Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's for dinner?

What's for dinner?
ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
May 22, 2009, 06:53 PM

I believe it's been a while since we've had a "what's for dinner" type thread.

Tonight's menu is:
Bone on ribeye topped with mushrooms and onions
Grilled zucchini, summer squash, onions and tomatoes
Sautéed spinich
Hot italian bread from the bakery across the street
Strawberry shortcake for desert

Whatcha havin'?
Nemo me impune lacesset

design219
Professional Poster
May 22, 2009, 07:01 PM

My wife is making chicken fried rice. I can smell it now.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 22, 2009, 07:03 PM

We just grilled BBQ chicken and had some macaroni salad. It's too late for pictures....

It's nice outside. 80 and low humidity so we grilled out. And that bottle of Jack is gone now.

Cold Warrior
May 22, 2009, 07:07 PM

ghporter
Administrator
May 22, 2009, 09:09 PM

We had a big lunch, so we had cold cereal for dinner. Tomorrow, that's a different story. Celebrating graduation may mean a nice dinner out...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cwkmacuser
Senior User
May 22, 2009, 09:37 PM

Pizza!
Chris K.
White MacBook and iPod Nano 3rd Generation
Experienced Mac User
Don't hold me accountable for jokes-I have a lousy sense of humor!

Railroader
Banned
May 22, 2009, 10:53 PM

Pad Thai

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 23, 2009, 07:53 AM

last night; was something simple...just hamburgers for the GF after she got out of work. been a week since we saw each other so we wanted "our time" and the meal wasn't important.

today is our 5 month anniversary (yeah, yeah, yeah ) so this morning though, i started her off with an omelet before she went to work. filling consisted of bacon, green peppers, onions, cheese, garlic and black pepper (mine had mushrooms...she doesn't do mushrooms).

tonight for dinner when she gets off work, will be a rotisserie chicken with all the fixings (salad, green beans, mashed potatoes/gravy).

tomorrow; the house/back yard will be full of people. for indy 500/tigers at 1pm, it will be hot dogs/hamburgers/chips/etc. for red wings at 3pm it will be some grilled shrip with garlic/butter dipping sauce. for coca-cola 600 at 5pm, it will be chicken kabobs with green/red peppers, mushrooms and onions on a bed of rice. later that night...a bonfire and smores!

love my grill! you can see where i have bonfires in the back too. the fire pit was on the patio from the winter...that way i can still have fires and people don't have to tramp through the backyard in snow/slush/mud once it melts.

ghporter
Administrator
May 23, 2009, 08:11 AM

You're having a grill for dinner? Oh wait...

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 23, 2009, 08:14 AM

gotta have your daily iron and minerals right?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 23, 2009, 08:14 AM

Do your Tim Taylor Grunt!!

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 23, 2009, 10:36 AM

Last night was PB&J and tasting wedding cake, then McDonalds at midnight - the burrito place, Sonic, an Wendy's all closed right as I pulled up.

Lunch today will most likely be my grilled cheese - made with pepper jack, provolone, pepperonis, and tomatoes.

Tonight I'll be at a wedding reception, so I'll have whatever they're having.

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2009, 11:37 AM

Breakfast today was a cliff bar, a banana and a couple of quarts of coffee. After last night, the thought eating a real breakfast sent my stomach churning.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2009, 01:59 PM

Lunch. Right now.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2009, 02:32 PM

I am eating worlds. Right now.

nom nom nom
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2009, 03:09 PM

I’ve been in Finland the past two days, so I’ve had great Finnish food, like Janssonin kiusaus (technically Swedish, but made lovingly in Finland), Fazer chocolate cake, and venaläinen kasvisruukku (technically, as the name implies, Russian—but Finnish enough for me).

At the moment (and I mean that very literally: I’m chewing as I type), I’m having kaeng kari gai (with vegetables instead of the gai).

Tomorrow, I’m off to Beijing, so I’ll be having plenty of good eats for the next week, too.
( Last edited by Oisín; May 24, 2009 at 06:41 AM. )

Cold Warrior
May 23, 2009, 04:17 PM

Speaking of Russian stuff, in a few minutes I will be eating блины (blini: Russian crepe pancakes).

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2009, 04:49 PM

Mmmmm, I love blini.

ghporter
Administrator
May 23, 2009, 05:49 PM

Well our plans changed. We decided to go out to lunch with a nice dinner later. Went to Red Robbin. Wonderful food. Then our plans changed again, because Red Robbin feeds you like you haven't eaten in weeks. So we'll go to a nice restaurant for dinner tomorrow. Dinner tonight? A salad.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2009, 06:27 PM

Do any of you guys cook Asian stuff? Thai, Indian, Chinese, Burmese, etc.?

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2009, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Do any of you guys cook Asian stuff? Thai, Indian, Chinese, Burmese, etc.?
Sometimes I cook Thai, but I have a decent Thai joint down the street and it's easier and tastier to let them do the work.

Tonight was grilled pork kabobs and salt potatoes. Yum
Nemo me impune lacesset

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2009, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Sometimes I cook Thai, but I have a decent Thai joint down the street and it's easier and tastier to let them do the work.

Tonight was grilled pork kabobs and salt potatoes. Yum
I'm a spicy food fiend. I adore spicy Thai and Indian dishes. I always figured that it wasn't too hard to make the various sauces that are used in these dishes, but I imagine that it requires a whole lot of food prep and different ingredients? Any more than most other dishes?

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
May 23, 2009, 10:56 PM

I'm a spicy food fiend. I adore spicy Thai and Indian dishes. I always figured that it wasn't too hard to make the various sauces that are used in these dishes, but I imagine that it requires a whole lot of food prep and different ingredients? Any more than most other dishes?
The stuff I make is on the basic side. A guy I know is the executive chef at an upscale Thai place in the area, so I should really get him to teach me a bit, but like I said, the takeout joint up the street is pretty awesome, and my friend's place is only a couple of blocks further, so I don't mind giving them the business.

One nice thing about my neighborhood is the availability of great restaurants within walking distance. There's a BBQ place I can see out my window that just won Good Morning America's Best BBQ in America contest. Strange to have a joint in central New York named best BBQ, must annoy those southern-types to no end. I was actually surprised it won to be honest. It's pretty good chow, but there's better here in town, let alone the whole country.

There's several good Italian places, as well as Mediterranean, Spanish, a steakhouse, Vietnamese, a diner, and some contemporary American places. The Chinese place down the block isn't as good as it used to be, but is still servicable in a pinch. The only downside is there isn't a good mexican place within walking distance. One just opened, but everyone that works there is Chinese. Instead of pictures of General Tso's Chicken and Hunan beef above the counter it's tacos and burritos. That's just weird. Sadly, the good taqueria requires actually starting the car or getting it delivered (by the time it gets here the taco shells are all soggy so delivery is out :/)
Nemo me impune lacesset

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2009, 11:29 PM

We went to TGI Friday's tonight, mostly because I was too lazy to make anything. Their prime rib stroganoff is possibly one of the most delicious things I have ever put in my mouth.

...That's what she said.

I'm five years old. Shut up.

Anyhow, then I had some delicious Swedish cookies that thus far I've only found at either IKEA or the international aisle at Meijer.

I'm pretty sure we had cereal last night. We really need to go to the store...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2009, 11:48 PM

One thing I hate about TGI and other chains like it: loud crappy music and about 30948302948 too many TVs.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2009, 12:00 AM

That may be, but that prime rib stroganoff is AMAAAAAAZING.

Seriously. It's delicious. It's the only meal I can get at a sit-down restaurant that I can actually finish in one sitting.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2009, 01:00 AM

Shif, the next time I'm forced to go (which probably won't be too long from now), I'll order the prime rib stroganoff. Just be forewarned though, if I'm not terribly impressed I will march back here and tell you to shove your TGI Friday's prime rib stroganoff up your ass, okay?

You won't have to do that though unless you really want to (although it sounds like fun), I'll just say it, okay?

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2009, 01:18 AM

Plentyyy of places to get a nice prime rib where ya don't have to be sitting in Friday's. Just sayin'.

Tonight, I had fettucini with chicken, pancetta, forest mushrooms, broccolini and asparagus in a white truffle cream sauce. Glass of cranberry juice fo de beverage.
ice

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2009, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I’ve been in Finland the past two days, so I’ve had great Finnish food, like Janssonin kiusaus (technically Swedish, but made lovingly in Finland), Fazer chocolate cake, and [i]venaläinen kasvisruukku[i] (technically, as the name implies, Russian—but Finnish enough for me).

At the moment (and I mean that very literally: I’m chewing as I type), I’m having kaeng kari gai (with vegetables instead of the gai).
You forgot the wiki links for your other dishes. Why must I go to an external site to find out what your funny looking words mean when I came here to find out what you were eating for dinner?

Oh, veggies instead of gai? Ohhh.

ice

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2009, 04:15 AM

Shif, the next time I'm forced to go (which probably won't be too long from now), I'll order the prime rib stroganoff. Just be forewarned though, if I'm not terribly impressed I will march back here and tell you to shove your TGI Friday's prime rib stroganoff up your ass, okay?

You won't have to do that though unless you really want to (although it sounds like fun), I'll just say it, okay?
Deal. Or, if you don't like it, I'll gladly take your leftovers.

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Plentyyy of places to get a nice prime rib where ya don't have to be sitting in Friday's. Just sayin'.
Not in Lafayette, believe me. I know I could make it myself, but I don't really enjoy making dishes that require more than one pan/bowl/skillet for preparation.

Hamburger Helper is my best friend. That and the wide variety of frozen pre-cooked food products at Aldi.

Glass of cranberry juice fo de beverage.
Gotta keep those UTIs at bay...

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 24, 2009, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
You forgot the wiki links for your other dishes. Why must I go to an external site to find out what your funny looking words mean when I came here to find out what you were eating for dinner?

Oh, veggies instead of gai? Ohhh.

’Cuz I’s lazy, foo!

(And because I don’t really know what was actually in the other stuff. Venäläinen kasvisruukku means ‘Russian vegetable stew’ or something; kaeng kari gai is some kind of yellow curry, though I have no idea what kind. Gai is the chicken part, which was substituted for veggies. And if you don’t know/can’t get Fazer, well, then I can only feel for you.)

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 24, 2009, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Deal. Or, if you don't like it, I'll gladly take your leftovers.

Not in Lafayette, believe me. I know I could make it myself, but I don't really enjoy making dishes that require more than one pan/bowl/skillet for preparation.

Hamburger Helper is my best friend. That and the wide variety of frozen pre-cooked food products at Aldi.

Gotta keep those UTIs at bay...

Hamburger Helper! FTW! Dinner supreme from my single days. One load would last two days. Love that stuff!

Andy8
Mac Elite
May 24, 2009, 08:30 PM

Granola with mango yoghurt.

Railroader
Banned
May 24, 2009, 08:43 PM

I had Palava Sauce for lunch today.

ThinkInsane  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2009, 06:31 PM

Skirt steak with chimichurri, salt potatoes and corn. My favorite meal. you people only eat once a week or something?
Nemo me impune lacesset

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 3, 2009, 09:30 AM

I made fried rice last night - chicken, Lawry's, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, then rice, eggs, salt, pepper, butter, peppers, green onions, pineapple, cashews, and basil.

Forum Links
Forum Rules