Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Rainbow around the sun

Rainbow around the sun
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2007, 06:37 PM

I was eating lunch at an outdoor cafe today when I looked up and noticed a perfectly round rainbow encircling the sun, and a regular rainbow off on the horizon. I've never seen that before and thought it was pretty nifty. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me and the cell phone cam was about useless for taking pictures of the sun. A local news station did have some pics, although they really don't do it justice:

Some more pics on the photo gallery on this page
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Jun 15, 2007 at 06:56 PM. )
Nemo me impune lacesset

bstone
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2007, 07:25 PM

I was at the Rainbow Gathering a few summers ago and a rainbow formed around the sun during the 4th of July Circle for Peace. It was amazing. Certainly 20,000 hippies were very enthused about having a rainbow form around the sun just at the moment that they were all holding hands in a very large circle and OMing. Videos of it floating on youtube.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 07:29 PM

I've seen a similar type of ring around the moon at times. Never really look up at the sun, since you know, it hurts and stuff.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2007, 07:49 PM

Needs more lens fl—oh, never mind.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I've seen a similar type of ring around the moon at times. Never really look up at the sun, since you know, it hurts and stuff.
Agreed, looking at the sun is rather uncomfortable. That's why after I initially noticed it, I averted my precious baby-blues and made my girlfriend stare at it good and hard and describe it in detail so I could form a safe, comfortable mental picture. Took her a good twenty minutes of hard staring before she gave me enough detail that I could picture it. Now she just keeps complaining that she can't see. I guess it always has to be about her. Cause she's selfish. But I digress.

All joking aside, when I got home I was going to try taking a look through my welding helmet, but by then the halo had pretty much dissipated so I didn't bother.

I have seen halos around the moon, like you said. My grandmother in the old county called it faerie fire and said it meant bad weather was coming. But those aren't neat rainbow colors. I did see a rainbow on a full moon night one time, so maybe that is possible. That'd be something to see.
Nemo me impune lacesset

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2007, 08:42 PM

Needs more unicorns.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 08:48 PM

These happen often in the winter where I live. Usually on days when there are alot of ice crystals in the air. They're call Sun Dogs
Sun dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2007, 08:52 PM

This is a clear sign of the initial phases of the apocalypse.

Everybody back up their hard drives tonight.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2007, 09:53 PM

Everybody back up their hard drives tonight.
Snort!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 10:50 PM

cirrus clouds are some trippy sh!t man.

ha. news 10 now. what a joke. come on now, central ny isn't that newsworthy, stop kipping yourselves- especially now that the string of murders in syracuse (sayre-a-cuse?) have either stopped or stopped being covered.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 11:31 PM

The sun, showing it's pride.
I didn't know he was out.

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2007, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n View Post
cirrus clouds are some trippy sh!t man.

ha. news 10 now. what a joke. come on now, central ny isn't that newsworthy, stop kipping yourselves- especially now that the string of murders in syracuse (sayre-a-cuse?) have either stopped or stopped being covered.

It's a joke indeed. Time Warner bought the old train station and renovated it into a news studio, then promptly laid off most of the staff and now broadcasts the Syracuse news from their studio in Albany. The only thing broadcast from here is the weather now. And why is that you, ask? Well, who woulda thunk it, there just ain't enough happening in Albany or Syracuse to support two broadcasting studios. No wonder my cable bill is so high with such a pack of tards running the show.

Which murders? The serial killer? He got caught and convicted. Or do mean the gang banger shootings that have become a rather more frequent event?
Nemo me impune lacesset

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2007, 04:36 PM

the gang banger stuff downtown.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 16, 2007, 05:08 PM

What's (to me anyway) more magical than a perfect sun rainbow, is a perfect MOON rainbow. They're rare because they need a fairly full moon and more constrained conditions than a sun rainbow, but they make up for it in the wonder they inspire. Like silent fireworks.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Tiresias
Jun 16, 2007, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
These happen often in the winter where I live. Usually on days when there are alot of ice crystals in the air. They're call Sun Dogs
Sun dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No no no. A sun dog (or parhelion) is a bright spot in the sky appearing on either side of the sun, formed by refraction of sunlight through ice crystals high in the earth's atmosphere.

