Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > first iphone review maybe this thing will suck after all

first iphone review maybe this thing will suck after all
macfantn
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2007, 03:31 PM

"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

Cold Warrior
Jun 23, 2007, 03:41 PM

Meh. A pathetically thin review, critical of a few tiny things but offering no insight or review of its more compelling features, such as calling, interface, and music player.

A worthless review.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2007, 04:02 PM

The iPhone is being hyped so much, everybody wants to be the rebel cowboy who knocks it down.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2007, 04:51 PM

That pretty sums up what I was expecting. Not a deal killer yet though.

I'm more interested in assessments of its other features, including battery life (considering you can't swap its batteries).

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Jun 23, 2007, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Meh. A pathetically thin review, critical of a few tiny things but offering no insight or review of its more compelling features, such as calling, interface, and music player.

A worthless review.
A smartphone's text input ability is important and integral to the UI experience, if you're planning on using it for e-mail/internet/etc.

It's not a worthless review, it's just an incomplete look because the phone is being kept under wraps by Apple. The flaws mentioned here are significant.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2007, 05:11 PM

It's been amusing seeing the negative press about the iPhone all week. Lots of would-be critics trying to cash in on the hype. I admit the iPhone hysteria can be over the top, but in their negative reactions to the hype some critics are throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

As far as text input goes, people will have to try it out for themselves and see how they like it. I don't find BlackBerry and Treo keyboards particularly easy to type on, and have read many reviews that say the same (they also break CONSTANTLY). Yet the moment someone tried something different, those tiny keyboards apparently became paragons of usability.

It's not unlike the early criticism of the iPod that it's 'nothing new' because hard disk-based players already existed. Nevermind that previous hard disk players were crap.
( Last edited by itai195; Jun 23, 2007 at 05:17 PM. )

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2007, 05:16 PM

The iPhone has got me interested in buying a smartphone, but I think I may go with another company who has more experience making mobiles, like Nokia.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2007, 05:19 PM

This is not even a review, it's just a collection of all negativity about iPhone

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2007, 05:54 PM

"It won't replace a BlackBerry. It's not good for text input. It's just not a business product."
Weak
we don't have time to stop for gas

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2007, 06:12 PM

Poo poo.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2007, 06:12 PM

I don't think anyone really expects the iPhone to be great at text input... it's for multimedia and web pages, not typing away.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2007, 06:23 PM

The text input is going to kill people who want to use it as a multi-communication (e-mail and text messaging) device.

I went to a concert last year and sat next to a couple of kids with those SideKicks. They were typing with two thumbs, and I couldn't believe how quickly they were writting messages to people.

No tactile feedback makes it difficult to use a keyboard. Why else do people seek out keyboards with deep keypresses and good feedback? People tend to make more typing mistakes on laptop keyboards because they're so flat - so imagine trying to input text on something that has no feedback. It's a legitimate flaw to point out.

I'd be interested to see if anyone can give a purely objective review of the iPhone - its good and bad points. No loyal Apple fanboy will ever admit that the iPhone is less than perfect, so it's up to the others to point out its flaws to potential buyers.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2007, 06:31 PM

People with big thumbs and/or fingers are going to probably have a hard time typing with the iPhone.

QuimZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2007, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
I'd be interested to see if anyone can give a purely objective review of the iPhone - its good and bad points. No loyal Apple fanboy will ever admit that the iPhone is less than perfect, so it's up to the others to point out its flaws to potential buyers.
QFT. I'm with you on this. I want multiple, because I don't trust a single "objective" review on a $600 phone that has the word Apple etched on it.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2007, 08:15 AM

I don't think anybody in this thread can make any judgement whatsoever about the keypad input on iPhone.

It has predictive word completion and error correction, in addition to a touch interface we really can't judge without having used it.

Using two thumbs to type on a visible is a radically different situation from touch-typing.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2007, 08:59 AM

I really wish reviews like this could dampen my enthusiasm for this device, but for some reason I'm really looking forward to this. I guess we have put up with crappy devices for so long that this is welcome, regardless how it performs.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
People with big thumbs and/or fingers are going to probably have a hard time typing with the iPhone.
Curse my big thumbs. Always getting me in trouble. People with big thumbs will have issues with ANY cell phone, unless they carry around a keyboard with them.

Really, people like me with big fingers (ok, Men with big hands) just have to suck it up and deal with it. Seriously.

You want a good review? Get a bunch of high school and college kids, boys and girls, give them iPhones for a month. Then get back to me with the results. Screw the tech writers.

(While you're at it, do the same test with a group of Japanese kids. You'd probably have VERY different results.)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
You want a good review? Get a bunch of high school and college kids, boys and girls, give them iPhones for a month. Then get back to me with the results. Screw the tech writers.

(While you're at it, do the same test with a group of Japanese kids. You'd probably have VERY different results.)
Yes, for that Apple will need to release the much-rumored iRobotDog.
Chuck
___

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2007, 11:20 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited about the iPhone. I'm not getting one yet (just bought a camera), but I'll almost definitely purchase one in the future. Too many cool features to get upset about the one thing I see as a potential problem. But I also have skinny fingers, so I'm not worried about the text input.

But it's worth pointing out that the predictive text and error correction bullcrap has been around for a while. It's not foolproof. That being said, I don't think it's an iPhone-specific problem--many people have trouble typing even on Blackberries and Treos.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam
The text input is going to kill people who want to use it as a multi-communication (e-mail and text messaging) device.
So you’re saying they’ve also added lethal weaponry in the keyboard?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
So you’re saying they’ve also added lethal weaponry in the keyboard?
Actually, now it's sounding like a real winner.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2007, 12:12 PM

Eh, typing on a tiny screen with your thumbs is unnatural and difficult whether it's on a physical keyboard or on a touch screen. If people can learn how to do it on a blackberry, they can learn how to do it on the iPhone.

I wonder if an option for a landscape-oriented keyboard would make typing easier.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2007, 12:57 PM

Ineresting points to say the least... I can't wait to check one out in person and then compare it to this Sony Ericsson P1 - Full phone specifications
The iphone is definitely going to have the prettiest/brightest screen and form factor.

I've been using the P900 for over 3 years now, and it's been doing most of the stuff touted by the iphone since then, minus the bells and whistles of course. But I do want to replace it since it's quite beaten up now. For me, it's a toss up between the iphone and sonyericsson's P1

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
Ineresting points to say the least... I can't wait to check one out in person and then compare it to this Sony Ericsson P1 - Full phone specifications
"3G Yes, 384 kbps
WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11b"

what?

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2007, 01:48 PM

What don't you uderstand about that?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2007, 01:50 PM

UMTS does 3.6 MEGAbits per second.

WLAN is two generations beyond what they offer.

Oh wait, I forgot: WAP sucks, so nobody will be using data connections for more than e-mail on those things anyway.

Nevermind; I have understood it now.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2007, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
UMTS does 3.6 MEGAbits per second.
No, it doesn't. HSDPA does. Plain UMTS is only 384kbit/s.

WLAN is two generations beyond what they offer.
It's a phone, what are you going to be doing with it which needs more than 11Mbit/s?

highstakes
Senior User
Jun 24, 2007, 04:08 PM

I want to get one regardless of the flaws pointed out in the review, too bad its stuck with AT&T for a few years.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Angus_D View Post
No, it doesn't. HSDPA does. Plain UMTS is only 384kbit/s.
HSDPA is an extension of UMTS, isn't it?

It's a phone, what are you going to be doing with it which needs more than 11Mbit/s?
Synchronize my iTunes library! - well, I guess that doesn't apply to the Sony-Ericsson, huh.

You have a point.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2007, 04:31 PM

Yeah, but that phone doesn't seem to be an HSDPA phone. It's just UMTS, which is slower (but still better than EDGE).

Synchronize my iTunes library!
Syncing your iTunes library seems to me like something you'd probably want to connect with an actual USB 2.0 cable for.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2007, 04:35 PM

Yes, but it still needs hardware support in the phone (and at the BTS). Not all 3G coverage areas have HSDPA. Not all 3G handsets have HSDPA.

sweatervest
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2007, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Curse my big thumbs. Always getting me in trouble. People with big thumbs will have issues with ANY cell phone, unless they carry around a keyboard with them.

Really, people like me with big fingers (ok, Men with big hands) just have to suck it up and deal with it. Seriously.
Yeah, I'm hoping being a girl with (super) tiny hands helps me out when using the iPhone's keyboard. If I can't properly type with my thumbs, I think I'd have a tough time convincing myself to buy one. Might as well just use my (super annoying) Razr at that point.

irunat2am
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2007, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
DAMNIT! :
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2007, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by irunat2am View Post
DAMNIT! :
Seriously. How is anyone surprised at this? Especially people who have used smart phones before? Heck, my nokia and I have fights all the time because of my big thumbs.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2007, 01:40 PM

The soft keypad can be easily fixed with software updates and I don't see how the touch-screen needs hard presses to register anything as that isn't how the display even works.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2007, 02:05 PM

I'm surprised how people start to realize that this is NOT a replacement for a laptop.

Wasn't that obviosu from the beginning ?

The iPhone ha sthe following intended uses:

* iPod (video, music)
* phone
* portable internet

Everything else is (IMO) added functionality that works, but the iPhone is NOT supposed to excel at text input.

I think it's good at what it's main intended use is, and it will sell well for that.

-t

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I'm surprised how people start to realize that this is NOT a replacement for a laptop.
Would you say that a BlackBerry is a replacement for a laptop?

To many people, especially of the younger generation, texting is at least as important as voice calls. I'd also say that probably a lot of people consider text input to be a fairly important part of the "portable internet".

So, you know, it's a valid concern. I reserve judgement until after release.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 06:24 PM

Why does it say texting or typing is a must for businesses? Most people who use their phones for business use it to make PHONE CALLS. What idiot sends texts messages on his business phone? Maybe emails, but why email when you can call?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 06:30 PM

Would you say that a BlackBerry is a replacement for a laptop?
No, not in my opinion.

To many people, especially of the younger generation, texting is at least as important as voice calls. I'd also say that probably a lot of people consider text input to be a fairly important part of the "portable internet".
That's what a sidekick is for.

Texting (SMS) is surely NOT the main use for the iPhone.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Why does it say texting or typing is a must for businesses? Most people who use their phones for business use it to make PHONE CALLS. What idiot sends texts messages on his business phone? Maybe emails, but why email when you can call?
Psst, it's a secret.

You can save years of your life if you just call instead of sending countless emails and / or text messages.

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 06:37 PM

The SMS interface is one of the features Apple touts, so it's at least a big use.
Chuck
___

OreoCookie
Jun 26, 2007, 08:27 PM

So now the first serious reviews are in and some of the conclusions are: Mossberg says: the keyboard issue is a non-issue (it took five days to get accustomed to it, but after some initial frustration, he types as fast on it as on his Treo). The NYT concludes that it `lives up to most of its hype' which -- considering the reading on my hypometer -- a big compliment. No scratches, relatively good battery life … it seems Apple hit a jackpot

So far the biggest downside seems to be AT&T
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Jun 26, 2007 at 08:42 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Mossberg says: the keyboard issue is a non-issue
Of course he does.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

OreoCookie
Jun 26, 2007, 09:12 PM

I've read three reviews, two of them say that it works ok, not as good as as a natural keyboard, but well enough, one says, it works just fine. All of the reviews I've seen say that it's not a major let-down even compared to the hype (which is saying something considering how much hype there is around the iPhone).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Of course he does.
Eh, his initial post on it sounded surprisingly negative.
Chuck
___

OreoCookie
Jun 26, 2007, 09:26 PM

In the video, he says (about typing on the iPhone) that `after three days I was ready to throw it out of the windows', but `after five, I was as fast as on my Treo'.

I don't take his words for granted, I haven't held the iPhone in my hands, let alone did I have a week to try it. And if the expectations are so high, I think it's a big compliment if the first reviews don't say that it sucks.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2007, 09:32 PM

Sadly, I fear all the pre-iPhone stock dumping will end after all these glowing reviews. Time for another rocketship. Better invest quick, y'all.
Chuck
___

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2007, 10:45 PM

Adding Exchange support is definitely a step in the right direction. If they provided Lotus Notes support, too, that would cover 90% of the business user base...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2007, 11:13 PM

-t
Texting (MMS) sure isn't anyway. Silly Apple.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2007, 11:23 PM

Secret iPhone Details Lost in a Sea of Hype and Hate

It is therefore interesting to compare the news sources that gushed over the Zune--with little information from Microsoft--and encouraged their readers to blow $250 on one, because they are today providing a non-stop emergency warning siren that ignores everything we’ve been told by Apple about the iPhone to instead present a climate of panicked fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

Forum Links
Forum Rules