Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Ditch the land line?

Ditch the land line?
Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 12:04 AM

my wife and i are moving soon, and we both have mobile phones. i am thinking of not getting a land line at the future abode.

i have heard that other people are taking this plunge, but are there any downsides?

do most new mobile phones have the 911 GPS tracking built in?

we send occasional faxes, but it's not a big issue.

of course, i'd have to get a wireless adapter so our TiVo can get the schedule information (and tell them what kind of products we might buy in the future).

i just want to hear lots of people tell me that it's ok, and it saves a few bucks.

Thanks y'all.

OH-N'omac
Jul 1, 2004, 12:13 AM

Most new phones have 911/GPS, but not every 911 system is capable of homing in on you...something to ask about wherever you're moving to.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 08:01 AM

very very weird...what is this thread? and what is the other one? *pointes up*

anyway, almost 8 years, no landline.

Casper Crane  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 09:44 AM

don't know why there is a duplicate thread here. i am not able to delete it myself, so Moderators, if you would please be so kind as to delete this one - it has fewer replies.

thanks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Casper Crane:
don't know why there is a duplicate thread here. i am not able to delete it myself, so Moderators, if you would please be so kind as to delete this one - it has fewer replies.

thanks.
Gosh, for a moment I thought I was going nuts.
I could have sworn I just posted...

-t

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2004, 11:14 AM

I got rid of my land line three years ago, when I got cable internet. Don't miss the telemarketing calls at all!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 03:07 PM

No sense in getting a land line if you get a decent signal strength from your home. I've been happy with Sprint so far. But not too happy with Comcast internet which costs me $60 a month. I checked into getting basic telephone service and DSL, add those two together and it costs almost the same as cable.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 06:51 PM

Posted in the other thread, but I guess i will post it here too:

I think I read recently that certain DSL providers no longer require local phone service so you should look into that.

Like someone mentioned, there are only a couple reasons to keep land line service:

911 - Although you can call 911 with your cell phone, its not exactly perfect. There are tons of routing problems and such. I heard a couple people here in MA that called 911 and it called Minnesota state police and other random places like that.

Long Distance - You might have long distance for free on your cell phone but that doesn't mean other people do. If you move to a different area code and your neighbor or someone needs to call you, they might have to pay long distance to call you.

Does anyone know if calling 800 numbers counts as free minutes? That could be a problem if you ever have to call tech support and wait on hold.

I am sure I missing something.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 07:13 PM

Was debating the same thing when my wife and I moved to VA. Decided to go for the landline as well as cell just for convenience. I don't like giving out my cell number to too many people so the landline serves that purpose (online orders, bills, etc.)

BasketofPuppies
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 07:16 PM

Does anyone else find it funny that the joke thread got more serious responses than the original?
inscrutable impenetrable impregnable inconceivable

macroy
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 07:36 PM

Then only down side I can see is if you decide to put in a alarm system for your house... they'll need a land line for monitoring purposes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules