Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Introduction...

Introduction...
Win2Mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2004, 02:08 PM

Hellow everyone,

I came here to do research on Mac computers. I have been lurking on this board for a week now and I am very impressed with what I have learned about Macs. Right now I use Windows machines at work and home, but I am looking into switching to Macs for several reasons. In short, viruses, patches, crashes, lack of stability, complex issues with programs, like overstepping registry entries, bloated programs, degradation of performace in very short time, etc. All these things I have been experiencing with Windows computers and I am fed up with it. I can't say I am entirely convinced yet, but I am very close.

I will research some more and if everything goes in the direction it looks, I will make the switch next year....only because of $$ issues currently, otherwise I'd be looking at X-mas time this year. But no such luck yet.

BTW, I posted this intro here because since I am planning to buy a laptop as my next computer, it will more than likely be a PowerBook.
One to soon switch from Windows,

Win2Mac
Jn. 6:53

Dog Like Nature
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Win2Mac:

BTW, I posted this intro here because since I am planning to buy a laptop as my next computer, it will more than likely be a PowerBook.
A very smart move! Welcome!
╭1.5GHz G4 15" PB, 2.0GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 100GB 7200rpm HD, AEBS, BT kbd
╰2.0GHz T2500 20" iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 250GB 7200rpm HD

http://www.DogLikeNature.com/

V12
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 04:42 PM

same reason i switched

im loving my 12" powerbook its a great desktop alternative as well, either on a stand with a keyboard and mouse or with a external screen, its all good in the mac neighborhood.

Win2Mac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2004, 04:55 PM

Do the Macs handle memory the same as Windows? What I mean is that let's say that in Windows I need 256Mb to run Windows and Office apps? Does the same apply to Macs? Will I need comparable amounts of memory as in Windows, or can I run OS X and MS Office with less memory?

Thanx.
One to soon switch from Windows,

Win2Mac
Jn. 6:53

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 1, 2004, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Win2Mac:
Do the Macs handle memory the same as Windows? What I mean is that let's say that in Windows I need 256Mb to run Windows and Office apps? Does the same apply to Macs? Will I need comparable amounts of memory as in Windows, or can I run OS X and MS Office with less memory?
I find that OS X needs more memory than a corresponding Windows machine with similar office apps does.

ie. I'd recommend a PowerBook with at least 512 MB, or more if you use apps other than basic office apps. You can get by with 256, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules