Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I just saw a grown man cry

I just saw a grown man cry (Page 2)
abe
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
What you're missing is that this thread was not political until someone made it that way, and that someone is named Doofy. Now others are offering up political statements because of it.

And guess what, this forum isn't a democracy. Its run by mods and the mods have the final say around here. If you have a power struggle issue going on with the mods, thats your problem. Don't go derailing threads because you feel your "rights" are being violated by the mods.
Honestly, it pissed me off all over again, the way our government failed so many people when a part of the United States of America was turned into the third world and our own citizens were left to fend for themselves, and some to die. To try and survive in filth and squalor without benefit of food, potable water and medicine. And it pissed me off at myself, because I didn't even remember the the anniversary of may well be the worst natural disaster in our nations history.
Political commentary.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
I'm sorry, but you're wrong. Doofy derailed this thread, period. He made it political, not ThinkInsane.
Wrong.

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Honestly, it pissed me off all over again, the way our government failed so many people when a part of the United States of America was turned into the third world and our own citizens were left to fend for themselves, and some to die. To try and survive in filth and squalor without benefit of food, potable water and medicine.
So, this bloke who was crying made TI pissed off at the government when it's clear from the bloke's own story that he was the one to blame for his predicament (for not evacuating when the government told him to). How is shifting the blame for this bloke's misfortune onto the government not political?

And eventually, they heard a helicopter over the house, and they banged on the roof, and heard a thump up top and saw start. A square dropped out and a helmeted head popped through and the man attached said "Ya'll need a lift?".

And he started to choke up a bit then, and he said to me "I was a navy man, and I ain't never heard anybody in the navy say nothing good about the Coast Guard. But I tell you those boys swooped in in their choppers like angels from on high and saved 30,000 people that everyone had written off for dead. And I tell you if I ever hear a man bad mouth those boys again, sailor or no, I'll bust him in his ignorant mouth."
I trust that these were Mexican Coast Guard. Because, you know, the US government did jack about it and left their people to rot. That's why TI's pissed off at them.

This thread has had "political" running through it from the OP. Period.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

abe
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Wrong.

So, this bloke who was crying made TI pissed off at the government when it's clear from the bloke's own story that he was the one to blame for his predicament (for not evacuating when the government told him to). How is shifting the blame for this bloke's misfortune onto the government not political?

I trust that these were Mexican Coast Guard. Because, you know, the US government did jack about it and left their people to rot. That's why TI's pissed off at them.

This thread has had "political" running through it from the OP. Period.
Absolutely.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2007, 06:45 PM

I did feel that there was a political tilt to the OP, but I didn't feel like commenting. I'm not sure whether or not TI's inferred slant was reason in itself for this thread to be moved to the P/W Lounge, but it definitely needs to be moved now.

abe
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I did feel that there was a political tilt to the OP, but I didn't feel like commenting. I'm not sure whether or not TI's inferred slant was reason in itself for this thread to be moved to the P/W Lounge, but it definitely needs to be moved now.
Agreed.

And my P/L privileges should be reinstated as well.

Please?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2007, 07:09 PM

Yes, it was a fine post. Except the political statement.
No, the political statement was fine. Not everything even remotely related to politics HAVE to go in the Pol/War Hell. Stop your backseat modding.

I can't even decide which was worse, Graviton's thoughtless joke or your derailment.

Oh, and heartfelt story there TI. My fiancé had a similar one on a plane to LA. But that was right after it had happened, and the man was on his way to New Orleans to visit his family.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Rumor
Aug 29, 2007, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
Agreed.

And my P/L privileges should be reinstated as well.

Please?
It's been pretty dull in there without you, IMO.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I can't even decide which was worse, Graviton's thoughtless joke or your derailment.
Derailment?

You wanna tell me where the train was originally headed before anyone replied?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Aug 29, 2007, 07:45 PM

Derailment?

You wanna tell me where the train was originally headed before anyone replied?
Originally Posted by - - e r i k - -
Oh, and heartfelt story there TI. My fiancé had a similar one on a plane to LA. But that was right after it had happened, and the man was on his way to New Orleans to visit his family.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Did I tell you that my mom's friend's niece's cat's vet's uncle's proctologist met a bloke who saw someone loot a 7-11 in New Orleans in the aftermath of Katrina?

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 29, 2007, 08:19 PM

Wow. All I can say is that there are a couple of people posting in here that have a lot of growing up to do. Can't say I'm really shocked about that.

Doofy, you can tell me what I meant and what my intentions were all you want, but go ahead and do it via PM, because you ruined this thread. And just an FYI, when I said I was getting it "off my chest", I was referring to the whole story and how it got to me, not the government reponse and lack there off.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Aug 29, 2007 at 09:15 PM. )
Nemo me impune lacesset

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 29, 2007, 09:06 PM

There is more than enough political mud to sling here. Louisiana's governor didn't ask for help from the Feds because she thought it would look bad for her to ask for help from a Republican administration. The administration didn't press the issue sufficiently. NOBODY made it clear to the residents in NO that Katrina was VERY BAD and that evacuation orders were not suggestions.

But this did NOT start out as political-it started out as a heartfelt statement that the accumulation of screw ups in 2005 wound up gutting a wonderful, historical and enormously vibrant city, one that hasn't gotten back on its feet two years on. I lived in D'Iberville, Mississippi for about 10 years. D'Iberville, for those of you who aren't aware of its existence, is a small town on the north side of the Back Bay of Biloxi. I knew people who lived all over the area. I got my BS in Long Beach, just a bit farther west on the coast. One of my psych profs here in San Antonio got her MS at the same school working with the dolphins at Marine Life in Gulfport. My wife got her nursing degree there. Our son started school there... And like a lot of people, I have a seriously visceral connection to both the Mississippi Gulf Coast and New Orleans-particularly the French Quarter (one of my current classmates is FROM the Quarter). Seeing such a wonderfully colorful and historical area get the crap kicked out of it is not easy on anyone like me. I STILL haven't heard the fate of three people who I KNOW were there during the storm And I'd personally appreciate it if people would find some more appropriate thread to crap in, politicize, and otherwise derail.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules