Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad can't be restored!

iPad can't be restored!
phobos
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2011, 06:02 AM

Hi there!
I have a problem with my iPad. It was working fine a couple of hours ago but now it's stuck on the connect to iTunes screen.
Let me explain:
I started a new sync in the morning which got stuck on the backing up phase. It has happened before so I started quiting the process by pressing the x button. Nothing happened so I force quit itunes.
Restarted ipad and everything was working fine again. Did the sync again but when I rebooted )just to be on the safe side the ipad got stuck in a booting loop. Over and over again. Apple icon showing then when it's about to show the home screen it reboots.
I thought nothing of it. I got upset but I put it in DFU mode just to finish with whole process and move on!!
The only problem though is that the restore process never completed. I get an error 9 which apple online help say it's a USB breaking connection thing. It makes sense because the message I'm getting from itunes when the restore starts is "waiting for iPad" and the progress bar on the ipad shows up but never starts filling.
I thought maybe my computer is at fault and I need to restore it from another computer. So first thing when I went to work was restore the damn thing! I get the exact same error.
I have no idea what to do next...
Any help would be greatly appreciated but something tells me that this thing is fried or something...

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 14, 2011, 03:06 PM

Did you try with two different cables?

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2011, 04:28 PM

The flash drive in the iPad is knackered. It's either new drive or new iPad (or AppleCare) time.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

phobos  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2011, 05:13 PM

Different cables didn't do anything.

I think DocHM is right. It's the flash drive. I wouldn't have a problem restoring otherwise. It's still under warranty but it was bought in the States and the support in Greece in Apple products is subpar.
I'll call them tomorrow and see what they'll say about it.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 14, 2011, 05:49 PM

All iPads get mailed to Apple, and 95% of those are replaced outright.

phobos  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2011, 05:55 PM

What do you mean? They'll have to mail to the States or somewhere else other than Greece to figure out what's wrong with it??
That would waste valuable time especially if the Greek side of Apple which has really bad history of actually replacing faulty products will decide not to.
If I waste so much time then I might lose the warranty and lose the opportunity to actually send it to my sister in UK and have better chances of getting a replacement.
Anyway I'll call tomorrow and go from there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules