Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Amazon has new ibook for $850 after rebate

Amazon has new ibook for $850 after rebate
minton7
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 05:50 PM

Amazon's advertising a $150 rebate for the new 1.2ghz ibook:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...760461-1596128

Free shipping and no sales tax. Has someone ordered this? I can't get the rebate form to showup.

pdoubs
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 06:27 PM

go look up the 14" ibook and click view rebate it shows up and is the same one needed for the new 12", i'm currently placing my order. awesome deal

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2004, 09:52 PM

Wow, what timing! Check out what happened to my old iBook here.

WoooHooo. Now to wrestle the credit card from my wife!
><> 1 Peter 3:15-16

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 11:13 PM

kazamdizzle!

ventivent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 01:12 AM

Can you buy a bluetooth module separately for the new 12" ibook? This beats the edu deal.

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2004, 03:37 AM

wow, this deal is really tempting. i also qualify for the education discount and if i ordered form apple i would probably doa BTO and opt for the 60 gig hard drive and the internal bluetooth but that would mean that the difference is almost $300 for just those two options. I really wish the bluetooth was user installable. BTW, i don't think you can even purchase the bluetooth module as a part from apple. this is a really good deal if you can live without internal bluetooth

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2004, 07:27 AM

It's no longer showing the rebate. I did save it originally to my shopping cart and it DOES show the rebate. If I order it I wonder if it would still give me the rebate even though it no longer shows on the site?

EDIT: Just pulled up my order in my shopping cart and clicked on the rebate. Nothing was there. The rebates that are being offered with the other iBooks/powerbooks do not include the 12" iBook model number. Did they sell out that fast or was it a mistake and they weren't supposed to offer the 12" model too?
( Last edited by Centris650; Oct 29, 2004 at 07:36 AM. )

Phrogman
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2004, 08:58 AM

Originally posted by Centris650:
It's no longer showing the rebate. I did save it originally to my shopping cart and it DOES show the rebate. If I order it I wonder if it would still give me the rebate even though it no longer shows on the site?

EDIT: Just pulled up my order in my shopping cart and clicked on the rebate. Nothing was there. The rebates that are being offered with the other iBooks/powerbooks do not include the 12" iBook model number. Did they sell out that fast or was it a mistake and they weren't supposed to offer the 12" model too?
Actually, the model numbers do matchup M9623LL/A is listed on the rebate and for the computer. Check these links:

Rebate

iBook

This rebate applies to the new 14"ers too!!!

deeper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 12:05 PM

Read the fine print on the rebate. The computer has to be purchased through Amazon, NOT one of the affiliates like Office Depot. When I went to order, it was going to send me to Office Depot. I'll wait 'till Amazon has them in stock. The rebate is good for a while.

historylme
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 12:23 PM

That's awesome... I also signed up for the Amazon credit card to get $30 off your first purchase with it.

mikedc1760
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 01:45 PM

Do you think they will get them back in stock? They wanted me to order from J&R Music and Computer World.Also that it is from Amazon can you still call Apple if you have any problems?
How does that work.
BTW: This is my first post and going to be my first Mac and first laptop. I cant WAIT.Thx guys.

>Mike
( Last edited by mikedc1760; Oct 29, 2004 at 02:03 PM. )

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2004, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by history1me:
I also signed up for the Amazon credit card to get $30 off your first purchase with it.
Where did you sign up for the credit card? That would be awesome.

mikedc1760
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 06:00 PM

� $30 automatic discount off your first qualifying Amazon.com order you pay for using the card**
� Instant use of the card and coupon after approval�
� Free rewards that come quickly, easily, and automatically��
Earn 3 reward points for every dollar spent at Amazon.com
Earn 1 reward point for every dollar spent on purchases elsewhere
For every 2,500 reward points, you'll receive a $25 Amazon.com Reward Certificate
� 0% APR for 6 months on purchases and balance transfers, low variable rate thereafter, currently 11.49%
� No annual fee

They say 3 points per dollar right?
They say an $25 for 2,500 points right?
850x3=2550, therefore you get an extra 25 bucks of plus the 30 you get for getting the card...TOTAL IS 850-25-30= 795 for a new iBook. YEAAAAAAAAAA

historylme
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 06:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Centris650:
Where did you sign up for the credit card? That would be awesome. [/QUOTE

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/fl...ep2.html&ccc=1]

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2004, 06:36 PM

Funnily enough Amazon Germany doesn't even have the new iBooks yet. They're still selling the 1GHz iBook for 1500 bucks instead the 1.2 GHz one for 1050 like the Apple store does
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

ggirton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 06:47 PM

I got my Photoshop 7 upgrade through Amazon, supposedly was going to get a rebate, plus a book.

