Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Panther and a 800mhz g3 (Does it work well?)

Panther and a 800mhz g3 (Does it work well?)
TrazPFloyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2003, 03:43 AM

Hello everyone,

This is probably the silliest question I could possibly ask but here it is. I have an iBook I purchased last December that is a 14'' 800mhz g3 with 640 mb ram and 32 mb vram ati 7500

I want Panther but I'm apprehensive to make the move forward because I am concerned that I will suffer a drop in performance or something like that. This is probably irrational thought, but hey I'm used to being burned by so many purchases of Windows I have earned this questioning nature, plus the new iBook g4's and stuff. How will it compare to my current 10.2.8 Jaguar? Faster? Slower?

Thanks in advance and sorry in advance too (because I'm almost certain most of you will say its safe to upgrade)

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Oct 31, 2003, 03:51 AM

it's faster and nicer to use.

-r.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2003, 04:29 AM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:

-r.
word

on the 16vram ones too

mbryda
Senior User
Oct 31, 2003, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by TrazPFloyd:
Hello everyone,

This is probably the silliest question I could possibly ask but here it is. I have an iBook I purchased last December that is a 14'' 800mhz g3 with 640 mb ram and 32 mb vram ati 7500

I want Panther but I'm apprehensive to make the move forward because I am concerned that I will suffer a drop in performance or something like that. This is probably irrational thought, but hey I'm used to being burned by so many purchases of Windows I have earned this questioning nature, plus the new iBook g4's and stuff. How will it compare to my current 10.2.8 Jaguar? Faster? Slower?
Upgraded the wife's iBook, 12" iBook G3/800, 256MB to Panther and it just rocks- seems to be a little faster on that machine, so just dive right in!

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 31, 2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by rjenkinson:

-r.
What he said. I'm very happy with my Panther purchase on my 800 Mhz G3 iBook w/ 32MB video. Panther + the spanning hack and I'm a happy man.
( Last edited by flatcatch; Oct 31, 2003 at 06:37 PM. )

Keep the rubber side down!

Thorts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 01:57 AM

I just installed Panther on a new 700 iBook I got for my parents (386 RAM, 16 Megs Video RAM). Panther runs very well, essentially as fast as my Gig TiBook. On this new, mostly empty hard drive, the iBook starts up in like....15 seconds.

I'd say go for it. Especially since screen real estate is limited and Expose is so handy to give you that real estate back.

Sean

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 02:03 AM

Originally posted by TrazPFloyd:
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance and sorry in advance too (because I'm almost certain most of you will say its safe to upgrade)
I think it's a solid upgrade, but I'm not biting on it yet. I'm using 10.2.8 and it seems fine to me. I don't see anything that is really tempting me to upgrade for 129 dollars (i'm sure I could get it for 120 at mac mall or something).

If it was 50 bucks, I'd do it, but I feel i might buy a new computer in the next 6 months or so, or more likely they will fix the bugs in the next 6 months, so in that time I can get 10.3.4

If your computer is treating you right and none of the features make you excited, I say wait.

I bet it would make the computer faster, but it also adds headaches to other issues like getting your printer to print and other stuff like that.

I would give apple and other companies time to ctach up and fix all the problems.

There are always problems.

ciphun
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 12:25 PM

And panther has rocked this ibook so hard, made jaguar look like it ran like a snail. This is insane. My machine is older then yours and slower and Panther just rocks.

Upgrade.

I would suggest:

Back up your current drive.

Applications, pictures...everything.

Double check after you're done.

Then, do a complete reformat and then install panther. I know you can do an archive and install and all, but this is what I would do.

Have fun and enjoy!
peace,

ciphun

Kahpoosta Kid
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2003, 03:10 PM

Yep...Sure enuff! I loaded panther on my daughters dual usb 500 ibook--and it is much faster at everything I have seen. Go for it.
"Sometimes you're the bug....Sometimes the windshield"

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 04:28 PM

You bet - Panther works fine on my 900Mhz iBook. And 100Mhz shouldn't be that much of a difference, especially since I have less then 1/2 the RAM.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

generic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2003, 05:13 PM

Yes I too have upgraded with a G3 600 MHZ ibook w/640 mb of ram. Panther is not only faster than 10.2, but it's (seems) to be more stable.

Mallrat
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 2, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by generic:
Yes I too have upgraded with a G3 600 MHZ ibook w/640 mb of ram. Panther is not only faster than 10.2, but it's (seems) to be more stable.
What is faster? Restarting? Opening programs?

everything?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 2, 2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Mallrat:
What is faster? Restarting? Opening programs?

everything?
Everything. Startup is marginally faster on my 800MHz iBook. Shutting down and restarting is MUCH faster. App launching is also faster.

Forum Links
Forum Rules