Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Star Trek teaser is up

Star Trek teaser is up (Page 3)
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Kate Mulgrew's husky little voice....
Funny, I always thought she sounded like Katherine Hepburn... I use d to go around making fun of her with Hepburn's stuttering voice.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2008, 01:53 PM

HUDSON: Movement!
APONE: Position?
HUDSON: Can't lock up...
APONE: Talk to me, Hudson.
HUDSON: Uh, seems to be in front and behind.
APONE: Go to infrared. Looks sharp people!
HUDSON: Multiple signals. All round. Closing.

[Dietrich gets snatched]

VASQUEZ: Let's rock!

[Vasquez and Drake lay the smack down]
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2008, 01:54 PM

I kinda thought Janeway was sort of hot... Maybe it's the whole redhead thing, or Kate Mulgrew's husky little voice.... Ok, that's a shameful sort of admission here, but there it is.

Of course with Nana Visitor on DS9, I sometimes had trouble paying attention to the story lines...
In both cases, stripped down to their t's and hot from all the saving the ship/station and bossing folk around. Yep, I see that.

Seven and J Dax for the win though.
And Vash.
And Ensign Lefler.
And Tal Celes.
And Orion slave girls. Obviously.

Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Did the starship designers find a sale on spotlights or do they not have floodlights in the future?
YOu know, for the life of me I'll never figure out why the lighting on the bridge of the D (and the rest of this really) was changed to suck so bad from the TV show to the movie.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
And Vash.
Yeah, she would have been pretty 'mature' for how young I was when I first Captain's Holiday and I still thought she was slammin'.

And Ensign Lefler.
Yeah, Ashley Judd for the win.

And let's not forget Sito Jaxa and Ezri.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2008, 02:02 PM

What about Captain Slog? He's always mentioned at the beginning of nearly every episode, but you never get to see him.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
YOu know, for the life of me I'll never figure out why the lighting on the bridge of the D (and the rest of this really) was changed to suck so bad from the TV show to the movie.
I remember they talked about it when Generations came out. They realized that the TNG sets were all flooded with lights most of the time (nobody ever had a shadow) like some corporate office.

When they are setting up the lighting for the movie they decided to experiment a bit such as on 10 forward with the external forces (like the sun) lighting the sets. It was a bit over the top but I appreciate them trying something new.

Also if you watch DS9 all the lighting is about shadows. Almost every set has the lights behind objects casting all kinds of shadows on peoples faces which I really enjoyed.

Voyager also tried to go for darker sets but not as many shadows.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2008, 02:04 PM

Funny, I always thought she sounded like Katherine Hepburn... I use d to go around making fun of her with Hepburn's stuttering voice.
The first time I heard her smokers voice I was really taken back. By the end of the first episode it really grew on me.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 02:04 PM

I remember they talked about it when Generations came out. They realized that the TNG sets were all flooded with lights most of the time (nobody ever had a shadow) like some corporate office.

When they are setting up the lighting for the movie they decided to experiment a bit such as on 10 forward with the external forces (like the sun) lighting the sets. It was a bit over the top but I appreciate them trying something new.
I can agree with statement (It did kind of reek of the 80s in that manner). However I think they over corrected. DS9 looked good, though.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2008, 02:06 PM

Voyager poked fun at the Red Alert lighting. Why do they turn off all the lights and switch the panels to all-red? When the Kazon took over Voyager, the first thing the leader asked was, "Why is it so dark? Someone turn the lights on."

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Jan 25, 2008, 02:18 PM

Of course with Nana Visitor on DS9, I sometimes had trouble paying attention to the story lines...
"Fever," doo doo "when ya kiss me, fever when you hold me tight." I forgot what that episode was about but, damn any girl that can be that classy is just....

and that Bajoran nose too... yowza!
are you lightfooted?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 02:29 PM

Also if you watch DS9 all the lighting is about shadows. Almost every set has the lights behind objects casting all kinds of shadows on peoples faces which I really enjoyed.

Voyager also tried to go for darker sets but not as many shadows.
They also added a bunch of wall consoles that didn't exist in the TV series and never really failed to explain why or what they did. Weird.

The Trek movies were never the same after they switched to the next gen.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2008, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Voyager poked fun at the Red Alert lighting. Why do they turn off all the lights and switch the panels to all-red? When the Kazon took over Voyager, the first thing the leader asked was, "Why is it so dark? Someone turn the lights on."
I hated the trend they started with Voyager having the ships vital systems on display on the back of the wall behind the captain on the bridge.

First off this is the least convient place to put it if you want anyone on the bridge to make use of it.

