Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > what should I do? will this thing ever get here?

what should I do? will this thing ever get here?
Chris Bucher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2001, 02:24 AM

I am totally new to mac.
I ordered mine(stock cd-rw) from one of the big Mac stores on 5-8. told me that they would be in by 5-30. On 6-6 they told me that the due date was gone!!!!They have absolutely no idea when it will be here. I need this as that I am going on a work trip in the near future.

Should I sit tight?
Should I look for an instock dvd ibook500 and purchase cd-rw later?(if I can find one)
Should I look for a G3PBpismo used or refurb?
Should I look at a G4ti? I can almost afford a 400mhz?

Speed isn't the highest priority, but I need it for a lot of photoshop work (anything will be better than my pII)

Any brilliant ideas will be much appreciated
CB

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2001, 02:53 AM

well i hate to say it, but call up the place you bought it from and complain. Don't be nice about it either. tell them you absolutely HAVE TO HAVE it before you go on our trip. who knows, you could end up getting the DVD version at the CD price. but diffinately kick up some dust.
that seems to be the only way of getting things done in the real world now day.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

Chris Bucher  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2001, 03:15 AM

That's fine and all, but I am just on a waiting list (like most others). I haven't spent any money yet. Although I am pretty near the top of the list and now that I've looked around this evening it doesn't appear that anybody's got anything but the stock cd in stock at this point.

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2001, 08:36 AM

I would check elsewhere. The link below will show who has stock of which model. If you need it "soon" I would drop the CD-RW model simply due to the fact it is now build-to-order and you will not be able to find it at resellers other than the Apple Store. Hope this helps. Good luck.

http://www.powerbookcentral.com/mact...ktracker.shtml
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

giantmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2001, 08:43 AM

Chris, you say you have nearly enough money for a TiBook 400Mhz, and will be doing a lot of Photoshop work. Well, then IMHO, it's a no brainer, gor for the TiBook. While it has a slower clock speed, that AltiVec stuff really does help ALOT (and will be a HUGE help in Photoshop). Check out the speed tests at my website for further proof.
Giantmike's Website - Version 5.0

todrain
Senior User
Jun 7, 2001, 09:22 AM

It won't do any good to complain to the reseller. If Apple has not shipped them the CDRW unit, then they can't sell it to you. PERIOD. You can yell and scream at them all you want and it won't solve anything.

Apple has not shipped ANY CDRW or Combo units to ANY reseller that I am aware of. No one is to blame except for Apple.

If you really need an iBook for your trip, go to your local reseller and buy a $1299 unit and a firewire CDRW drive. (the 64 less MB of RAM kinda stinks, but your cost will almost be the same even if you add another 64MB to the unit.)

67shark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2001, 02:22 AM

thanks giant mike--
that's what I have done, and added a qps 16x cdrw and another 512megs. Its more than I wanted to spend but the boss ( my brand new bride) said that I "needed" it...not that little ibook.

anyways thanks

chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules