Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Invisible Folder problem

Invisible Folder problem
theco
Jan 25, 2000, 07:28 PM

For some reason, when I upgraded my copy of IE4.5, the default place to save downloaded files was the "TheVolumesSettingsFolder", which is invisible. Because of this, i can't delete, move, or access the files i downloaded. I have already gotten the files I needed, but I would like to remove them from that folder if I can. Dragging them out, or into the trash just gives me a blank "clipping". All efforts to just hit delete give me a "you cannot delete this file because it is in an invisible folder". How do i delete them? How would i go about making the folder visible?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2000, 07:36 PM

there are many ways to do this... Invisible File Copier (yes, I know you do not necessarily want to copy the files/folder you mentioned) is free and will do the trick, see www.versiontracker.com and do a search for the freeware...

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 27, 2000, 08:06 AM

I would suggest resedit, Under file choose get info for... and choose the folder, amek it visable, save, then switch to finder, fish out the program, and make the fodler inviable again

------------------
-See Yea!

Seagull
Jan 27, 2000, 09:03 AM

A utility that no Mac user should live without is File Buddy. It will help you with the problem you're having and more. Search for it at http://www.versiontracker.com

wlonh
Professional Poster
Jan 27, 2000, 11:37 AM

for a newbie, Invisible File Copier can not be beat, it is FREE and is the EASIEST way to delete (or otherwise manage) invisible files OR folders...

dhdalpra
Jan 30, 2000, 04:59 PM

Another option I've seen is a contextual menu item called "Change Visibility" (freeware). Check the Versiontracker web site.

Forum Links
Forum Rules