Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > warranty

warranty
jcadam
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2009, 06:12 PM

I've been using Apple computers for well over a decade, and my very first experience with getting a machine replaced under warranty does not go well.

I bought an iMac last December, and initially it worked fine.
After a few months, the optical drive died. I hardly ever used it, and had an external drive if I really needed to read a disk, so I hadn't got around to taking it in (my nearest apple service provider is not all that convenient).

A month or two ago, the hard drive went. I didn't have time to take it in, so I plugged in an external firewire drive and kept working.

Being that the warranty expires on Dec 4., I finally decided to take it in.

The tech at the local shop (not an apple retail store, an independent mac store), said that Apple will not authorize more than 1 part replacement per 30 days, and since I'm within a few weeks of my 1 year warranty expiring, both repairs could not be done under warranty.

I'm waiting for a phone call for the results of their 'diagnostics.' They suggested I buy AppleCare for it to get both of the repairs covered

So, what should have been a covered repair is going to end up costing me money?

The optical drive on my newer macbook pro just died too. You know, I didn't mind overpaying for my macs when I had confidence I was paying for a superior quality product from a company with great customer service (I still have a PowerMac G4 that has been under constant use since I got it, and it has never had a problem). Now, I'm overpaying for a product that is no more robust than a POS Dell. Apple needs to lose some marketshare, they're getting way too complacent.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2009, 06:23 PM

They're selling you a bill of goods.

Apple will fix anything that is covered under warranty. Doesn't matter how many things are bad.

If that dealer is an authorized Apple shop, they are obligated to repair anything under warranty.

Contact Apple directly to complain about those wankers.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 21, 2009, 06:44 PM

I'd get out of your independent store and find a proper Apple store if you can - they will put you right.

The slot load optical drives used in Macs seem particularly unreliable, but hard drives - they come from many different manufacturers and there is inevitably a bad one here or there.

Cold Warrior
Nov 21, 2009, 06:44 PM

Avoid those bozos and don't buy from them.

Call Apple directly; they'll ship you a prepaid return box and fix everything that's wrong with it. Or you could schedule something with a nearby Apple Store, but they may or may not fix it on site.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2009, 06:53 PM

Why didn't you take it to the Apple Store at Briargate? Macsuperstore is nice, but for warranty repair it seems silly to go to anyone besides Apple itself.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2009, 07:09 PM

I have a 3.06Ghz iMac (24-inch, Early 2008) and one day the optical drive went south. Since I purchased AppleCare on day 1, I brought it to the local AppleStore and let the MacGenius to look at it. The problem didn't occur in front of her, but she was kind enough to order a new ribbon cable and optical drive. Days later, she gave me a call and asked me to bring in the iMac and have it repair.

As my work order was completed, the MacGenius showed me the paperwork. I noticed that they replaced my perfectly fine LCD display as well, which was strange. I didn't bother to ask until I noticed a scratched mark on the front bezel. The technician looked at it and agreed to order a new front bezel.

Sure, it took a couple trips in and out, but I was very happy with the service.

The MacGenius will take care of you.

jcadam  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2009, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Why didn't you take it to the Apple Store at Briargate? Macsuperstore is nice, but for warranty repair it seems silly to go to anyone besides Apple itself.
I live in Fountain, Briargate is too far, man!

Just got a call from the superstore, was informed that the repairs would be covered after all.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2009, 08:37 PM

Well at least they'll cover it, but Briargate isn't that much further up...

Forum Links
Forum Rules