Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > time capsule drive partitioning

time capsule drive partitioning
hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2008, 11:03 AM

Received my 1TB time capsule yesterday and I would love to partition my drive so time-machine can't use more than 500GB.

Does anyone know if it's possible to partition the drive when i get it out of the TC and partition it with my computer and a firewire casing?
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2008, 11:10 AM

You mean you cannot partition it using the disk utility when its connected wirelessly?

hsl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2008, 11:14 AM

correct.. the drive doesn't show up in diskutility
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2008, 11:19 AM

Seems kind of extreme to dis-assemble the device just to partition it. I suspect that as long as the interface is the same as the drive it will work. I'm not sure what that will do to your warranty in case something happens though

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2008, 11:40 PM

Easiest solution is to make a 500GB (or whatever size you want) read/write disk image on the Time Capsule and store your non-Time Machine data files in that. Then you can simply let Time Machine have at the remaining space on the TC's drive.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 8, 2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by hsl View Post
Received my 1TB time capsule yesterday and I would love to partition my drive so time-machine can't use more than 500GB.

Does anyone know if it's possible to partition the drive when i get it out of the TC and partition it with my computer and a firewire casing?
It's user work, but you could also keep an eye on the size of the TM backup and start deleting data as it approaches 500 GB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules