Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your Computer Acquisition Cycle

Your Computer Acquisition Cycle
Kestral
Senior User
Oct 1, 2008, 02:05 PM

I'm curious as to how people here acquire computers and their upgrade cycle.

For me, assuming people buy a computer and at some point sell it, for all intents and purposes we're really just "renting" the use of the computer for a certain time.

As well, I happen to really like to have the latest computers, and can afford it. So here's how I break it down:

For example, I bought a black MacBook, ended up spending about $1500 on it 9 months ago, I sold it for $1100 so it cost me $400, or about $45 a month to "rent" the computer.

I pay about that for my cell phone bill, so for me, the ability to "rent" the latest and greatest computer for $45 a month is worth it for me.

I've also held computers for a long time, and in doing the math, I ended up paying more per month in "renting" the use of the computer.

Also, let's say I keep it for 3 years (which apparently is the average computer upgrade cycle), let's say the computer is worth $400 in 3 years and you sell it for that. So assuming 36 months of use, that's $1100 divided by 36, which is $30.56 a month to "rent" the computer.

For me personally, I would rather pay the extra $15 per month to have a computer that's always under warranty, and can run the latest apps and OS. Over a 3 year period, it costs me $405 more to do so, but imo it's money worth spending.

Curious to know how others do the math for their situation and how it works out.

Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2008, 02:24 PM

I manage my computers/phones the exact same way. I keep all boxes, paperwork, accessories, etc. with anything I purchase and keep it safe in the garage or somewhere. Then when I want to upgrade, I put everything back in the box and put it on ebay.

This also justifies (in my mind) paying for the "better" hardware (i.e., 16gb iphone instead of 8gb) because it's value will be greater when I sell it.

I've never calculated it out or articulated as nicely as you have, but my approach to having computer equipment as "being rented" is nearly identical to yours.

Kestral  (op)
Senior User
Oct 1, 2008, 02:34 PM

That's good to know, Big-C.

The way I see it, even if I paid $15 less per month to keep the computer for 3 years, there is also a cost of not being able to run the latest software and OS, not having the latest features, and just general slowness of the machine and that's lost time and efficiency.

I'm getting to a point in my life in which my time and peace of mind are worth more than money, and definitely worth more than a few bucks extra a month.

I needed to do the exercise of actually calculating out the costs because I'm just that type of guy. I live below my means and I do care about where every hard earned dollar goes. I did the math and to me, it's worth the price, though for someone else in a different situation another option may be a better way to go, so I'm curious to see how other people go about maximizing their hard earned dollars to get the best bang for their buck.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 02:40 PM

I used to buy new toys constantly...I haven't done that for awhile. I sold my Latitude D600 after I graduated college (I had a work-provided laptop), and I've had my PowerEdge 400SC for somewhere around four and a half years now. I just keep upgrading components in it to prolong its life. I just bought a new digital camera to replace my four-year-old SD300.

I used to buy new computers and gadgets every 8-12 months. Now it seems like I just have more important things to spend my money on (like the ~$700 it's going to cost to repair my car after a hit-and-run).
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 02:50 PM

I tend to buy every two years, use the previous generation for something mundane (print server), and usually give the oldest generation away to family/friends.
There are exceptions, which would explain all the antiques I keep around.

In terms of finance, most of this technology is tax deductible (as is the software and peripherals), and depreciable.
So then I sell it back at a loss to the company I bought it from, then lease it back from the same company, only it now appears under a quarterly cycle versus a capital expenditure.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2008, 02:54 PM

I use my stuff until it dies. I hate the trouble of selling expensive stuff. I'd sooner take it into a field and smash it with a baseball bat.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 03:01 PM

Before buying the iMac in Feb 2007, I used to change components every few months or so. More RAM, new graphics, hard drive etc etc. IIRC the last motherboard and CPU were kept for about 18 months. Since the iMac I've bought more RAM, an external hard drive and an XBox. I was sort of planning on a replacement for the iMac early next year, but I have to say that the present economic/financial situation has changed that. I've got the money, but I don't think that new hardware is really needed.