An icebow (or aureola or corona) is a circle of light surrounding the sun or moon due to diffraction by water droplets.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2007, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
No no no. A sun dog (or parhelion) is a bright spot in the sky appearing on either side of the sun, formed by refraction of sunlight through ice crystals high in the earth's atmosphere.

An icebow (or aureola or corona) is a circle of light surrounding the sun or moon due to diffraction by water droplets.

They would seem to be related. Your wikipedia article calls the following image an icebow, yet it also has bright spots on either side

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2007, 10:48 PM

I did a little reading last night, and it would appear that what I saw is called a 22° Circular Halo. Some interesting info at Atmospheric Optics (found that link at the bottom of the wiki you posted Wisk )if anyone is interested. My understanding is that sun dogs are indeed the bright points along the circumference of the radial.

Wiskedjak, you said they appear fairly often where you live. If I remember correctly, you're someone where in Canadia. Just curious. Are you way up north?
Nemo me impune lacesset

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2007, 11:14 PM

Four more in the last two days, but I think I'm going to have to give these mooks lessons on how to shoot, cuz lately they can't hit jack. What's the point of shooting someone in the finger? This story from yesterday's Sub-Standard, a guy shoots another guy in the head because he wouldn't share his cookies, is my favorite (note- it didn't kill him, just pissed him off). And tell me this isn't an awesome quote:
Originally Posted by Shot in the head guy
"I want Dontae arrested for trying to kill me," Robinson told police. "He ran up behind me and shot me real close in the back of the head, and that just ain't right."
Nemo me impune lacesset

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2007, 11:53 PM

</off-topic>
TI and d4n,

How bad is this crime-wave and is it just in the "bad" pat of Syracuse or all over the city? Two months ago my Mom moved to De Witt to be near two of her sisters--She is right off I-481 on the E. Genesee street exit--and I thought she would be safe up there. Is that a wrong assumption to make? It seems pretty tame where she is but I have visited only a couple times.
</off-topic>
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2007, 12:02 AM

Naw, Dewitt is fine, not too much to worry about out that way. Tends to be the more upscale 'burbs. She night have a tough time finding sheets with a thread count of less than 600, but that's about it. She should have some interesting reading in the Sunday Sub-Standard tomorrow about the tonight's "Juneteenth" celebration. Stabbings and shootings oh-my. I thought I would have an interesting walk home tonight, but they've cleared the whole mob out of downtown so it was nothing but clear sailing and crime scene tape. Most of this **** happens over on the south side. I live downtown and I honestly don't see too much go on, unless as I said you head south.

The Fed's actually came in a couple of years ago and routed the two biggest and most violent gangs on RICO statutes, so most of what's going on now is small-timers, wanna-bes and jackasses.

On topic: Rainbows sure is swell!
Nemo me impune lacesset

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2007, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Wiskedjak, you said they appear fairly often where you live. If I remember correctly, you're someone where in Canadia. Just curious. Are you way up north?
Not necessarily "way" up north. Calgary. By "often", I mean to say that I saw about 3 halos this winter (and 1 last week). Also saw a few sun dogs in the winter. Last week was the first time I can recall seeing a halo outside of winter. I think I see sun dogs/halos at least as often as I've seen rainbows.

Tiresias
Jun 17, 2007, 04:31 AM

ThinkInsane—you enjoy Poe. Am I right or am I right?

Sig.

"I forget your arms."
"A huge human foot d'or, in a field azure; the foot crushes a serpent rampant whose fangs are imbedded in the heel."
"And the motto?"
"Nemo me impune lacessit."
"Good!" he said.
The wine sparkled in his eyes and the bells jingled.

—The Cask of Amontillado
Location.

`Be that word our sign of parting, bird or fiend!' I shrieked upstarting -
`Get thee back into the tempest and the Night's Plutonian shore!
Leave no black plume as a token of that lie thy soul hath spoken!
Leave my loneliness unbroken! - quit the bust above my door!
Take thy beak from out my heart, and take thy form from off my door!'
Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

—The Raven.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 17, 2007, 05:30 AM

It was te sun's death rays trying to hit Al Gore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules