Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Official™ MacNN™ Winter™ 2009-2009™ "It's snowing"™ Thread™...™

Official™ MacNN™ Winter™ 2009-2009™ "It's snowing"™ Thread™...™ (Page 2)
KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2008, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Snowblowing? Pffft! I did all this with a shovel, and I'm 61!

http://gallery.me.com/karlheinzgroeg...&bgcolor=black
I like your porch with the lights.

Ratm
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2008, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post

All five boroughs rule.
Agree....but were not including Staten Island are we?

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2008, 10:30 PM

I am just east of TI in Syracuse--I am in De Witt--and we got a good 7 or 8 inches so far. This is the second snow of the week up here, though. Tomorrow morning I should need to do a quick shovel of the driveway and then I am going snow-shoeing. Yippee! This will be my first time snow-shoeing in two years. I am so excited. I might stay here in the Syracuse are or head up north towards one of the state parks near Watertown.

This is my Mom's driveway after the light snow on Tuesday.
(We only had 3 or 4 inches on top of the existing 2 inches of snow.)

This is my Aunt's driveway after the light snow on Tuesday.
(My Mom moved to Syracuse last Summer to be near two of her sisters. All three of them are widows.
My Aunt's house is literally next door to my Mom's. When I shovel the sidewalk I also shovel a path
across the lawn between the two houses so they can go back and forth for their evening cocktails.)

This is my Mom's driveway after the heavy snow today.
(This was taken after the third time clearing the drive.)
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Dec 19, 2008 at 10:36 PM. )
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 19, 2008, 10:44 PM

I headed back out to grab a couple of pints and managed to get one passable pic of the Square and Christmas tree. Sorry, my phone isn't the best for pictures at night. I will say the snow does help get me in the holiday spirit. it's pretty, but that's about all the good I can say about it. Although it was rather amusing watching some idjit try and ride a 10 speed bike down the road.

It would seem that when the snow gets to much for the zamboni to handle, a uniloader is the way to clear the rink!
Nemo me impune lacesset

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2008, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
I headed back out to grab a couple of pints and managed to get one passable pic of the Square and Christmas tree. Sorry, my phone isn't the best for pictures at night. I will say the snow does help get me in the holiday spirit. it's pretty, but that's about all the good I can say about it. Although it was rather amusing watching some idjit try and ride a 10 speed bike down the road.

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...1219081902.jpg

It would seem that when the snow gets to much for the zamboni to handle, a uniloader is the way to clear the rink!
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k2...219081902b.jpg
Where is that downtown? Clinton Square? I've been there twice while I have been in town and though it was kinda blah, but this looks nice. I might have to go check out it while I can.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2008, 11:29 PM

still snowing here.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2008, 12:28 AM

It's 76 degrees here right now. Blah...

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2008, 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Where is that downtown? Clinton Square? I've been there twice while I have been in town and though it was kinda blah, but this looks nice. I might have to go check out it while I can.
Yep, Clinton Square. They turn the fountain into a public ice rink in the winter. And in the summer they drain the fountain and have festivals there most weekends. All kinds of ethnic fests, German, Irish, Italian, Latin, Jewish, Polish, Juneteenth (I'd skip that one. There have been... incidents). Mixed in with the ethnic festivals you have stuff like the Empire State Beer Expo (), Blues Festival, Jazz in the Square, Taste of Syracuse and the like. Always lots of good eats and music going on down there. Good times!

And if you are interested in history stuff, the fountain actually fills the space of the original Erie Canal. If you look in the opposing corners there are dug outs where you can see the canal walls, although they seem to double as trash receptacles. No respect. And there's a monument to the Jerry Rescue. As well as the Soldiers and Sailors monument, but you probably saw that, it's hard to miss.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2008, 02:12 AM

Same in the Seattle-metro area.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2008, 04:07 AM

I see your snow and raise you a moose.

(There were three moose, this is one of the two youngsters. Momma had twin boys this year.)

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2008, 08:29 AM

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2008, 08:42 AM

Manhattan update: a good 3 or 4 inches on the rooftops, and the streets and trees are white (though encased in ice)!

This is a rare moment of serene beauty. The snow quiets everything down - no cars, trucks, buses, people. Profound silence. If only I could see a moose or deer walk by.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2008, 08:54 AM

boston is now upgraded to snow shower status instead of flurries. hopefully i can fly out tonight.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2008, 10:53 AM

We got 15-20 cm of snow here in Toronto. It took me over an hour to clean out the driveway, and that's with a snowblower.

BTW, here's a tip:

Electric snowblowers suck. I bought one in 2007 cuz it was on sale, and cuz it was about a quarter of the price of gas-powered 2-stage snowblowers. The electric ones are light, but are underpowered. If the snow is higher than 10 cm for then the thing doesn't do very well. If the snow is wet at all, the thing doesn't do very well. If there is any ice, the thing doesn't do very well, and may break. In fact, it did. Last year I broke the impellor on some icy snow. (Luckily it was cheap to fix, under partial warranty.)

I think I might get a 2-stage gas one with an electric starter next year. The only problem is good small (21-24") ones are harder to find.
( Last edited by Eug; Dec 20, 2008 at 11:01 AM. )

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2008, 11:43 AM

well, i'm going to the airport now. they're kicking us out of the dorms at noon and my flight is at 7. fun times ahead.

still snowing

Railroader
Banned
Dec 20, 2008, 02:24 PM

I am beginning to hate southeastern Indianapolis. This is an awesome summer city, but winter here is miserable. No snow, we just got rain, and it hovers at just above freezing. It's gray and blah. Haven't seen the sun in weeks.

Luckily, we are heading up to Traverse City for the holidays and with the lake effect snow they get we can expect 1-2 feet of snow on the ground until late March.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 20, 2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
We've got 12" on the ground.
Well so do we! I'd say 14-15 inches fell between yesterday and pretty much, well, now it's starting to taper off. Had a blast driving my truck around last night where the only other people out were plows. Of course every once and a while I'd hit the "2WD" button and have a little fun

To the right of my truck is our family shovel, a 1965 Farmall Cub with plow.

I'm really happy with the way this pic turned out, especially since it was taken with my cellphone.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 20, 2008, 07:40 PM

Open Letter to North America in General:

Please stop stealing our winters. Thank you.

Best regards,
Scandinavia

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2008, 07:41 PM

well, I jinxed myself with the "i hope i can fly out tonight" comment above. I'm housed in a hotel until monday (next available AA flight is monday night)

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 20, 2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
I am just east of TI in Syracuse--I am in De Witt--and we got a good 7 or 8 inches so far. This is the second snow of the week up here, though. Tomorrow morning I should need to do a quick shovel of the driveway and then I am going snow-shoeing. Yippee! This will be my first time snow-shoeing in two years. I am so excited. I might stay here in the Syracuse are or head up north towards one of the state parks near Watertown.

This is my Mom's driveway after the light snow on Tuesday.
(We only had 3 or 4 inches on top of the existing 2 inches of snow.)

This is my Aunt's driveway after the light snow on Tuesday.
(My Mom moved to Syracuse last Summer to be near two of her sisters. All three of them are widows.
My Aunt's house is literally next door to my Mom's. When I shovel the sidewalk I also shovel a path
across the lawn between the two houses so they can go back and forth for their evening cocktails.)

This is my Mom's driveway after the heavy snow today.
(This was taken after the third time clearing the drive.)
You are a good son.

macforray
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 20, 2008, 10:23 PM

You just have to love the winters in Syracuse. In '92 we had 48" in 24 hours. This latest storm was a real pain to drive in. My kids are loving it as we have a park with a sledding / snowboarding hill just down the street.

I'm east of both TI and dc in the "land of OZ", Chittenango.
macforray

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2008, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
well, I jinxed myself with the "i hope i can fly out tonight" comment above. I'm housed in a hotel until monday (next available AA flight is monday night)
At least you're somewhat cozy in a room (I hope), better than airport lounges.
Maybe you'll get your flight bumped up earlier.

If I were you, I'd run up an absurd room service bill.
Oh, stay away from the adrenochrome.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 01:41 AM

the heater in here sucks balls. i called in for a maintenance person.

*knock knock* "what the problem?" "the heater doesn't seem to be working" "oh" she walks over to the heater, puts her hand on it "no heat, it's only cold" "yep" she turns it off and then back on, and feels it again. "sorry I can't fix this. bye" this is with the control knob on the very end of the red, and the setting = high heat on the output

they let me try 2 other rooms heaters and both the same thing. told the front desk clerk
"well, we haven't had any other complaints." * she starts flirting again with the pilot that just checked in*

****in ell

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 21, 2008, 02:19 AM

Brrr. Luckily there's no additional windchill.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 02:33 AM

gotta love steam. i figured that since hotels have unlimited hot water, that i'd heat the room with the shower going full hot. it's nice and cozy in here now.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 21, 2008, 02:35 AM

Hahaha...that's creative.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 04:00 AM

sob... (not you laminar) the guy that decided smoking in their room was okay and set off the motels fire alarm system at 2:30 in the morning and making the entire hotel evac.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2008, 10:04 AM

It's snowing again in Toronto. (Started in the early morning). We're supposed to get another 10+ cm. Back at it with the snowblowing/shovelling this afternoon.

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
gotta love steam. i figured that since hotels have unlimited hot water, that i'd heat the room with the shower going full hot. it's nice and cozy in here now.
High humidity and cold temperature make for a very uncomfortable time. Hope it doesn't cool down in there for you. Good luck.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 10:40 AM

yeah it worked fine for the night. the clerk said that they'll have a professional come up today to check out the heater issue (it wasn't only me that complained, just the first) hey, at least I have tv and free wireless, and a couple of places to eat around here. the movie selection on the rental channels aren't shabby either; except it's close to $20 to rent any kind of movie. thank goodness I have the internet for that.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 10:46 AM

oh, and it's snowing here again. thank you windows that look onto the freeway and surrounding "country side"

Andy8
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2008, 10:48 AM

No snow here as yet.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 10:49 AM

i'll have to give the motel credit. they supply REALLY nice toilet paper.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2008, 10:57 AM

The high today is two below zero. Not counting windchill.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 11:14 AM

that's very brr lamy.

my breakfast just came:
french toast with sausage, apple juice, honey nut cheerios w/ milk and some water.

hmm, ordered two things of sausage and they gave me two orders of the french toast. oh well.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 11:17 AM

Enjoy breakfast!

nyc update: 38º, it's a grey wasteland out there. The slushy streets and sidewalks are melting and refreezing, it looks like another planet.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 11:26 AM

We've got another 5-9 inches in the forecast for today and tonight and another 5-8 inches for tomorrow. (East Syracuse)
I went snowshoeing yesterday and had planned to go for a run today but it looks like I will be snowshoeing again. Yippee!

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 11:28 AM

Geez bpr, your story is equal parts comedy and absurdity. I hope in the future you will be able to look back on it fondly, or at least remember it as comically absurd. Hang in there.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2008, 12:51 PM

Hmmm... A neighbour gets a plow truck company to plow his driveway. I'll have to look into that.

He just parks on the street during a snowstorm, and the next day the plow guy cleans his driveway. Nice. The only problem with that is that if it's a really bad snowstorm, then the street plows box him on the street with a big pile of snow.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2008, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
The high today is two below zero. Not counting windchill.
Same here.

Thought about going skiing today, but I don't think it'd be much fun at -20F windchill.

-t

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 01:27 PM

the heaters fixed!! yess

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 03:55 PM

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2008, 04:07 PM

It has been a quintessential Cape Cod snowstorm.

After yet another 3-4" of snowfall this morning it's now pouring rain. So basically all that packed snow on the roads the plows missed is now a delightful combination of ice and slush. Even with 4WD I was sliding around like crazy. Then tonight it's going to drop below 20 and then into the teens tomorrow making sure that the remaining foot of packed wet snow is going to freeze solid.

So far we've had pretty much non-stop precipitation since Thursday....if this was all snow we'd be looking at 2+ feet.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2008, 05:52 PM

Looks like you guys got hit pretty hard. I guess the upside is that it will be a white Christmas. Be safe and don't go out on those roads unless you have too.

Here's a little something to warm you up:

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2008, 07:18 PM

Damn. I hate you.

NobleMatt
formerly crazyreaper
Senior User
Dec 21, 2008, 07:22 PM

still raining here, dont think its stopped since i first posted all i want is a bit of now, we've had a few bits in nov, and i dont think we'll get anymore till late jan/feb
The Spammer Formally Known As Crazyreaper
Mac Book Pro 15", 2.66 Ghz C2D, 4GB DDR3 / iPhone 4 16GB

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 21, 2008, 07:36 PM

bit of grilling in the late afternoon:
ice

goMac
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2008, 09:36 PM

I leave Santa Clara Wednesday under the threat of snow. Thursday I stop off at my place in Portland where it is snowing. Friday I'm in a blizzard at my parents in Seattle.

Too much snow.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2008, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Were you snorting stardust?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 21, 2008, 11:26 PM

it's my buddy, he was throwing up sunny-d
ice

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2008, 11:40 PM

k, so i have an elbow flight to chicago tomorrow with a 2 hour lay over then off to long beach ca. hopefully everything works out

Forum Links
Forum Rules