I've never sold stuff on ebay, only to colleagues or friends for what I always thought was a good deal. Trouble is my white plastic iMac is really out out date after all the changes on iMacs recently.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2008, 03:03 PM

I buy stuff when I need it and keep it until it dies. At which point it's ripped apart and anything useful is salvaged - the rest then goes in the skip.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2008, 03:03 PM

I'm in a 2 to 3 year cycle for my computers. I typically sell the older one after I purchase the new one. This year is an exception.as I'll keep my current laptop as a secondary computer - I'm finding that I need a second machine and so I'll buy a macbook this month and not sell my current laptop.
~Mike

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 03:10 PM

I'm on an unintentional 2 year cycle. I got my first iMac in '01. When I returned to college in '03, I needed portability and power, so I picked up a PowerBook. It died and I had given away the iMac, so picked up a new iMac in '06. This summer, I needed portability again, so picked up a MacBook.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 03:19 PM

I was really considering a MacBook, but its the screen size that worries me. Even a MBP with a 17" screen begs the question : will it be big enough? I've got a 19" screen at work, a 22" screen at home attached to the 20" iMac and for the Xbox. I'm worried that I'd just get annoyed with a 13" MacBook screen. Yeah I know that I could hook up the MB to the 22", but I have the iMac and the 22" side by side so its a fairly nice setup. Having a 13" beside the 22" would be bizarre. Plus I sit about 3 feet away from the monitors.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I was really considering a MacBook, but its the screen size that worries me. Even a MBP with a 17" screen begs the question : will it be big enough? I've got a 19" screen at work, a 22" screen at home attached to the 20" iMac and for the Xbox. I'm worried that I'd just get annoyed with a 13" MacBook screen. Yeah I know that I could hook up the MB to the 22", but I have the iMac and the 22" side by side so its a fairly nice setup. Having a 13" beside the 22" would be bizarre. Plus I sit about 3 feet away from the monitors.
I use a 20" at work, my iMac is a 17" and I almost never feel cramped by my MacBook. It all depends on what you're using it for, of course.

Thorzdad
Oct 1, 2008, 03:26 PM

We use 'em til they either die or can't keep up with our needs.

The idea of regularly replacing equipment on a set schedule, regardless of whether you really need to, is fine if you have the cash flow to pull it off. I find it kind of wasteful, personally. It strikes me as a lot like the way a lot of people treated car purchases long ago. Buy a new car every two years, regardless. The car companies loved the plan.

moep
Senior User
Oct 1, 2008, 03:27 PM

24-30 months or three batteries for my computers. I’ve been using my Powerbooks/MBPs as my primary and only machines for years now and it is justified in my eyes.
The physical wear and tear of a mobile computer also plays a factor in this.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2008, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
The idea of regularly replacing equipment on a set schedule, regardless of whether you really need to, is fine if you have the cash flow to pull it off. I find it kind of wasteful, personally
Perhaps but if you are conservative in all other purchases why not.

I don't smoke, drink or gamble so why not buy a computer every few years. What you may call wasteful, I enjoy. As other's posted if you sell the older computer then the net cost is minor such as the OP described. I know people who could by a couple of decked out MacPros with the money they put towards the lottery. The point is, if you gain enjoyment out of it, then its not really a waste
~Mike

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
I buy stuff when I need it and keep it until it dies. At which point it's ripped apart and anything useful is salvaged - the rest then goes in the skip.
Same here, If I buy something I tend to hang on to it until it bursts into flames. Factoring in re-selling an item never concerns me.

Case and point: I still have my original stereo, my SNES, and a discman that outputs in one channel only.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 04:25 PM

For the OP, ironically it's $45 a month to finance a black MacBook.

Kestral  (op)
Senior User
Oct 1, 2008, 04:39 PM

Wow, some great replies so far!

