Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB1.25 doesn't always wake up with 10.4

PB1.25 doesn't always wake up with 10.4
Chris Bucher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2005, 09:07 AM

I did a clean install of Tiger last week. All went well, although I came up with a bad RAM chip. I removed it, so now I have a PB G4 1.25, w1GBram.

I haven't really seen any pattern, but about once a day when the computer is in sleep, when I go to wake it up I hear the drive spin up, but the screen stays powered down. The only thing that I can do is a ctrl, apple restart. It doesn't matter if I wake it up by opening the lid or by pressing the keyboard.

I don't take plug or unplug anything while it is sleeping, the power cord is almost always in and I am plugged into a samsung syncmaster.

I have rarely seen this problem previously--and I have had this unit for about 1 year.

any help would be appreciated.

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2005, 09:11 AM

I recently purchase a new PB, and a few times mine has done the same. It appears to be not pattern. For example, I put mine to sleep and transport to work (40 minute drive) and open it up to a black screen. Moreover, I put it to sleep on my desktop over night, and it wakes up fine in the morning.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2005, 09:13 AM

I've had this problem pre-tiger. Perhaps the new OS exacerbates it but I kind of doubt that. At point either hear or another discussion board mentioned a key combination that may work from time to time w/o forcing the computer off. Some times for me just hitting the F2 works.

Mike

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2005, 09:18 AM

The only thing I found on the matter, in Apple discussion boards is this

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86181

Chris Bucher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2005, 11:49 PM

I had this problem before, but it usually had to do with a usb mouse, or usb printer getting pulled out or something like that.

I also noticed that my Logitech BT 900 mouse is also very slow to start up after it wakes up from sleep. I wonder if the 2 things aren't somehow connected?

any thoughts--I hate having to do hard restarts sometimes a couple times a day.

hubertusbreuer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2005, 08:58 AM

I have had this problem and found it discussed on numerous websites. In my case the powerbook the screensaver should have turned on after a while but instead the screen just went black and I could not wake it up. So I had to let it crash. The solution that worked for me was to to archive&install of Tiger. Like you, I just had Tiger installed previously.

mhuie
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2005, 04:46 PM

I have had similar issues, the PB is on, but there is no screen activity. Usually I have to hold down the power to power it off, then power it back on.

And like powermacj7, I only get this issue when I am transporting it somewhere (happens about 30-40% of the time) . When it sits on my desk only it wakes up fine.

Heres a thread I posted, it seems to be an Apple issue.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=244754
MBP 1.83

Chris Bucher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2005, 10:03 AM

as advised, I did an archive and install and it seems like it is working correctly now, although it also brought up a "transport monitor" conflict that I have finally worked out. It has been about 24 hours with no lockups which is much, much better.

the bluetooth hookup seems faster as well

thanks for the help

Forum Links
Forum Rules