Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How do I get internet explorer

How do I get internet explorer
mik3d16v
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2007, 05:51 PM

so my mom just got a macbook but she runs trend for her real estate business... i used to have IE on my powerbook so i though it could be done. I REALLY dont want to put windows on this computer. firefox and safari wont work, so is there any way to get IE6????

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2007, 05:58 PM

Internet Explorer 6 is only for Windows. You could run it in Parallels.

By the by, what is this Trend that requires Internet Explorer? You should complain about their lack of compatibility — not working with Firefox in this day and age is inexcusable.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Sethro
Forum Regular
Jul 18, 2007, 05:59 PM

I'm afraid that Microsoft stopped developing Windows Explorer for Mac a long time ago. Although I'm sure that you could still use Internet Explorer on an older machine running Mac OS 9, I too can understand your frustration. Some sites simply don't work too well Safari, my University sites has real difficulties rendering correctly with Safari.

One thing you could do is install Parallels or VMWare Fusion, it allows you to run Windows XP / Vista inside of Mac OSX. You dont have to install Bootcamp or anything, I myself do this when I need to use some Windows only applications like Internet Explorer and Windows Live Messenger.

mik3d16v  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2007, 06:18 PM

so if i install windows, i have to get some kind of virus protection as well. this sucks

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 06:38 PM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2007, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Eh, that's not IE6, and it won't work with most sites that won't work with Firefox. Usually that means they're using ActiveX or some other such bullshit.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 18, 2007, 06:50 PM

Change the UserAgent to Internet Explorer and it'll probably work. Can do that in Safari by enabling the Debug menu.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2007, 08:40 PM

I know this doesn't really help your acute situation, but make sure that your Mom lets them know that requiring IE6 and not working with at least Firefox in this day and age is *utterly* inexcusable and is most DEFINITELY costing them business by excluding potential customers.

I know a good many people for whom a website or service requiring them to compromise security on their own machines is quite simply out of the question. This includes most people who surf from work, on controlled networks and controlled-installation machines.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 09:02 PM

I really doubt that whatever it is doesn't work with firefox or safari with the user agent changed.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2007, 09:07 PM

I think Opera 9 was the most capable of the Mac browsers thought it looked very unMac-like.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I really doubt that whatever it is doesn't work with firefox or safari with the user agent changed.
No, as someone else said, it probably requires ActiveX.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wakeboarder2186
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 02:28 AM

she is probably using a MLS system to look up real estate. which most MLS programs are extremely tempermental to start with. i know for a fact my father's wont work with firefox, havent checked safari, but the programs most places use suck. so i understand the need for windows.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2007, 02:31 AM

These days, who needs realtors anyway, I think about a third of the houses in my area now are sold by owner. The internet is destroying the whole stranglehold on information that realtors used to have.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 04:44 AM

One option (if you have an Intel based Mac) is to use Crossover this will allow you to install and run the full Windows version of IE6 on you Mac, without having to have a full Windows install

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2007, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Eh, that's not IE6, and it won't work with most sites that won't work with Firefox. Usually that means they're using ActiveX or some other such bullshit.
I realize that, but I have used IE5 on my Mac to access some work sites. It doesn't work 100% but some have at least let me log in and view pages. I figured it wouldn't hurt trying it.

Cold Warrior
Jul 19, 2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
These days, who needs realtors anyway, I think about a third of the houses in my area now are sold by owner. The internet is destroying the whole stranglehold on information that realtors used to have.
No kidding. What's missing is an easy way for owners to get onto MLS, a Google Earth index of an area's entire MLS homes (not just partial/incomplete), and a way to filter that once loaded (e.g., by price range, amenities, etc.). Once someone masters that, and makes it available to buyers and sellers for free, the market will be transformed.

isleofjib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 19, 2007, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
No kidding. What's missing is an easy way for owners to get onto MLS, a Google Earth index of an area's entire MLS homes (not just partial/incomplete), and a way to filter that once loaded (e.g., by price range, amenities, etc.). Once someone masters that, and makes it available to buyers and sellers for free, the market will be transformed.
that is never going to happen. since MLS is usually something the local RE board provides, it works for the realtors and isn't about to do anything to harm their business.

and to the OP, yes, my MLS here wouldnt work with FF either (I had a PC at the time so it wasn't a big deal). I had an extension that would allow me to load IE in a tab in FF but that never worked very well with the MLS. I don't know if changing the user agent would fool the MLS into working with FF but I'm inclined to think it won't. and yes, it really sux that some of the boards won't make their sites functional with other browsers. when enough agents get macs, and complain about the lack of compatibility, it might change. but too many agents i knew would never consider a mac exactly because the MLS only supported IE. bummer.

himself
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2007, 02:31 AM

Some one could probably make a killing by developing standards-based, fully compatible MLS system...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Forum Links
Forum Rules