I didn't realize that it costs $45 to finance a black MacBook, not sure if Apple does financing here in Canada, but since I don't own a business, a lease doesn't work well for me since it's high interest and I don't get the tax deductibility.

I find selling the computer at 9 or 10 months old is also good because seller feels good about still having some AppleCare and has the option to extend the AppleCare, whereas I'll always "own" a computer that's covered by AppleCare. That alone also has some cost savings in my favor doing so.

If a company started up where for $45 a month I would get a new computer to rent every year, I'd totally go for it.

As someone else mentioned, laptops also have wear and tear issues that desktops don't face. I haven't owned a desktop since 1996

Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2008, 05:00 PM

I'm on a ""whenever I feel like it" schedule. I've had my MacBook pro for about six months now, but before it I went through an eMac, four iMacs (G5, white intel 17, white intel 20, aluminum 20) and two white macbooks in a year. And sold them all at profits

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 05:47 PM

I replace computers when it's expedient for me to do so. I got a 500 MHz Pismo when I graduated from high school. It was my primary computer until my senior year of college when I used my one time student ADC hardware discount to get the original dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5. The Pismo died not too long after that having been in service for a good 4+ years. In the middle I bought the first non toilet seat iBook that I played around with for a couple months then sold for a profit, a bare bones PC, with which I did the same, and a ThinkPad X31 when a friend of mine was able to get me a huge discount through his job at IBM. So for a while I had the PowerMac and the ThinkPad. A little over two years ago I moved to Boston and used one of those crate moving services so my PowerMac was in storage for a couple months. Using the 12" ThinkPad with no optical drive as my only computer wasn't really a walk in the park so I sold it (for a decent amount of money) and bought the original black MacBook. About a year ago my PowerMac started showing it's age as my video collection started moving almost exclusively into HD. So I sold it and the 24" LCD I was using with it for enough cash to buy a brand new C2D 24" iMac which is what I'm currently writing this on (thanks to the sale of the PM I basically only paid for AppleCare on that). At the time I was working mostly from home, so the iMac was my main computer. Then I started working more from clients' offices, cafés, and the like so the MacBook became my primary computer. A couple months of that, and the 14" screen was really cramping my style, so I bought a ThinkPad T61p with another awesome discount that I was amusingly able to get through the same friend even though he's now at a different job. I was able to sell my MacBook for the full cost of the ThinkPad, so I was able to upgrade from a two year old MacBook, to a brand new ThinkPad with nearly identical hardware to a 17" MacBook Pro (though with some of the options I have no need for such as a webcam removed). Oh yeah, back when I still had the Pismo I bought another one off eBay for like $1000 that I cannibalized for parts to upgrade my own then put back together with whatever was left over and sold for about $1800. I also at once point three years ago or so built a PC that I used for a Windows gaming rig and that is currently acting as a FreeBSD server and temporary media PC.

So in 8 years I've had 10 computers, though actually spent very little on them. If you consider the work that I've gotten done on them as recouped value, I've probably actually turned a profit overall.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2008, 08:08 PM

Buy new hardware when the old stuff is tired, in which time I give it away to someone who will not mind an older, but still useable machine.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 08:14 PM

3 years or less for laptops.
4 years or less for desktops.

I'm currently going laptopless actually. Too much maintenance and dropping concerns, and they don't age as well.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

andi*pandi
Oct 1, 2008, 08:49 PM

when they die, unfortunately.

Work is giving me a G5 to take home though, so that's nice.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 1, 2008, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
3 years or less for laptops.
4 years or less for desktops.

