Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > PPP dialing

PPP dialing
jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 17, 2000, 12:15 AM

I've been having an odd problem that I have just been putting up with (probably for 6 months), but I've decided to ask about it.

I was dialing into my isp when my computer crashed and since then, none of my programs connect to the Internet on their own.

In the past netscape would connect when I first opened it, outlook would connect when checking mail, etc.

I have to open the remote access control panel to connect to the net now.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I've looked through pretty much every possible control panel, and haven't found anything I can change.

Thanks

John Arends
[email protected]

Barney
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2000, 12:59 AM

Have you tried going to "Remote Access" >> Options >> Protocol and making sure that the "Connect Automatically" check box is checked?

jarends  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2000, 12:09 AM

Yes. It is selected. Although that looks like it actually is for choosing which protocol to use, rather than where to connect...

or am I wrong?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

pegasus
Jan 18, 2000, 02:36 PM

You may want to check the Internet Control Panel. You may have to setup the Internet settings again.

jarends  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 20, 2000, 02:07 PM

I looked through the internet control panel..doesn't seem to be anything there

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 30, 2000, 03:31 PM

Well, I dunno about anyone else here, but I always found that waiting for the computer to dial up to connect to the 'net when I opened one of those applications was really annoying, seeing as how you couldn't do anything in the meantime. My solution was just to use the control strip PPP module to connect - one click, no waiting around for that 'Connecting' window to go away, no hassles. If there's no other way, the control strip is a really easy way of doing pretty much what you want to do.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

RockLord
Jan 30, 2000, 03:49 PM

Jarends, try throwing out the preferneces file for the network extensions you are using (either TCP/IP OR Open Treansport), restart and then re enter you Internet Provider info and you should be good to go.

dhdalpra
Jan 30, 2000, 04:02 PM

jarends,
If you are still having the problem, try deleting the Remote Access preferences folder (System Folder>Preferences>Remote Access) and restarting your computer. After restart, empty the Trash. You will have to reset the data/preferences in the Remote Access control panel. Be sure to enable the "Connect automatically..." option under the Protocol tab.

I agree with blizzard that using the Remote Access control strip is an easy one-click alternative (also useful if you want to work offline).

Forum Links
Forum Rules