Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > iPod help in a hurry

iPod help in a hurry
willed
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2003, 08:15 AM

I'd post this in a relevant forum but don't have much time to wait for a reply, sorry; I only got my iPod yesterday. It was plugged into my iBook last night, charging. This morning, the computer and the iPod are asleep and I wake the computer. The iPod says 'do not disconnect', which is normal as I've set it for FW HD use. However, it hasn't turned up on the desktop or in iTunes, and is still saying do not disconnect; I have no way of ejecting the thing, how do I take it away with me safely??

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2003, 08:43 AM

Well it turns out a restart sorted it (log-out, log-in didn't work). Am I the only one to think that Apple's system of disk-mounting is crap? It's so easy to forget to 'eject' the Memory Stick of my camera before pulling the plug, and no floppy-disk drives have powered eject these days. Also, when I use my iPod in FWHD mode, then eject it (from the Finder but still have it plugged in to iTunes), what happens if I want to use it as an HD later ? The only way I have found is to take the iPod out of its dock and reinsert it, a very inelegant solution.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2003, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by willed:
Well it turns out a restart sorted it (log-out, log-in didn't work). Am I the only one to think that Apple's system of disk-mounting is crap? It's so easy to forget to 'eject' the Memory Stick of my camera before pulling the plug, and no floppy-disk drives have powered eject these days. Also, when I use my iPod in FWHD mode, then eject it (from the Finder but still have it plugged in to iTunes), what happens if I want to use it as an HD later ? The only way I have found is to take the iPod out of its dock and reinsert it, a very inelegant solution.
If you eject it from the Finder, it is unmounted and no longer shows up in iTunes.

The problem here is not that Apple's system of disk-mounting is crap, it is that FIREWIRE DISK MOUNTING IS TERRIBLY, TERRIBLY BROKEN IN PANTHER.

I haven't had problems yet, but my friend's iBook G4 WILL NOT see Firewire drives - they'll show up in the System Profiler, so the hardware is okay, but they won't show up in Disk Utility, the Finder, or anywhere else.

These drives all work fine on his second machine (667 tiBook).

-s*

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
If you eject it from the Finder, it is unmounted and no longer shows up in iTunes.

The problem here is not that Apple's system of disk-mounting is crap, it is that FIREWIRE DISK MOUNTING IS TERRIBLY, TERRIBLY BROKEN IN PANTHER.

I haven't had problems yet, but my friend's iBook G4 WILL NOT see Firewire drives - they'll show up in the System Profiler, so the hardware is okay, but they won't show up in Disk Utility, the Finder, or anywhere else.

These drives all work fine on his second machine (667 tiBook).

-s*
Yeah that's what I've got - I'm using Jaguar, but whenever it wakes from sleep, the iPod appears to go into FWHD mode, and it turns up in system profiler, but it doesn't show in iTunes or Finder.... Surely Apple has a fix for this!? I'm on 10.2.8 still, is this fixed in later revisions of 10.3

chris.p
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2003, 10:25 PM

just unplug it- if its not on the desktop (a mounted drive), go for it (give it a bit of time to realise that info to the system though- about 15 secs)

Forum Links
Forum Rules