Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Batteries Are consumables After 1 Year??

Batteries Are consumables After 1 Year??
bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2003, 09:02 PM

Ok well it appears that batteries are considered consumables after 1 year even if you have Apple Care so basically I'm SOL. Their theory is that rechargeable batteries will eventually die so if you buy any Apple product the battery (even with Apple care) is covered for 1 year and there in after you have to buy a new one. I tried to find this in the Apple Care pdf but I couldn't find it anywhere. They failed to mention this to me when I purchased Apple Care

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2003, 09:35 PM

If they don't state it in their "Terms" then what good are their terms? And just because they say they "reserve the right to change the terms" at any time, doesn't mean that they actually CAN legally.

Call Apple Care again and get someone else. Maybe you'll get lucky. Get their name each time so if you get the same person again you can "disconnect" and try again.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 25, 2003, 06:12 AM

lol yeah good idea. As long as you have the warranty the product should work without fail....

Apple did do this with my ipod headphones tho.. the real annoying part of it was I had never really used them.. my ipod had been taken with me outside TWICE in all of it's life and apple was telling me that I probably broke the headphones?

hrmm how nice. $15 later... problem solved..
[rant] I wish they sold the ipod naked. The case is crap and breaks easy, the headphones, while nice, aren't worth the money, and the remote really depends on the user...

the only thing I like with my ipod is that nifty grey little bag.. works nicely.
Aloha

entiZ
Sep 25, 2003, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by bleee:
Ok well it appears that batteries are considered consumables after 1 year
Where did you hear this?!?!? I've only had my ibook for 4 months I guess and they said they couldn't replace the battery even tho it's still under the first year warrenty...

Well looks like I need to give them another call...

ibook | 800 | 640

bleee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2003, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by entiZ:
Where did you hear this?!?!? I've only had my ibook for 4 months I guess and they said they couldn't replace the battery even tho it's still under the first year warrenty...

Well looks like I need to give them another call...
The Apple Care tech guy told me, he said that it's covered for the first year if it's the original battery that came with your portable (but you have to make a stink about it after 90 days). If you buy a brand new battery it has a 90 day warranty.

entiZ
Sep 25, 2003, 05:27 PM

you got the number handy? and maybe that techs name?

ibook | 800 | 640

entiZ
Sep 26, 2003, 07:54 AM

well I called apple back up last night and raised a stink about it and they are making a "one time exception" and sending me out a replacement battery.

thanks for the info man you saved me a big chunk of change

ibook | 800 | 640

Forum Links
Forum Rules