Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ram slot problem?

ram slot problem?
Chris Bucher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2005, 10:05 AM

I keep putting new 1 gb ddr ram chips and they keep going south on me. they have been largely transcend. I already have one in the main slot which seems perfectly good. So I am wondering if there is a way to check to see if the slot is bad? I guess I will continue to check to see if they work in different configurations. thanks
CB

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2005, 11:56 AM

You could always try running the Hardware Test on your OS X Installer CD/DVD.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2005, 02:01 PM

What Powerbook do you have?
If it's a 15" then it's a well known problem and I *think* Apple will replace the logic board for free.

Chris Bucher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2005, 04:43 PM

yeah I have a 15 in 1.25g.

When I have start the unit, with the ram in it, the desktop opens and all the stuff on the desktop is there, but the cursor locks up and the unit is totally unresponsive. when I take that slot out, it works fine.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 2, 2005, 04:48 PM

Yep. Get that board replaced, although you'll just get the same type of board with the same inherent problem, much like the old iBook G3's.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2005, 05:00 PM

Well on my 17" pwerbook the cover to the ram was actually so close to the RAM chip the same thing was happening. I currently dont have any ram in the slot since i kept blowing out the chips, it seems some type of isulator that would protect the chip from the metal cover touching it may be my solution. Hope its as easy on yours. Check the clearance of the RAM to the RAM cover if it looks too close it probrobly is touching the RAM.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2005, 11:07 PM

You are right seanc, this is a well known problem - it happened to my 15" PB but Apple will only replace the Logic board if the PB has warranty - if not, then the cost of a new L/board is 600 pounds sterling payable by the owner .... as in my case ...
Sorry, but the 'pound' sign on my keyboard has suddenly become a # sign for no apparent reason - but that's another post!!

Chris Bucher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2005, 11:13 PM

I have applecare. should I just take it in to my local applestore or should I call applecare first?

Is this something they can take care of at the applestore or does it need to go "out" for service?

thanks!

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2005, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Bucher
I have applecare. should I just take it in to my local applestore or should I call applecare first?

Is this something they can take care of at the applestore or does it need to go "out" for service?

thanks!
Hi Chris,
I would call Applecare first, then if the L/board does indeed need replacing you may have to part company with it and send it 'out' for service. On the other hand your local Apple store may employ a techie who would be able to do the repair - as does a company called 'Cancom' an official Apple re-seller here in London on Kensington High Street who fixed the L/board in my PB.
Although when my PB needed a new screen (white spot syndrome) it was recalled by Apple and repaired in Holland ...!!
If you have to send it away, make sure you have backed up all your data onto an external HD to prevent any potential data loss - but you know that already I'm sure!
Good luck
voicebox

bighead
Senior User
Oct 3, 2005, 07:27 PM

Actually, it is likely not the logic board. The 1.25 GHz 15" had a much pickier time with RAM than do later PowerBook G4s. If you buy RAM certified for that machine from a vendor like Crucial or OWC, you shouldn't have any problems. I have seen generic AND name brand PC2700 SODIMMs that meet spec but don't work (hence them not being certified for that machine.)

Before jumping on the board bandwagon, make sure you're using RAM intended for that 'book.
the bighead

- MacBook Pro 15" matte non-unibody 2.6 GHz, 4GB RAM, 120/SSD & 750GB/7200
- PM G4 Dual 1.25 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 1x320 boot, 1x2TB TM Backup - 2x1TB & 2x3TB Archive/Backup

voicebox
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2005, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by bighead
Actually, it is likely not the logic board. The 1.25 GHz 15" had a much pickier time with RAM than do later PowerBook G4s. If you buy RAM certified for that machine from a vendor like Crucial or OWC, you shouldn't have any problems. I have seen generic AND name brand PC2700 SODIMMs that meet spec but don't work (hence them not being certified for that machine.)

Before jumping on the board bandwagon, make sure you're using RAM intended for that 'book.
Good point bighead, RAM with the correct spec is essential and should be checked before pointing the finger at the L/board. I have always bought RAM for my PB and iMac from Crucial with no problems whatsoever and they do offer a lifetime guarantee.
In my case, the lower memory slot failed immediately after upgrading to 10.4 'Tiger' - a coincidence maybe ... Even after checking and swapping memory modules around, the lower memory slot as viewed in System Profiler was still showing empty. The only cure was to have a new L/board installed.
Sadly, this is a well known problem with 15" PB's - click on the following link in order to see how bad it is. Some people are on their 2nd and 3rd L/boards!
http://lowermemoryslot.editkid.com/
voicebox

Forum Links
Forum Rules