Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Drive-in BETA out now

Drive-in BETA out now
BFerrentino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2006, 08:23 PM

Flip4Mac is releasing a new product called Drive-in which allows you to image your DVD's onto your HD.

Check it out here and feel free to discuss it, I'll be monitoring various forums and we need as much feedback as possible.

Flip4Mac Drive-in

Mithras
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2006, 09:53 PM

So I guess the first question is: why use this instead of a DeCSS variant that decrypts the VIDEO_TS folder, such as MacTheRipper?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2006, 02:45 AM

Just from looking at the website, it looks like this offers some library support and metadata download (from somewhere). Plus I assume it's licensed (from someone) and not a semi-legal reverse-engineering job.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Dec 22, 2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Mithras View Post
So I guess the first question is: why use this instead of a DeCSS variant that decrypts the VIDEO_TS folder, such as MacTheRipper?
This is actually legal!

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2006, 07:10 PM

It sounds nice but how much space would a typical "image" use and then to have an entire library of DVD images on your computer might require a big space on your hard drive. Also, it seems like you have to have the Drive-In application to view these images, thus you can't burn it onto a regular DVD.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2006, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan View Post
It sounds nice but how much space would a typical "image" use and then to have an entire library of DVD images on your computer might require a big space on your hard drive. Also, it seems like you have to have the Drive-In application to view these images, thus you can't burn it onto a regular DVD.
I don't think they want you burning copies at all. That's the point. It would be very illegal to burn a copy of a DVD. I'm still kind of surprised this app is legal anyway, but perhaps they somehow licensed the CCS. I'd assume an image would use exactly as much space as the original data on DVD does (anywhere up to 8GB).

The metadata, for movie details, cover art, etc., get downloaded from Amazon when you enter the UPC code. Too bad the app doesn't have an iSite UPC reader like Delicious Library does. Combine this app with Library, and that would be an awesome app.

We'll see how this app does after leaving beta, but I can picture a Mac mini (and a big eff'in hard drive) in my home theater system very soon

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2006, 11:41 AM

Trying it now.

First observation: tight CCS control. I have two Superdrives in my machine. The stock drive (a Sony DW-D150A) and a Pioneer DVR-108 with modified firmware (rip-lock speed removed and region-free access enabled). Drive-in would not allow me to image a DVD (trying a perfectly legit copy of The Animatrix) from the Pioneer. Gives me a "Cannot maintain region coding" error. The image is progressing fine from the stock unmodified Sony drive, but is reading very slowly. The software is estimating a 25 minute read. Makes sense given the rip-speed lockdown most stock drives have. It would have been about a 5 minute job on the unlocked Pioneer.

Second: The metadata downloaded from Amazon.com (US) is correct. Cover art, DVD details (aspect ratio, run time, MPAA rating, release date, etc.), actors/cast, director(s), description and the stock Amazon review.

I'll post more when completed.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2006, 12:10 PM

I don't care if this is legal and DeCSS isn't.

This isn't half as useful, even for perfectly legitimate purposes. If your original disc gets lost or damaged, you can't make a new, real DVD from the image for use with your home theater, etc. You're stuck just watching the movie on your Mac.

Also, you can't share the image between computers. I have my home network set up so that all the DVDs I rip are on a file server and can be accessed and watched from any computer or TV in the house. Further, I do a DivX rip, and use this to access any of these movies remotely when in a hotel, etc. If I'm bored and looking for something to do when I'm on the road, I can just stream a movie to my laptop assuming the hotel's connection is fast enough.

All perfectly legitimate fair use things. But all things that would be impossible with this system. Besides, DeCSS is free.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 25, 2006, 07:34 PM

The application appears to create a (noncompressed) DVD disc image. Not sure what kind of format it is in - haven't tried to access it via Disk Utility or similar app. When you activate a movie in your collection, the app mounts the disc image. The image appears to the OS as a standard DVD. It does appear like you could re-rip the mounted disc image with MacTheRipper or similar if you wanted.

The apps interface isn't couch-friendly. You need at least a mouse to control it, then you'd have to switch to Front Row after mounting the DVD image.

The hack floating around the internet to let Front Row access Video_TS folders is a better solution.

I think Scifience has the right idea.

Forum Links
Forum Rules