Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Can't get iDisk Utility to work on Windows XP...

Can't get iDisk Utility to work on Windows XP...
Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2003, 08:57 AM

I am trying to get the iDisk Utility working on my office machine so that I can easily move things back and forth between work and home. Office machine is a cr@ppy Dell running Windoze XP.

Have downloaded the utility. I start it up and it tries to connect. Whenever I enter my member name and password, it keeps coming back saying that the password is wrong. It isn't I have tried many times. I can definitely log in to .Mac through the web browser so the account is active.

Could this perhaps have anything to do with a proxy server? I have all the correct settings on the network preference pane.

Thanks in advance for any assistance....

Cheers,

Jordan
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

eScrib
Forum Regular
Dec 5, 2003, 10:04 AM

It USED to work for me, however for the past couple of weeks I've been getting the same error.

I thought it was a firewall thing too, but maybe Apple changed something on the iDisk end, rendering the app. incompatible???

tr
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 10:07 AM

lately, i've actually had a better time using it than before. about 2 months ago, i would try to connect, and it would connect, but i couldn't browse the iDisk. XP would just hang. what i would have to do is run the utility again, then i would have it mounted twice, and i could see the second one. but it seems to work fine for me now.

tr

Jordan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 8, 2003, 06:18 AM

It might be a firewall thing...

Anyone know what ports the iDisk utility uses?

Anyone actually getting this to work in an office environment?

vboccio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2004, 08:26 PM

I amhaving the same problem. I can log in with my mac but when i try to log in wuth the Idisk utility for win xp it say the disk can not mount. I downloaded the program and erased it re-installed it and still nothing. I can't find anything about this problem you guys have any Idea?

Insecure bone
Banned
Jan 12, 2004, 08:29 PM

I had the exact same problem, I was trying to send my cousin some poetry I had written to her XP Cicero PC. The problem was that my password was too long. I believe the PC version supports up to 6 characters, and if your password is longer than that, it wont work. Make your password as short as possible. then try it. This worked for me. I think pherhaps, that this is a glitch in the XP software.

vboccio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2004, 08:46 PM

Thanks I just read something about that at the .mac support page. For you other guys that are having a problem I just read that Idisk does not work through a proxy server and will not work. They know about the problem and are working on a fix no mention on when they think the fix will arrive.

Lew
Senior User
Jan 13, 2004, 09:17 AM

I connect to my iDisk on WinXP through a proxy server all the time. I use Windows Explorer's 'Network Places' instead of the iDisk Utility and it works fine.

Jordan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2004, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Mimizuku no Lew:
I connect to my iDisk on WinXP through a proxy server all the time. I use Windows Explorer's 'Network Places' instead of the iDisk Utility and it works fine.
Can you share the steps you go through for this?

Not that savvy on XP networking and I think my build might be locked down a bit.

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

Lew
Senior User
Jan 14, 2004, 03:41 PM

I'll do a walkthrough with screenshots when I'm next in the office.

Jordan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2004, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Mimizuku no Lew:
I'll do a walkthrough with screenshots when I'm next in the office.
Ta - I think the problem might be on our corporate firewall. Does it communicate over normal HTTP or is there another protocol that it uses? I suspect it might be trying to push AFP out there which may be blcoked.

Still - appreciate the walkthrough....

Lew
Senior User
Jan 14, 2004, 04:30 PM

It's your lucky day. I had to boot up my PC to copy a CD for my Mum so I made some screenshots.

1: Open 'My Network Places' and click on 'Add a network place' in the 'Network Tasks' pane on the left.

2: The 'Add Network Place Wizard' opens. Click 'Next'.

3: Select 'Choose another network location' and click 'Next'.

4: In the 'Internet or network address' box type 'http://idisk.mac.com/' followed by your .Mac username. Click 'Next'

5: If you have to enter a username/password to connect to the internet you will receive a dialog requesting it now. Once you have authenticated you will receive another dialog requesting your .Mac username/password (the username should already be filled in as 'idisk.mac.com\username'). Enter your password and check the 'Remember my password' box if you don't want to have to manually enter it every time you want to connect. Click 'OK'.

6: Give the shortcut a name (eg: 'My iDisk'). Click 'Next'.

7: Click 'Finish'.

8: You now have a shortcut to your iDisk in 'My Network Places'. Whenever you double-click the shortcut you will need to enter your internet username/password (if required) and your .Mac username/password (if you selected 'Remember my password' they will already be filled in and you just click on 'OK').

And to answer your question, Windows Explorer uses HTTP, not AFP, to connect to iDisk (IIRC, Apple have pulled the plug on AFP support on iDisk anyway). I can connect to my iDisk through the MOD internet gateway so hopefully you should be able to connect.
( Last edited by Lew; Jan 14, 2004 at 04:38 PM. )

dwishbone
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 04:30 PM

iDisk has been painful to use on XP lately. anytime i try to copy something to or from the iDisk via the desktop it will crash explorer. it doesnt seem to be just my work PC either. other PCs ive tried have the same problem. it also recognizes my available and total sizes by over 60MB both ways (37 total with 1 available where its more like 100 total and 67 available.)
the only way i have been able to copy files to or from my iDisk via a PC is to map the iDisk drive and use the Command Prompt. it gives no feedback on progress, but at least it doesnt crap out the system. my macs continue to be able to my iDisk flawlessly. I believe this has something to do with Apple's dropping of AFP in favor of WebDAV. AFP is supported by XP natively I believe. WebDAV/http are much slower ways to connect to an iDisk on windows. definitely slower than WebDAV on the mac.
24" iMac 2.13ghz C2D | 15" MBP 2ghz CD | "Soundwave" 60GB 5G iPod

ajbaker
Aug 11, 2004, 07:51 AM

I have the most bizzare problem with my iDisk. I am accessing through a proxy, using Windows XP. The Apple iDisk Utility does not work, however I can both map a network drive and add a network place - both accept my password, show me the contents of the iDisk and allow me to browse through folders. However when I come to copy something onto the iDisk or copy from it, I receive the following error:

"Cannot copy <file name>. The file exists."

Really helpful error! Thanks Windows.

I have trawled through the Apple help site and found the suggestion to try the WebDAV teams test WebDAV share: http://test.webdav.org/dav

This works without any problems - I can copy to and from.

Therefore this cannot be a proxy issue. Anyone any thoughts?

Regards,

Andrew Baker

ajbaker
Aug 11, 2004, 08:06 AM

I should note that I KNOW the file does NOT exist, before someone smart points that out!

gbarill
Aug 11, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by ajbaker:
"Cannot copy <file name>. The file exists."

WOW, windows never fails to surprise me. that has to be the MOST counter-intuitive and non-informative error message i've ever heard of or seen.... WOW...

Forum Links
Forum Rules