Even worse when they got into battles display would light up showing information on how the sheilds, warp drive and weapons were offline and then they open up a visual communication with the badguys and have this all showcased behind the captain while she is pretending nothing is wrong.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by LegendaryPinkOx View Post
and that Bajoran nose too... yowza!
Yes, my friend and I agreed that if relations were to occur we want the wrinkles.
This sentence is ripe to be misconstrued.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2008, 02:41 PM

I hated the trend they started with Voyager having the ships vital systems on display on the back of the wall behind the captain on the bridge.

First off this is the least convient place to put it if you want anyone on the bridge to make use of it.

Even worse when they got into battles display would light up showing information on how the sheilds, warp drive and weapons were offline and then they open up a visual communication with the badguys and have this all showcased behind the captain while she is pretending nothing is wrong.

I never thought of that. LOL.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Tyre MacAdmin
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2008, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
I beg to differ. The south is the only part of the world where they have perfected the English Language.
My antithesis exactly!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2008, 09:21 PM

I was just watching Star Trek VI. I'm sick as a dog and haven't left the house for 30+ hours, so I've been digging out the older DVDs.

Has anyone noticed the collars to these old uniforms look like coffee filters?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2008, 09:30 PM

Ha ya I used to think the same thing

#6 is my fav of all the movies though.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2008, 09:40 PM

#2 on my list, behind IV. I'd forgotten so much of the I-VI movies.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 25, 2008, 09:43 PM

Side Note: the extremely low-tech flip chart in the President's office on VI is hilarious. I was expecting a super-thin display to present attack plans, but forgot that it wasn't an available technology back then.

The dude just plopped an extra-large notepad on an easel and proceeded.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 25, 2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post

HUDSON: Movement!
APONE: Position?
HUDSON: Can't lock up...
APONE: Talk to me, Hudson.
HUDSON: Uh, seems to be in front and behind.
APONE: Go to infrared. Looks sharp people!
HUDSON: Multiple signals. All round. Closing.

[Dietrich gets snatched]

VASQUEZ: Let's rock!

[Vasquez and Drake lay the smack down]
Uh yeah. That's the feeling. A little brighter, but yeah. Ok, now I'm thinking of a brand-spankin' new Enterprise corridor as being creepy... CRAP!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 25, 2008, 11:01 PM

In both cases, stripped down to their t's and hot from all the saving the ship/station and bossing folk around. Yep, I see that.

Seven and J Dax for the win though.
And Vash.
And Ensign Lefler.
And Tal Celes.
And Orion slave girls. Obviously.

Yeah, she would have been pretty 'mature' for how young I was when I first Captain's Holiday and I still thought she was slammin'.

Yeah, Ashley Judd for the win.

And let's not forget Sito Jaxa and Ezri.
Doofy, you're right. Vash was really hot! The thing about Seven was that she just didn't get that every male (straight or not) who saw her went into autonomic shock-or why. Jerry Ryan is just plain smokin'. (I usually don't talk that way...) And Jadzia...sigh. Terry Ferrel is hot, but she's also "girl next door" enough that she isn't quite automatically relegated to the realm of fantasy the way Jerry is.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2008, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Side Note: the extremely low-tech flip chart in the President's office on VI is hilarious. I was expecting a super-thin display to present attack plans, but forgot that it wasn't an available technology back then.

On another side note... the guy giving the presentation is ODO.

Also, the only reason the Klingon blood was pink (they used Pepto bismol) was so the movie wouldn't get an R rating for having so much blood in it. Making it pink got around that and in every other show and movie klingon blood is red.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2008, 10:19 AM

Ooh, didn't catch that...

I did recognize him as the preacher in The Patriot.

Also, the only reason the Klingon blood was pink (they used Pepto bismol) was so the movie wouldn't get an R rating for having so much blood in it. Making it pink got around that and in every other show and movie klingon blood is red.
It would've bumped it all the way from PG to R? Picky back then, weren't they?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 26, 2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

Flip charts are a standard thing for military briefers-I guess they just extrapolated that to the 23rd Century. Or maybe they were trying to show how old-fashioned those military folks were... "Acceptable losses" is not something that goes well with the tenets of the United Federation of Planets in dealing with what is ostensibly a political issue. You'll not also that a lot of the Star Fleet brass we see in VI wear a passel of decorations, while Kirk (who has to be the most decorated Star Fleet officer of his time) doesn't wear any. The only time we've seen Kirk wearing decorations is in his formal uniform (and that's way back to TOS). This is a big issue among real military people; it's a question of your decorations being "your résumé" or being a matter of braggadocio. If the decorations say "I've been part of all of these important events that everyone else has been in" then that's one thing. If it's a matter of "I'm a very important person because of all these decorations" that's a very different thing... It highlights how hidebound the Star Fleet hierarchy had become, and how inflexible they were.

And yes I do analyze things pretty deeply, but with my background I can't help it.

The Klingon blood thing wasn't only to avoid an R rating. There was a LOT of gore onscreen, along with dismemberments and such. But the fact that Klingon blood looks different from human blood was a story point because the colonel that Rene Auberjonois played was disguised as a Klingon when he was about to shoot the UFP president (and Scotty blasted him out through the observation window above the auditorium). His "splatter" was nicely red, not pinkish at all, and Michael Dorn's character (Kirk's lawyer) notes "this is not Klingon blood", allowing everyone to see that the shooter was actually a disguised human.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2008, 02:29 AM

"According to UGO, the "The storyline is about a Romulan named Nero (Eric Bana) who travels back in the past to either severely cripple or eliminate the Federation by killing its greatest starship captain, James T. Kirk, before he could take command of the Enterprise. Kirk’s best friend, Spock, tries to undo the damage caused by Nero by following him through time."

There are at least five different points in time that will be shown: approximately 2280, when Kirk first takes command of the USS Enterprise, the time just prior to Kirk's birth, and Kirk at age ten and age twenty."

I dunno that sounds like a whole heap of typical Star Trek crapola to me. What is with all these aliens traveling back in time just to off 1 starfleet captain when they could easily travel back a bit further and off the whole federation or human race.

I am sure the new movie will LOOK good but the script sounds ridiculous to me at this point.

TrekToday - 'Star Trek XI' Rumors

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 8, 2008, 02:44 AM

I dunno that sounds like a whole heap of typical Star Trek crapola to me. What is with all these aliens traveling back in time just to off 1 starfleet captain when they could easily travel back a bit further and off the whole federation or human race.
Sounds like every Star Trek episode ever, actually.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2008, 02:53 AM

On a totally seperate note I finally saw this which I have been waiting to see for 15 years!

When they first started to film Star Trek Voyager they hired a french canadian actor Geneviève Bujold (who I was familiar with from Dead Ringers) to play the roll of Janeway . After 2 days of filming Voyager she walked off the set of in the middle of filming as she didn't like the character, the lines, the uniforms, the character name, the 18 hour work days etc.

They went into panic mode and hired the #2 choice Kate Mulgrew instead and it worked out great.

That original actress was horrible for the roll. she has a strange accent and looks like an old frail librarian with zero personality. Thank god she was a bitch and walked.

YouTube - Voyager - The First Captain Janeway

red rocket
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2008, 06:35 AM

Interesting. Bujold didn't seem bad for the part. The things that always bugged me about Mulgrew's Janeway (hairstyle, voice, attitude) seem more natural here. Especially the hairstyle seems more Starfleet to me.

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 8, 2008, 10:28 AM

Didn't work out so well when the Borg tried it.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 8, 2008, 10:40 AM

... about a Romulan named Nero (Eric Bana)
The first thing that came to mind when I saw the idea that Eric Bana will play a Romulan was "he's been green before." Frankly, the concept has promise...

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2008, 12:36 PM

This exact story's been done before.

The novel "The Entropy Effect"

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
Didn't work out so well when the Borg tried it.
Or 90% of the episodes from the first 2 seasons of Enterprise.

I mean if there was ONE thing I wished the movie wouldn't focus on, it would be time travel. Well that or Ferengis.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2008, 01:07 PM

I don't think they've used time travel enough in Star Trek to fully explore the idea yet.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Oversoul
Senior User
Feb 8, 2008, 01:32 PM

Or 90% of the episodes from the first 2 seasons of Enterprise.

I mean if there was ONE thing I wished the movie wouldn't focus on, it would be time travel. Well that or Ferengis.
Maybe we'll find out that Nero is shadowy future guy from Enterprise. That'll stick it to the continuity watchers!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2008, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
Maybe we'll find out that Nero is shadowy future guy from Enterprise. That'll stick it to the continuity watchers!
Ya I just LOVE the way enterprise just quickly dumped that whole storyline they set up for 2 seasons at the start of season 4 without even showing us who it was.

That's some quality writing they got there.

helric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2008, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
i thought this would be a better reason to get a good chill

That is the kind of machine I would pre-order.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2008, 02:10 PM

The movie has been delayed:
SCI FI Wire | The News Service of the SCI FI Channel | SCIFI.COM

For some reason I don't care.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2008, 04:35 PM

I am in agreement with you. I love star trek, but this is a whole new thing. Not sure if it toots my horn or not.

Besides: The *ONLY* time you see me braving high cinema prices is during Christmas time. If it's in the summer I'll wait for video. (I won't pay the high prices if there are other things I can do ... outside preferably.)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2008, 04:50 PM

I love trek also but Enterprise turned me off for a LOOOOONG time. They should have taken 4-5 years off before even starting to make a movie... about time travel no less.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 14, 2008, 11:03 PM

I liked Enterprise, but I didn't actually get to watch much of TNG, Voyager, or DS9 for a variety of reasons. The idea of finding out where all sorts of things in the 24th Century came from was intriguing, but after the first season, I sort of let go of that and just went with the stories. And Jolene Blalock, of course.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2008, 11:19 PM

I liked Enterprise, but I didn't actually get to watch much of TNG, Voyager, or DS9 for a variety of reasons. The idea of finding out where all sorts of things in the 24th Century came from was intriguing, but after the first season, I sort of let go of that and just went with the stories. And Jolene Blalock, of course.
That was the problem as they seriously screwed up the continuity and actually made the vulcans hated.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 15, 2008, 10:16 AM

They did make them look pretty paternalistic, that's for sure. And they showed the Vulcans as not quite being as purely logical as they claimed to be-which I thought was very interesting. Ambassador Soval was the most high-strung Vulcan I ever saw. But remember that Archer had a personal bone to pick with them; their version of the Prime Directive kept them from helping his father develop the Warp 5 engine, which wasn't finished until after his death. That can make a person bitter.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2008, 10:20 AM

As far as I'm concerned no has ever matched Nimoy's performance as a Vulcan, short of Mark Lenard (Sarek). Everyone shows more emotion than they should.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2008, 03:32 PM

New spy shots from the new movie.

Looks pretty good actually, sorta 70's.

Flickr: Photos from iiodxks

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2008, 06:15 PM

That was the problem as they seriously screwed up the continuity and actually made the vulcans hated.
Personally I don't care about continuity. I care about something well-written, with fleshed out characters and believable dialog, which means TNG, Voyager and DS9 all bored the crap out of me. At least Enterprise had some characters who I believed in: I was always waiting for Trip to start cursing at the engines. Everyone on the other series always seemed like a a perfect, emotionless robot.

Oh, and no more technobabble as a deus ex machina!
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Don Pickett View Post
PAt least Enterprise had some characters who I believed in: I was always waiting for Trip to start cursing at the engines. Everyone on the other series always seemed like a a perfect, emotionless robot.
Viewers with similar tastes as yours is why the show didn't have enough ratings and was canned.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2008, 11:50 AM

Viewers with similar tastes as yours is why the show didn't have enough ratings and was canned.
It's actually a little more complicated than that.

All of the the Star Trek series except for the original has a problem: they're ghettoized. They have a relatively small, relatively loyal core audience which will watch the shows and buy the DVDs, but this audience is very small both compared to the overall viewing audience, and to the audience a hit series like Seinfeld or House has. This translates directly into money for the networks: they can't charge the kind of per-ad rates for Star Trek shows they can for other series, and the follow-on sales of DVDs and the like are small compared to other hit shows. You can see this by following the syndication of the follow on series. They are not really syndicated on any of the major networks, but on cable-only networks and smaller, regional stations. Basically, that core audience isn't large enough to make the shows popular enough to really get the bigger networks behind them.

This is important because it bears directly on the writing. Writers and producers for the show have two options, neither of which is particularly attractive. They can write for the core audience, who (IMO) value continuity and space opera over original characters, or they can try to write something different and break out of the mold. Choice number one means they're back in the Star Trek ghetto: limited audience, limited exposure and, very probably, limited run. Choice number two puts them in jeopardy of losing the core audience (incensed because some security guy used a phaser more than two years before they were introduced in TOS!) to try and gain the larger audience TOS enjoyed. This is an enormous risk, because if they don't get the larger audience share they can't fall back on the core audience.

Enterprise's problem, in my opinion, was that it didn't make a commitment to either choice. It tried to straddle the two and ended up with a show which pleased neither group. Although risky, the second choice can pay off in spades when done properly. The new Battlestar Galactica, which essentially started with a clean slate, is brilliant when it's good, and has attracted an audience which consists of more than just fans of the old series.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2008, 11:13 AM

Star Trek: The Next Generation did very well in the ratings.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2008, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Star Trek: The Next Generation did very well in the ratings.
For a Star Trek series. Compare it to a show like Seinfeld or Law & Order and it barely rates.

Forum Links
Forum Rules