Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Wristly: Apple Watch has high satisfaction rate, changes lives

Wristly: Apple Watch has high satisfaction rate, changes lives
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Sep 10, 2015, 05:33 PM

A more detailed report from Wristly, polling more than 2,000 Apple Watch users across three months to get a more accurate look at their use of the device, has found that high satisfaction rates initially reported in July have held up over time. The Apple Watch earned a 97 percent satisfaction rate, higher than early sat rates for other Apple devices, such as the initial releases of the iPhone and iPad. Usage data reveals that most owners find themselves checking the activity rings far more than they originally thought they would.

The group of users being polled grew as the Watch became more available, and while initial adopters were mostly male, the self-selected survey group became more diverse over time. As expected, the 42mm size was the most popular among men, while the 38mm was the primary choice of female buyers. While 12 percent of buyers identified as developers of Watch apps, 74 percent of Apple Watch customers said they work either outside the tech industry (44 percent) or in the tech industry but not in areas directly related to the Watch (30 percent). Eight percent said they were retired, while only two percent identified as students.

Group age and profession breakout
Group age and profession breakout

Worldwide, the Apple Watch Sport was the most popular model, except in one region; in South America, 53 percent of buyers chose the more expensive stainless steel Apple Watch rather than the base model. In North America, Sport sales versus Watch sales were split 60-40 respectively, while Europe and the Asia/Oceania region was much more keen on the Sport model, with around 66 percent of buyers choosing the cheaper option. Thus far, the Apple Watch appeals mainly to those 35 years old and older, but 18 percent were between the ages of 25-34, and 11 percent were between 18 and 24 years old.

Again unsurprisingly, the black or space gray Sport bands were by far the most popular band option, with around 75 percent of buyers having one or the other of the two colors, and 68 percent using it as a primary band. The Milanese Loop band was the next most popular, with 12 percent of owners using it. Most owners say they are planning or have already bought additional bands, with only a third saying they don't plan to buy any additional bands from Apple, and 45 percent not planning to buy any third-party bands.

The survey also interviewed some Apple Watch owners specifically about "moments of delight," occasions where they were surprised or otherwise unexpectedly pleased by the Watch's abilities. For nearly 30 percent of owners, these occasions came around the activity-tracking abilities of the device, following by it's general utility in their lives (18 percent) and the way it gives owners more hands-free options (15 percent).

The centerpiece of the study was a detailed chart on how much more -- or less -- Apple Watch owners ended up using certain features than they expected. Buyers found they used it much more for fitness than they anticipated, with 70 percent saying it become more important than they had originally planned. Timekeeping was the next most frequent use, while using Passbook and Apple Pay, using it as a remote, using the personal messaging options, and listening to music or podcasts directly from the Watch were the activities that people found they used it for much less than initially expected.

Other interesting tidbits from the study showed that a surprising 36 percent of buyers had previously worn nothing on their wrist before acquiring the Apple Watch, roughly the same number as those that had previously worn a normal (but not luxury) wristwatch. Ten percent switched from another smartwatch, while 21 percent had upgraded from another fitness tracker. Only 18 percent had previously worn a luxury watch.

One of the primary uses of the Apple Watch turns out to be allowing users to keep their iPhone in their pocket. Ninety percent of users said they used the iPhone "much less" or "somewhat less" in the survey, and 86 percent said they wear it all day, every day. Among those who use Apple Pay, 79 percent prefer to use the Watch to handle the transactions, versus just nine percent who preferred using the iPhone. See the gallery below for more charts from the Wristly study.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 11, 2015, 07:19 AM

Oh, I don't know. Why take seriously the opinion of someone who spends $300 and up for a watch? I'm glad Apple is apply the ideas it discovered in their efforts to make their watch a viable product, but the watch itself is a waste of money. 80% of the value of one could be put in a wrist gadget that could sell for under $30. That'd be one that cleverly buzzed to signal incoming calls and messages silently and that let me control music and podcasts with convenient buttons.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

bigoldmacoak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2015, 09:42 AM

Inkling clearly has never used Apple watch or a fitness tracker.

pairof9s
Senior User
Sep 11, 2015, 09:50 AM

Or perhaps Inkling should look toward Pebble, UZOU or Lemfo for the kind of watch that meets their price/performance expectation.

Watches, like cars, phones, TVs, have long varied greatly in price and features...even decades before smartwatches appeared. Each customer has their unique purchase priorities.

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2015, 10:23 AM

I've had my Apple Watch for two months, and it's great. Love the activity tracker and looking forward to WatchOS 2. Just wish I had waited for the gold aluminum model.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2015, 11:12 AM

I'm a Type I diabetic (insulin dependent).
I use the Dexcom G4 CGM and the related Apple Watch app.
This has been a life changing event for me. I can see my blood glucose level in near real time.
Worth every penny.

drbroom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 11, 2015, 11:28 AM

I can see why people who have medical issues can find it worth while... I on the other hand got one as a gift and after two weeks of attempting to use it, I put is away and not missed it once.

I think even free, for the average user, it is utter dissatisfaction!

Forum Links
Forum Rules