. and its still under warranty, so would that help the price any?
( Last edited by reemas; Jun 10, 2004 at 03:34 AM. )

SplijinX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2004, 06:56 AM

It's not worth squat. Just check out this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

There is no "official" Apple memory, since they get their supply from one of the big memory manufacturers, and rarely does ram go bad, if it works then it�s likely to outlive the life of your computer.

Best bet is to give it to a friend who might need it or punch and hole in it and make a keychain
Are those free-ranged animal crackers?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2004, 07:59 AM

All the most recent machines I have bought, have had the same Brand RAM as crucial supplies.
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Jun 10, 2004 at 08:20 AM. )

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2004, 08:10 AM

most apple memory is made by Crucial. if you have a TiBook, you have PC133 SoDIMMs and you won't get much for them... probably $20 a piece if your lucky... if you have an AlBook you have PC2700 SoDIMM. You should be able to get $30 a piece.

Chris Bucher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 10, 2004, 01:58 PM

i ebayed my 256 pb AL chips and got about $22 for one and $10 for the other. The $10 buyer has been a major pain. he has emailed me numerous times, after the he recieved the item asking things like "will this work in my dell?" and of course "how do you install this in my dell?" very frustrating. BTW I got a 1 gig and a 512 chip from new egg very cheaply. good luck

aaron6166
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2004, 03:10 AM

IMO, best thing to do is sell it at a fixed price of 40 or 50 per stick (that's the most you can expect to get for them). Advertise that it's guaranteed to work in a Mac (obviously, b/c it came from one). Try selling it at a fixed price instead of an auction. The reasoning is: I don't suspect demand is high for 256mb sticks, so you won't get many bids, and your price will be dirt cheap (hence, not good for you). Personally, I'd rather hang on to my 2 256 sticks than sell them for $32 - shipping.

In addition, 1gb chips aren't available in the linear price/capacity scheme like the 256 or 512mb sticks are. For example, 256mb sticks are roughly $50, and 512mb sticks are roughly $100 (2x50). But 1gb chips are about $300 (3x100). Unless you plan on hitting 2gb of ram before you replace your powerbook, get 2 x 512mb sticks instead of throwing away an extra $100 for a 1gb stick.

Forum Links
Forum Rules