I'm currently going laptopless actually. Too much maintenance and dropping concerns, and they don't age as well.
I went from having an iBook G4 to an Intel Mini and an iPod Touch, and I don't really miss having a laptop. The iPod is a million times more portable, much better for carrying to class, and is capable of everything I need in a mobile device - email, basic internet browsing, and calendar functions.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I went from having an iBook G4 to an Intel Mini and an iPod Touch, and I don't really miss having a laptop. The iPod is a million times more portable, much better for carrying to class, and is capable of everything I need in a mobile device - email, basic internet browsing, and calendar functions.
Agreed, but being a CS major there are some times I could use a laptop. I can't imagine SSH'ing into campus servers on my iPhone to run Maple. (Although maybe I should try that out next class just for fun...)

This reminds me, I need to delete my laptop from my sig...
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I use my stuff until it dies. I hate the trouble of selling expensive stuff. I'd sooner take it into a field and smash it with a baseball bat.
I'm with you on that.

I have rarely sold my computers, they are almost always used until they are replaced. I find that on average I own a computer for 3 years. Sometimes less, rarely more.

Let's see, I bought an iMac for about 1400€ and assuming it lasts me 3 years I'll have paid about 39€/month.

Not that much.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2008, 10:49 PM

I build all my own desktop computers for business and personal use- including Macs the past 2 years or so.

I use them until I either upgrade them to better stats, or recycle/give them away.

Laptops I tend to keep forever, or give away. I still have an old PowerBook 170 floating around somewhere. My TiBook 550 is still going strong, along with am assortment of iBooks/MacBook belonging to/discarded by my wife going all the way back to an original (and amazingly fugly) clamshell. I have about a dozen PC laptops ranging from ancient to brand new. I suppose I could ebay most of this stuff, but I couldn't be bothered.

Kestral  (op)
Senior User
Oct 1, 2008, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Let's see, I bought an iMac for about 1400€ and assuming it lasts me 3 years I'll have paid about 39€/month.
I should mention, the $45 I quoted was in Canadian dollars, which ends up being, at today's exchange rate, $42.29.

39€ is $58 Canadian per month

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 12:18 AM

Since 1996, I purchased eight Macs. Right now, three of them are still with me.

When I purchase a Mac, I rarely think about its life cycle.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2008, 12:47 AM

I bought my MDD in August 2002 and it is still my main computer. That was the first machine I bought since I don't count my family's 7100/66 or G3/266. I'm not updating my desktop machine until some significant refreshes though.

My ibook feels older than my MDD, even though it isn't, but it still does everything I need it to so it won't get replaced until aluminum macbooks come out or my wife decides she really wants a laptop.

How do you guys deal with the hassle of switching to a new machine all the time? Do you swap the HDs to avoid having to reinstall software?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2008, 01:23 AM

Desktops and laptops - oops, I mean notebooks - are completely different cycles for me.

I only replace desktops when they die. My 'first' Mac was a Performa 6290CD (before that I used a friends Color Classic), and it died in 2000. Replaced that with a G4 dual/450 'Mystic', and it's still in use to this day, primarily as the backup machine/media server. It'll stay that way until iTunes no longer supports the hardware, which I hope isn't anytime soon. When I DO have to replace it it'll likely be a Mac Pro, as I can't stand the non-expandability of the iMac, a huge reason why the PowerMac has lasted so long.

Notebooks I tend to replace every 2 years. My first, a 1.33ghz iBook G4, was purchased right after I graduated High School in June '04, and was replaced by a CD 2.0ghz Blackbook in 2006 when the logic board died (no AppleCare, dumb move). I suppose the MacBook was MY first computer, as the previous ones were gifts. I recently sold both computers and will be using those to finance a MBP as soon as the new one is released. I don't need one at the moment, so I'm not in a hurry. I just don't see it sensible to buy a 9 month old computer. Both the Blackbook and the MBP have/will have AppleCare, so when they're sold they'll still be under warranty if I stick to my schedule.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2008, 02:21 AM

When I need more power or a better display.

I also buy a computer that fits my needs first, or I don't buy. If I can't afford to do a major upgrade, I stay with what I have. I wouldn't spend money on minor upgrades.

I also try to not buy an outgoing model.

Exception was my 24" white iMac, which was a terrific deal - and I needed the matte screen for color critical work. That was the point for me: if I don't buy this white iMac now (the aluminum iMacs weren't for me because of their glossy screen), then I have to go MacPro right away, and that would have been quite an investment.

My next upgrade will be a MacPro and an Eizo ColorEdge, and before this expense is in the cards I'll go with my 24", which, maxed out, is still a very good machine for a least another year. I'll monitor the development of the MacPro (BluRay burner, non spinning hard drive for operating system, or whatever new features will be coming) and then buy a machine that will serve me well for another two to three years.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
It all depends on what you're using it for, of course.
MacNN Lounge and Porn. What else is there ?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2008, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
I should mention, the $45 I quoted was in Canadian dollars, which ends up being, at today's exchange rate, $42.29.

It may come as a shock to you, but Macs are substantially more expensive in Europe than in N-America. Always have been.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2008, 08:34 AM

I too would upgrade on a one year cycle if I could. It's not the money, it's my wife. I can only convince her to let me upgrade about once every 2.5 years. She always mumbles something about having to feed and clothe our kids.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by alligator View Post
I too would upgrade on a one year cycle if I could. It's not the money, it's my wife. I can only convince her to let me upgrade about once every 2.5 years. She always mumbles something about having to feed and clothe our kids.
the Witch

My wife is the same, I'm surprised she didn't trash me when I mentioned a new MB that's coming out in October. I'm not going to let this opportunity pass, and I hear cat food is quite nutritional so my kids won't mind eating that
~Mike

Railroader
Banned
Oct 2, 2008, 11:36 AM

Let's see:
iMac - (1,300) - Aug '98 - Aug '00 gave away - $36/mo.
Pismo - ($2000) - June? '00 - present [kid's computer] $6/mo.
eMac - ($1000) - Jan '03 - present [wife's computer] $14/mo.
MacBook ($1300) - June '06 - present ["mine"] $46/mo.

I'll probably be in the market for a next computer in 2010.

Jens Peter
Senior User
Oct 2, 2008, 11:39 AM

I also buy whenever my current gear can't keep up longer, and the give it away to friends or family; both computers, phones and cameras.

Originally Posted by Kestral View Post

I can see, that it's pretty much the same for my 12" powerbook. It's 3.5 years old and so far, it have costed me €38 a month.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
My wife is the same, I'm surprised she didn't trash me when I mentioned a new MB that's coming out in October. I'm not going to let this opportunity pass, and I hear cat food is quite nutritional so my kids won't mind eating that
Get that Chinese brand with the melamine protein boost.

Bought iMac/A on Sept '98 at $1500 (with AppleCare), sold it in the summer of 2000 for $800 less. So I "rented" it at around 800/24=US$33/month.

I survived on a Pentium II 333MHz laptop (Armada M300) between 2000 and 2004. Bought used at $700. Donated to family in 2004, but actually they paid for it because they gave the $$$ for my next computer. Rental expenditure for this laptop was therefore (700-1300)/48=12.5 negative dollars a month!

Bought iBook G4 800MHz in early 2004 ($1300 with AC). Sold it on May '06, when it was becoming unbearably slow, extremely bothered at the lack of decent PC emulators for PPC OSX. I recovered about $600 less than I spent when I bought it, so the rent was about 600/24=US$25/month.

Bought Macbook 2.0GHz shortly after ($1500 with Apple Care). Very happy with my first Intel Mac, planning to stay with it until a Blu-ray Macbook is available. I expect that will happen sometime in 2010, and if the renting rate stays around $30/month for me... $30*48months=$1440 total "rent". Therefore, I'll sell this White MacBook at $60 in May 2010. Any takers?

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 01:35 PM

For the longest while (4-5 years) I was on an 18-24 month upgrade cycle for my computer just because I wanted to have the latest and greatest. I too kept ALL my boxes, documentation, and packaging so I was able to sell my "old" items for a decent price and recoup my costs. However, in the last year or so I have given up on this approach. I bought a 20" Intel iMac (aluminum) and plan to keep it until the release of 10.7, whenever that might be. I figure if I get Snow Leopard when it comes out next Fall I should be good-to-go through mid-2011.

As for the rest of my electronic gadgets, I am still using my second iPod (3rd generation iPod, the iPod Photo). And I just replaced my mobile phone with a new more-basic model that does only phone calls and text messages. I am waiting until you can have a choice of network providers before buying an iPhone; It's nothing against AT&T--although they are not the best provider--I just don't like the idea of being locked into a single carrier for the service.

I've got a Nikon CoolPix P4 point-and-shoot camera that I like. Although I have been looking covetously at the new Nikon D90. While I would like a D-SLR to step up the level of my photography, I think even a D90 is overkill for the amount and type of photography I do. We'll see how I feel in a year and after prices have come down a bit.

That's it for me. I have no fancy stereo or TV--I don't own a TV at all, in fact--and only a smattering of other minor electronic gear. While I did/do IT work for a living, in my private life I tend to be a bit of a Luddite. My un-necessary spending usually goes towards camping/hiking gear. Although, I have at least two of everything I could want in the way of camping/hiking gear so even in that area it is hard to find ways to indulge myself with the purchase of new "toys".
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

TomR
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2008, 07:56 PM

I keep my PCs (Macs!) for around 4-6 years. I don't need the latest and greatest. My PPC Mini is over 4 now, runs 24/7 and never let's me down! I LOVE this little box! My Macbook is over a year old now. It's on 24/7.

My G3 ibook is over 7! Still works!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Oct 2, 2008, 11:37 PM

About 2.5 years for desktops (average buying price $1000) and 4 years for laptops (average buying price $1500) and 2 years for cell phones (average buying price $150).

alligator
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2008, 02:18 PM

I find that you have to upgrade more often if you upgrade the OS. Seems like the computers work the best with the original OS that came on them. Once you start increasing the demand on the RAM and hard drive size, then it's time to upgrade.

Oh, and I also find it works well to start dropping hints about upgrading about 1-2 months before I actually do. It gives my wife time to adjust and finally give in. Thankfully Apple rumors always allow me enough time to say things like "Hmm, my MacBook Pro is getting a little slow. I wonder if Apple will be coming out with a new laptop anytime soon?"

Cold Warrior
Oct 4, 2008, 02:36 PM

I have two notebooks. They get replaced every 3-4 years with new ones. I consider refurbished models each time, but usually there is something more compelling in a new one. I try to synchronize my replacement cycle with Apple's update cycle of new (but second-gen) models. I don't like to purchase first-gen notebooks.

zerostar
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2008, 04:45 PM

I go about 3 years on desktops, but much longer on laptops.

Even at home I do design & video editing, my last tower was a dual 2.5 G5, this year I got a 2.8GHz Al iMac. I had a iBook and got a G5 Powerbook after that. I almost NEEDED to go intel (and very happy I did) for certain things.

I have sold my old machine online and sold to friends as well. I also have done trades with powermax.com

My next purchase will be a MacBook Pro perhaps for christmas.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Die Mother****er, die!!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2008, 09:51 PM

I hope to acquire a small, light, and inexpensive MacBook on October 14.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 5, 2008, 03:15 PM

I buy stuff when I can afford it, or when I can get something broken cheap enough to fix and use.

I plan to sell my MacBook with the 3 or 4 months apple care left on it and use my other MacBook. I'm just waiting on my U-charge from FastMac. Not the best customer service in the world.

Kestral  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2008, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I hope to acquire a small, light, and inexpensive MacBook on October 14.
Same here. A MacBook Air with Firewire 400, 4GB RAM and the ability to put a 320GB 7200 hard drive in it would be my dream computer.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 5, 2008, 03:45 PM

I'm not counting on that though.

I'm expecting a slightly cheaper upgraded MacBook with a new enclosure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules