Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is my hard drive dying?

Is my hard drive dying?
robotmarkVIII
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2003, 10:09 AM

I have an ibook 500/CDROM with an ati rage 128 and every so often the computer stops responding and the hard drive starts to click quietly and in a rhythm. This shows up on the console when that happens:
Feb 17 08:59:10 one-beat mach_kernel: disk0s9: 0x8 (UNDEFINED).
Feb 17 08:59:12 one-beat mach_kernel: IOHIDSystem: postEvent LLEventQueue overflow.
Feb 17 08:59:14 one-beat last message repeated 53 times

I took it to an apple authorized store and they zeroed the hard drive. It didn't fix the problem however, as it started clicking shortly after I reinstalled the OS. It tended to do this while accessing certain files.

gah

kybernaut
Feb 17, 2003, 11:19 AM

Yeah, sound if its dying. Try to reproduce the problem while running Hardware Test CD.

I had this clicking thing too, but it t took some weeks till it got worse. Hardware Test only failed sometimes. My HD was a IBM Travelstar 15GN.

Greetings,

kybernaut

robotmarkVIII  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2003, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by kybernaut:
Yeah, sound if its dying. Try to reproduce the problem while running Hardware Test CD.

I had this clicking thing too, but it t took some weeks till it got worse. Hardware Test only failed sometimes. My HD was a IBM Travelstar 15GN.

Greetings,

kybernaut
my HD is a toshiba i think, but it's 15 gigs as well. last time i tested it passed the extended hardware test
the clicking is as quiet as when it is normally reading

Forum Links
Forum Rules