It never happened!
a penny here a penny there, pretty soon you're talking two cents

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2004, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by mikedc1760:
� $30 automatic discount off your first qualifying Amazon.com order you pay for using the card**

850x3=2550, therefore you get an extra 25 bucks of plus the 30 you get for getting the card...TOTAL IS 850-25-30= 795 for a new iBook. YEAAAAAAAAAA
Will you get the points for $850 or $820 dollars? Oh, and this $25 certificate is this a check or a gift certificate to be used on your NEXT purchase? I'm going to look into this.

Phrogman
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2004, 03:23 AM

� Instant use of the card and coupon after approval�
� Free rewards that come quickly, easily, and automatically��
Earn 3 reward points for every dollar spent at Amazon.com
Earn 1 reward point for every dollar spent on purchases elsewhere
For every 2,500 reward points, you'll receive a $25 Amazon.com Reward Certificate
� 0% APR for 6 months on purchases and balance transfers, low variable rate thereafter, currently 11.49%
� No annual fee

Don't forget the 1.57% discount from Amazon if you do a A9.com search prior to putting the iBook in your basket.

mikedc1760
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2004, 11:15 AM

HAHA,thanks for that tip. This is a great deal.

fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2004, 08:45 PM

Aren't you concerned about the size of the hard drive? I guess with that price I can live with it.

I know that if I replace the hard drive I void the warranty. If I get applecare I would assume that gets voided for the remaining 2 years as well?

preslove
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2004, 08:45 PM

You can click on add to cart under More Buying Choices. It looks like it's still in stock. I've gone to the final screen before taking it out of my cart. I would make this my first mac if Apple didn't make it so hard to put a new hard drive into their laptops. I find that so ****ed up it makes me want to avoid ALL of their products, even though I like their style.

historylme
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by preslove:
You can click on add to cart under More Buying Choices. It looks like it's still in stock. I've gone to the final screen before taking it out of my cart. I would make this my first mac if Apple didn't make it so hard to put a new hard drive into their laptops. I find that so ****ed up it makes me want to avoid ALL of their products, even though I like their style.
I just got mine from amazon (one of their 3 party vendors) for ... get this: 759.00
It was 750 but $9 in shipping.

I am so hoping that I get an actually 1.2 iboook, because if not... I have a lot of customer complaining ahead of me.

mikedc1760
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2004, 07:31 PM

Mind telling us from who and how?

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 31, 2004, 10:43 PM

I just got mine from amazon (one of their 3 party vendors) for ... get this: 759.00
It was 750 but $9 in shipping.

I am so hoping that I get an actually 1.2 iboook, because if not... I have a lot of customer complaining ahead of me.
Yes, please! Do Tell!

benb
Oct 31, 2004, 11:21 PM

Mind telling us from who and how?
Click on the new and used link.

Or just click here.

The first guy isn't selling them anymore. I just bought one from the second guy. $748 total. I said I wasn't gonna buy a computer right now because I'm poor, but this deal is too good to pass up. Its sitting in my cart as the new 1.2GHz model with AE. Time will tell.

historylme
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2004, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by benb:
Click on the new and used link.

Or just click here.

The first guy isn't selling them anymore. I just bought one from the second guy. $748 total. I said I wasn't gonna buy a computer right now because I'm poor, but this deal is too good to pass up. Its sitting in my cart as the new 1.2GHz model with AE. Time will tell.

Yeah, the transaction didn't go through so, I'm back at the starting place.

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 09:05 AM

Well, I ordered mine! The total came to $969.69. (I applied for the Amazon.com Visa for $30 off the first purchase) Then with the $150 rebate my total will be $819.69. What's even cooler is that my parents felt sorry that my little girl broke my clamshell iBook that they are giving me $800 towards a new laptop! So this mac will cost me only $19.69! Not too shabby. I think I'll sell my old iBook on ebay for salvage and put whatever I make off of it towards a 1gig ram module. WooHoo!

Phrogman
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Centris650:
Well, I ordered mine! The total came to $969.69. (I applied for the Amazon.com Visa for $30 off the first purchase) Then with the $150 rebate my total will be $819.69. What's even cooler is that my parents felt sorry that my little girl broke my clamshell iBook that they are giving me $800 towards a new laptop! So this mac will cost me only $19.69! Not too shabby. I think I'll sell my old iBook on ebay for salvage and put whatever I make off of it towards a 1gig ram module. WooHoo!
Centris650,

It would have only cost $3.99 if you would have done the A9.com search prior to putting the iBook in your cart and checking out.

Oh well.......

paingold
Nov 6, 2004, 12:56 PM

I just ordered mine thru amazon. It looks like it's going to be awhile before it gets here though.

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2004, 11:42 PM

I just sold my 700mhz ibook for $750 on ebay.... I planned on getting a 12" powerbook... but I can get the current 12" iBook (I LOVED my iBook... a new one is fine with me!!!) for $850...... no tax.....no shipping..........after the rebate. I can wait 1-2 weeks for delivery for THAT deal!!!!

ahbrooks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2004, 01:33 AM

The rebate link that previously contained a coupon for 12 and 14in books now contains only the 14 in one...

edited: thanks for emailing....
( Last edited by ahbrooks; Nov 10, 2004 at 09:49 AM. )

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2004, 03:52 AM

$hit just when I was going to order one! The rebate's only showing for the 14" now!

historylme
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2004, 01:07 PM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
$hit just when I was going to order one! The rebate's only showing for the 14" now!
I have the old one, I can email it to you, if you like.

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 08:10 AM

Just ordered my new iBook along with a Epson CX5400 all-in-one printer ($129 - $30 mail in rebate - $100 main in rebate = $0) Since the order price was higher, the A9 discount was $17 so it gave me a little extra off the iBook, in addition to the $30 off coupon for using the Amazon.com VISA.

Just hope my iBook arrives before the $150 Amazon.com mail in rebate expires!
Troy Murray

Win2Mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2004, 11:06 AM

I have a quick question about support. If I buy the iBook from Amazon.com and something goes wrong with it, can I take it to an Apple store for servicing? There is an Apple store about 10 mins. from where I work, so if I ever needed any assistance, I could just take it there. Let me know.
One to soon switch from Windows,

Win2Mac
Jn. 6:53

Win2Mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2004, 11:07 AM

...and what does one have to do to get the A9 discount?
One to soon switch from Windows,

Win2Mac
Jn. 6:53

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 11:08 AM

I know you can call Apple for support, but I think if you go to the Apple Store they charge you. Not sure if that is true if you have Applecare or not.
Troy Murray

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Win2Mac:
...and what does one have to do to get the A9 discount?
Do a search using the A9 search on the Amazon.com site, then add something to you cart to get the discount. It's like 1.52% or something.
Troy Murray

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2004, 12:58 PM

I have the old one, I can email it to you, if you like.
Could you post the old rebate? Thank you!

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 01:12 PM

Hmm, never done this before, by try this....

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...cty=US&lang=en
Troy Murray

historylme
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2004, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by mrpuddles:
Could you post the old rebate? Thank you!
Sorry, no way for me to post it... but someone already did.

OH, yeah... got love the support for all Ibookians.

molala
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 12, 2004, 10:40 PM

You get Applecare, just keep the receipt. This enables you to have your iBook serviced in any Apple Store or Apple Center anywhere in the world.

Originally posted by troymurray:
I know you can call Apple for support, but I think if you go to the Apple Store they charge you. Not sure if that is true if you have Applecare or not.

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2004, 11:58 PM

The $150 amazon rebate form clearly states the ORDER has to be placed by the expiration date.... the rebate isn't tied to ship date

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2004, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by jmatero:
The $150 amazon rebate form clearly states the ORDER has to be placed by the expiration date.... the rebate isn't tied to ship date
True, it does say that, but then it states that mail in rebate needs to be postmarked by 12/21/04. The question remains if we will get our iBooks by then.
Troy Murray

jmatero
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2004, 10:39 AM

good point... however, I bought my old 700 ibook from amazon way-back-when ($100 rebate back then) and it took about 2 weeks for delivery.... they're usually pretty spot-on about ship dates. Now to find memory.... part of me says "get the good Samsung stuff".... part of me says "I've always purchased from Memory2go and NEVER had any problems. Hmmm.

Spartan24
Nov 13, 2004, 11:21 AM

Looks to me like Amazon pulled that $150 rebate on the new iBook 12" (1.2 ghz).. I'm pretty sure we caught them with a coupon misprint from what I see at other sites who specifically list what is included under rebate. Looks like they only intended this for the 1.0ghz. Whatever, it sure looks like they sold a bunch of Apple notebooks..

Hope we all don't get surprised in the end and find they won't honor these $150 rebate certificates.

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 02:39 PM

They changed the rebate to a $100 rebate now. Wonder if they will still accept the $150?

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2004, 03:04 PM

They changed the rebate to a $100 rebate now. Wonder if they will still accept the $150?
Well we have the rebate forms, we can send them the copy along with our submission (make sure to keep a copy of EVERYTHING yourself!). If they don't honor the $150, then two words come to mind "class action"
Troy Murray

mrpuddles
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 03:08 PM

When you send these in - do you send a copy of the UPC or the actual UPC?

troymurray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 13, 2004, 03:13 PM

When you send these in - do you send a copy of the UPC or the actual UPC?
Depends on the rebate, some require the actual UPC, others say they will accept a copy. The Amazon.com $150 rebate askes for a copy of the UPC and a copy of the packing slip.
Troy Murray

Forum Links
Forum Rules