Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 95)
analogika
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
Not necessarily. Paramount will probably realize 1+ to 2x what they would have from all the double dipping had they remained neutral or gone Blu. Think about it, Paramount is contractually committed to remain red for the next year and release titles on HD DVD. People who already have HD DVD players will continue to buy Paramount titles because they remain exclusive. And people who want Paramount titles right now will still have to buy into HD DVD, if just for that. When their sentence is over and they return to neutral or go Blu, they'll just re-release all those titles in Blu-ray to, hopefully, a larger and more mature HDM market. Don't tell me Blu-ray owners then won't buy all those backlogged titles that had previously been available only in HD DVD.
What you fail to note is that hi-def sales haven't even really STARTED yet. The couple million media sold IN TOTAL right now - and they really are no more than a few million if you throw Blu-Ray and HD-DVD together (first figure I could find is 1.8 million cumulative sales of both formats together at the end of April 2007) are of no interest to anyone, long-term.

The mainstream isn't going to start buying hi-def formats until the dust has settled and Blu-Ray is established as the definite DVD successor.

The suckers who've bought into the HD market so far don't concern, at all.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 07:09 PM

Michael Bay was right

I am sure he is happy he can eventually release Transformers on BR like he wanted to in the beginning.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 07:11 PM

*sits back and relaxes while watching a HD DVD and then when that is over switching to a blu-ray disk on my LG BH-200 while everyone else is scrambling about*

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
*sits back and relaxes while watching a HD DVD and then when that is over switching to a blu-ray disk on my LG BH-200 while everyone else is scrambling about*
How much you pay for it?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 07:15 PM

$795 through a private source

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 07:17 PM

$795 through a private source
How many HD-DVD disks you got?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 07:18 PM

5 HD and 7 blu-ray, plus 100s of DVDs (not counting box sets)

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2008, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Laser disks players were $500 + for years if not more. Not to mention a movie would cost $80 and there was almost no selection, oh and the disks were huge and most players needed you to manually flip the disks.

BR is already doing better in that regard.
No. I had a $125 LD player. I also had a $1000 LD player. Movies were $80 from Fox, $24.95 from Warner.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
No. I had a $125 LD player. I also had a $1000 LD player. Movies were $80 from Fox, $24.95 from Warner.
I knew you were going to post the cheapest laser player you could think of.

The point was for YEARS they were expensive as hell along with the disks.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2008, 07:22 PM

Reaction from the HD-DVD camp:

Sell HD-DVD, go DVD, ignore BR.

How silly.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=969151

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 07:24 PM

5 HD and 7 blu-ray, plus 100s of DVDs (not counting box sets)
Ok so the value of your 5 HD-DVD disks is what? Say $100 - $150?

You could easily have got a $200 Stand alone HD-DVD player and a $400 PS3 for LESS than your combo player cost.

Even more depressing you could replace those 5 HD-DVD disks with BR versions for about $100 if they are available on BR or at worst DVD.

This is exactly why Combo player for $700+ have always been a stupid idea.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2008, 07:26 PM

I wonder how much of a spike in PS3 sales there will be after this.

Not really. The war got the price of BR players down much faster than anticipated and studio's still have to convince people to get HD disks over DVD.
Yeah, but they still need to drop the prices further, and discontinue those damn Profile 1.0 machines.

I'll need to go neutral, but I still want a $199 player with Profile 1.1.

Or else a dual-format player for $299, but I think that's unlikely to come before the $199 Profile 1.1 player.

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Heh. Welcome to the partay.

I would be major upset if I had got season 1 of BSG or star Trek in HD with over $100 a set.
Well, these two are must haves, so I got them. Annoyed, but not upset. What I am upset about though is the audio problem on disk 2 of Season 1 BSG.

And frack, I'm going to have to return my Star Trek box set, because one of the discs doesn't play consistently. Luckily I contacted the store before the announcement, or they'd think I'm returning it because of that.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 07:30 PM

Ok so the value of your 5 HD-DVD disks is what? Say $100 - $150?

You could easily have got a $200 Stand alone HD-DVD player and a $400 PS3 for LESS than your combo player cost.

Even more depressing you could replace those 5 HD-DVD disks with BR versions for about $100 if they are available on BR or at worst DVD.

This is exactly why Combo player for $700+ have always been a stupid idea.
then again it's easy. all i have to do is go into a store, see if they have the movie i want and i can buy it, no matter what format. i don't have to go through the disappointment of "oh crap! they don't have it on (insert media type here)" and possible need to go else where. combo players are your friend.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 07:30 PM

I think Warner was premature in announcing Bluray exclusive. Over 500,000 HDDVD players were sold during the holiday season. Most were purchase as gifts. Planet Earth HDDVD were most likely purchased as gifts. They should have waited another month or two to see the effect on HDDVD movies sales of all those HDDVD players bought as presents.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Well, I'm done buying HD for now then. This sucks.
Why? Do you hate having the choice of over half a dozen hardware manufacturers for standalone players? Do you hate Panasonic which is the main inventor of the blu-ray format and manufacturer of many of the blu-ray drive mechanisms?

Are you a fan of Toshiba and the joy of only having one choice for hardware? Are you a fan of MSFT? Do you irrationally hate blu-ray because of the Sony rootkit issue caused by Sony BMG's choice of DRM for some of their CDs in the past? Sony BMG is not directly related in any way to blu-ray.

Does it all boil down to the fact that copying blu-ray is harder and that you cannot use the "backup" excuse because blu-ray includes a hard protective coating on every disc?
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Well, these two are must haves, so I got them. Annoyed, but not upset. What I am upset about though is the audio problem on disk 2 of Season 1 BSG.
Ya BSG is great to have but now what? I mean I don't think season 2 -4 will come out on HD anymore so you are going to have season 1 on HD-DVD and 2-4 on BR. You are gonna have to keep that xbox add on or your stand alone player just for the privalege of watching the few HD's you have.

You might also wait a bit but you know you are going to end up with a BR player sooner or later unless you want to skip the HD on disk from this point on.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I think Warner was premature in announcing Bluray exclusive. Over 500,000 HDDVD players were sold during the holiday season. Most were purchase as gifts. Planet Earth HDDVD were most likely purchased as gifts. They should have waited another month or two to see the effect on HDDVD movies sales of all those HDDVD players bought as presents.
Of those HD DVD players, how many were returned when they realized that they could not playback Disney Blu-rays due to consumer confusion? Of those sold players, how many were bought to be used as an upscaling DVD player? Of those purchased players, how many were sold to HD DVD supporters who were buying a second or third player thereby not increasing potential disc sales? How many of those players will be returned back to the store following this announcement?

How many standalone Blu-ray players and PS3's were sold in that same time period?

The fact of the matter is that Warner did not see the existing standalone HD DVD players let alone the new players translate into HD DVD disc sales and blu-ray has one every week since December of last year when the PS3 was launched in some new markets.

Warner saw that, contrary to HD DVD propaganda, PS3 sales did translate into disc sales.
--
Aristotle

Oversoul
Senior User

I guess the firesale on the Toshiba HDDVD players at the end of the year was too little too late.

The constant BOGO sales and firesale on Bluray players won out. Constant firesale on Bluray players meaning the PS3, selling at a $200 to $300 lost.
hyteckit, I appreciate your pot calling the kettle black argument but there's a key distinction you're misunderstanding. As I noted before, selling game consoles at a loss is industry practice because subsequent sales of titles and licensing fees make up for it. Not to mention that the product life cycle of a game console stretches for years, during which time the component prices and overall costs of manufacturing go down and the company eventually realizes profits on each unit sold. This is not a "fire sale" because it is a common long-term sales strategy.

A "fire sale," on the other hand, like that which Toshiba/Best Buy/Walmart put on during the holiday shopping season was a special sale of a consumer electronic, at a heavily marked down price, because of remaining stock (some 70,000 to 100,000) on a model unit that was being discontinued. This is a "fire sale."

The big complaint that standalone Blu-ray players are more expensive than standalone HD DVD players is thus. Toshiba manufactures maybe 90% or more of HD DVD units sold and if they want to eat up their hardware costs "to sell razor blades" and pass on the savings to the consumer, there's little competition to upset. On the other hand, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, et al would like to see profitability on their standalones, and, at least the latter two, have less at stake in the war as long as they make money on their CE hardware. In part to this, you won't see heavily discounted Blu-ray hardware other than the PS3 (which, as noted above, is a factor of it being a game console).

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 07:37 PM

then again it's easy. all i have to do is go into a store, see if they have the movie i want and i can buy it, no matter what format. i don't have to go through the disappointment of "oh crap! they don't have it on (insert media type here)" and possible need to go else where. combo players are your friend.

Ya if you don't mind paying $750 for that small privilege of getting it on HD and not DVD. Since you seem happy with that more power to ya.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 07:38 PM

If Apple went with HD-DVD (and HD-DVD won the war), how long would it be before Microsoft's HDi™ was not "fully supported" on Macs?

starman
Clinically Insane

I'm just glad something won. I was rooting for Blu anyway.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN

actually i can get it on HD, blu-ray, and dvd. i thought i made that clear?

edit:
holy timestamp batman

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2008, 07:40 PM

Awesome! Best news I've heard all day!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

goMac
Posting Junkie

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Does it all boil down to the fact that copying blu-ray is harder and that you cannot use the "backup" excuse because blu-ray includes a hard protective coating on every disc?
For me, I refuse to buy any format the binds the media physically to a disc. Media on a disc means that the disc format can be pushed off the market, leaving you unable to play your media. This is actually a perfect example. Once HD-DVD players go off the market, people will no longer be able to play their HD-DVD content.

If managed copy was implemented today, I could go out and buy HD-DVD discs, copy them to my computer, and continue playing them now until the end of time regardless of what happens to HD-DVD. I refuse to buy a format that will just continue the endless cycle of having to buy a new copy of the movie when people decide to change the physical format. If Bluray discs were compatible with managed copy, I would gladly buy Bluray. But Bluray doesn't meet my requirements as a format, so I won't buy it at all.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Eug
Clinically Insane

Toshiba's Comment on Announcement from Warner Bros. Entertainment of Its Exclusive... | Reuters

TOKYO, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised by Warner Bros.'
decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact that there
are various contracts in place between our companies concerning the support of
HD DVD. As central members of the DVD Forum, we have long maintained a close
partnership with Warner Bros. We worked closely together to help standardize
the first-generation DVD format as well as to define and shape HD DVD as its
next-generation successor.
We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of
the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other
regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market
in 2007.
We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD
DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in
our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the
consumer.

Ya BSG is great to have but now what? I mean I don't think season 2 -4 will come out on HD anymore so you are going to have season 1 on HD-DVD and 2-4 on BR. You are gonna have to keep that xbox add on or your stand alone player just for the privalege of watching the few HD's you have.

You might also wait a bit but you know you are going to end up with a BR player sooner or later unless you want to skip the HD on disk from this point on.
Dunno about Season 3-4 but maybe 2. Remember, Universal seems to hate Blu-ray. However, if the Warner defection does mean the slow death of HD DVD like most think it would be, then they'll go Blu-ray... eventually. Just not right away.

Anyways, as I mentioned earlier, I'll get a Blu-ray player once they have Profile 1.1 players for $199 (or there's a cheap and good combo).

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 07:41 PM

actually i can get it on HD, blu-ray, and dvd. i thought i made that clear?

edit:
holy timestamp batman
Oh I get it my point is you paid a lot for that where individual ones would have even cost less. Combo players are a rip off.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
If Apple went with HD-DVD (and HD-DVD won the war), how long would it be before Microsoft's HDi™ was not "fully supported" on Macs?
Probably wouldn't be an issue. I would assume Apple themselves would be writing the HDi implementation. HDi is a documented standard.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 07:43 PM

and yet, i only have one cable going into my tv rather than 2 and more shelf space.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 07:45 PM

and yet, i only have one cable going into my tv rather than 2 and more shelf space.
And it was aaaaallll worth it for your whooping HD-DVD disk library. All 5 of them.

Next time but the money towards a bigger shelf or another cable

Oversoul
Senior User
Jan 4, 2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Toshiba's Comment on Announcement from Warner Bros. Entertainment of Its Exclusive... | Reuters
TOKYO, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised by Warner Bros.'
decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact that there
are various contracts in place between our companies concerning the support of
HD DVD.
In other words, "We're going to have our lawyers look over those contracts and sue Warner Bros. for breach."

Or, in other words, "Waaaaaaaaahhhhh!"

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 07:46 PM

I wonder if this is making apple re-consider any possible combo players in the upcoming MacPro update.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Of those HD DVD players, how many were returned when they realized that they could not playback Disney Blu-rays due to consumer confusion? Of those sold players, how many were bought to be used as an upscaling DVD player? Of those purchased players, how many were sold to HD DVD supporters who were buying a second or third player thereby not increasing potential disc sales? How many of those players will be returned back to the store following this announcement?

How many standalone Blu-ray players and PS3's were sold in that same time period?

The fact of the matter is that Warner did not see the existing standalone HD DVD players let alone the new players translate into HD DVD disc sales and blu-ray has one every week since December of last year when the PS3 was launched in some new markets.

Warner saw that, contrary to HD DVD propaganda, PS3 sales did translate into disc sales.
Your are kidding me right? You are basing HDDVD returns on Disney movies?

You think 1 week after Christmas is enough to determine if all those HDDVD players sold during the holiday season would translate to HDDVD movies sales? Wow, I'm glad you are not in marketing.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 07:48 PM

In other words, "We're going to have our lawyers look over those contracts and sue Warner Bros. for breach."

Ya and Warner is going to keep that in mind the next time this sort of thing comes up from Toshiba.

At least warner will sell HD-DVD for the next 5 months. Paramount pulled everything off the shelves that was BR the week of their HD only announcement.

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2008, 07:50 PM

Well, I guess I'll eventually be getting a PS3 to compliment my A2. I would have preferred that Warner had gone HD-DVD exclusive, but I'm happy that they finally picked a side. Now maybe this war (and this thread) can finally die.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 07:50 PM

What? So Toshiba shouldn't sue Warner if Warner breach a contract? Then what good is a contract?

If you have a contract with someone and the other person broke the contract, causing you to lose thousands of dollars, you wouldn't sue the other person? If you sue, you are a cry baby?

Talk about fanboyism.

Oversoul
Senior User
Jan 4, 2008, 07:54 PM

Where are you getting these numbers?

As of the end of November, HD DVD had only sold 750,000 standalone and XBox add-ons combined, in all. And as of November, Toshiba was just nearing the 500,000 mark for standalone units. You're trying to say that in the last two- to three-months, Toshiba sold the same number of units or more than it did in the previous year and a half?

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 07:55 PM

Paramount pulled everything off the shelves that was BR the week of their HD only announcement.
[Dr. Phil] And how's that workin' for ya? [/Dr. Phil]

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 07:57 PM

First Blu-ray BD Profile 1.1 Review (Verdict: Is That All?)

A rundown of BR profile 1.1.

1) The features HD fans have been bragging about for a year and a half are a bit of a snoozer
2) PS3 is still the best system to buy for BR disks because of price, performance and features. Try to get over the IR argument.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 08:00 PM

Where are you getting these numbers?

As of the end of November, HD DVD had only sold 750,000 standalone and XBox add-ons combined, in all. And as of November, Toshiba was just nearing the 500,000 mark for standalone units. You're trying to say that in the last two- to three-months, Toshiba sold the same number of units or more than it did in the previous year and a half?
I'm saying 500,000 HDDVD players were sold during Nov and Dec, basically doubling the number of HDVD players in consumer's home.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2008, 08:01 PM

I don't know, I've been wary of combo players since my Pioneer DVL-919 LD/DVD player debacle. It was always in the shop until I finally got fed up and sold it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Doesn't matter much to me, I won't be buying Bluray. In the short term, nobody wins. ...
WHAT??? Now everybody wins except for a few short term losses. Only fools have been buying HD players up to this point because we all knew there was a 50% chance we'd get screwed when one side won! That's why HD hasn't taken off and most sales are still DVD. Most people aren't stupid enough to go buy into a dumb corporate war. Now that it's over EVERYBODY can go buy an Blu-ray player and discs without the dread that they are digging themselves in deeper to a dead format. I can't believe it's finally over and that it ended so soon. Thank you Warner.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 08:04 PM

shaddim
combo players have come along way since the LD/DVD combos my friend. trust me on this!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
WHAT??? Now everybody wins except for a few short term losses. Only fools have been buying HD players up to this point because we all knew there was a 50% chance we'd get screwed when one side won! That's why HD hasn't taken off and most sales are still DVD. Most people aren't stupid enough to go buy into a dumb corporate war. Now that it's over EVERYBODY can go buy an Blu-ray player and discs without the dread that they are digging themselves in deeper to a dead format. I can't believe it's finally over and that it ended so soon. Thank you Warner.
Great. Everybody wins. Then find me a cheap player I can play all the movies I want on. Thx.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2008, 08:09 PM

People are not buying HDDVD or Bluray because they are expensive and most people are happy with their DVD players.

Even if HDDVD never existed, not many people are going to spend over $600 on a bluray player.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 08:10 PM

I'm saying Toshiba sold 500,000 standalone units during Nov and Dec.
Who cares even if it is correct.
That just makes warners decision more relevant and backs up exactly why they went exclusive.

"A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry,"

In other words those 500,000 might have made a small dent in BR sales or heck it could have brought the war to 50/50 6 months from now.

The point is this is not good for consumers OR studios. To many people don't want to buy players or disks until there is one format. We don't need 50/50, 70/30, 60/40. We need 100% in ONE format like DVD.

Warners announcement is pretty much flat out saying the want HD-DVD off the market so everyone can move on with ONE format and actually buy players and disks without worry of it going Betamax.

I have a lot of respect for Warner being smart enough to watch a year of strong sales on the BR side and realized the consumer pretty much decided which they wanted 12 months ago and took the right path to bring this to an end. Basing it on stand alone players with the hope that they might sell in the future is ridiculous.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 08:14 PM

Even if HDDVD never existed, not many people are going to spend over $600 on a bluray player.
Yup, many wouldn't but lots did. It also showed that $200 HD-DVD players with managed copy protection and PiP isn't what the consumer wanted either.

Good thing BR player are down to $300 now but even when they were $600-$1000 they still did better than HD-DVD in movie sales. Lesson learnt hopefully.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2008, 08:15 PM

"TOKYO, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire/ --
We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the consumer.

Toshiba 'Surprised' By Warner Blu-ray Announcement | High-Def Digest

Oversoul
Senior User
Jan 4, 2008, 08:16 PM

What? So Toshiba shouldn't sue Warner if Warner breach a contract? Then what good is a contract?

If you have a contract with someone and the other person broke the contract, causing you to lose thousands of dollars, you wouldn't sue the other person? If you sue, you are a cry baby?

Talk about fanboyism.
hyteckit, if you're feeling bitter about picking a losing format that you've only enjoyed for two months before the writing on the wall became clear, it's okay, I get you. I understand the fanaticism of fanboys who invested hundreds, sometimes thousands of dollars on a losing format. I don't understand, however, why some people base their entire decision on the idea that Sony is evil or Microsoft is evil. I'm not saying either fit your situation, but there's no need to throw erroneous facts around, as you've been doing, to prove a contrary point, that HD DVD is on the losing the war.

I make no assertions that I'm not a Blu supporter. More importantly than that, though, I'm a high def media lover. And I'm glad that finally one format looks like it has the win over another, and further that it's Blu-ray instead of HD DVD. I've been trying to be reasonable and accurate with my arguments as to why I think Blu-ray will win out over HD DVD. And I think this latest bit of news is the topping on the cake. The words that essentially capture the same thrust of my arguments are coming out of Time Warner's President and CEO himself.

I'm all for contracts to be enforced, but I find it surprising that Warner's defection elicited a veil litigious response from Toshiba when they and/or their partners were instrumental in securing the defection of Paramount/Dreamworks to even more immediate effect with borderline anti-competitive and anti-trust tactics. I'm not privy to the terms of any alleged contract between Toshiba and Warner, but if there in fact is one that ensures Warner continuing to support HD DVD then I'm curious as to the prior legal relationship between the Blu-ray group and Paramount and why I didn't hear "Suit!" when Paramount declared exclusivity. Time Warner has money enough to have a legal department evaluate their move towards exclusivity, and I wouldn't doubt that whatever contract they had with HD DVD was at-will or was for terms to end in May. You cannot deny Toshiba is more desperate today than it was yesterday.

Oversoul
Senior User
Jan 4, 2008, 08:18 PM

I'm saying 500,000 HDDVD players were sold during Nov and Dec, basically doubling the number of HDVD players in consumer's home.
Source?

As of the end of November, HD DVD Promo Group: HD DVD Player Sales Top 750,000 | High-Def Digest, with fire sale numbers factored in.

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 4, 2008, 08:19 PM

There are sub-300 dollar blu-ray players out there already folks and the prices will come down when economies of scale kick in. Toshiba was dumping their product onto the market way below cost. If you want a blu-ray player that also plays back Divx and WMV off the HD, you can pickup a 40GB PS3.
--
Aristotle

Forum Links
Forum Rules