Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Time is running out....will there be new powerbooks in 2004?

Time is running out....will there be new powerbooks in 2004?
Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 17, 2004, 06:27 PM

I know this subject has been discussed before, just not recently.

I'm leaving the USA December 29th for a year's stay in Australia. I've been saving up all year just to purchase a brand new top of the line powerbook. And of course I'm waiting for the next revision. Sure it would have been great if it were going to be a G5 powerbook, but I gave up on that dream months ago. However I've always been under the impression that a new revision of the G4 powerbook (with a bumped up processor and graphics card and hard disk size) would be arriving sometime in November. Unfortunately, I haven't heard any speculation of this new powerbook for some time now.

Anyone got any info on this topic?

thanks,

lw

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2004, 07:00 PM

no body here knows .. all speculation until the announcement

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 07:08 PM

Apple and IBM have repeatedly said in the press that a G5 for the PowerBook has yet to be perfected and would nt be available untill after the new year 2005.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

t_hah
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2004, 10:56 PM

Yeah, this question is the one holding my PowerBook purchase back too. I am almost ready to buy a new one. My old Ti PowerBook is slowly dying, but I think I can still use it for a few more weeks, maybe months... I definitely want to wait out the new models...hopefull it will happen before the holiday season. But as of now, even the rumor sites are quiet about the PowerBook updates.

t

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 18, 2004, 03:13 AM

You're not going to see a G5 in early 05. Maybe not at all. There's no way in hell Apple could cram what's in the iMac into a PowerBook. Wait until mid-November, if you can. If nothing by then (for the Christmas season), then there won't be any revisions this year.
That said, the current line of PowerBooks are solid already.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

cambro
Senior User
Oct 18, 2004, 09:52 AM

But with impending iBook updates (it's all over the web for tomorrow), don't the Powerbooks have to get some sort of update soon?

I mean, right now there is 330 Mhz separating the low end iBook from the low end Powerbook. If that difference gets smaller tomorrow, I'd think a Powerbook update is very close.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 18, 2004, 10:31 AM

No G5 in PowerBook in 2005, but that doesn't mean we won't see a G4-based PowerBook update in 2004.

Of course, nobody here knows for sure however.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2004, 10:38 AM

IF they release a new PB-update tomorrow - am I entitled to get some money back? (I got my new Powerbook 3 days ago..)

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 10:43 AM

Originally posted by nooon:
IF they release a new PB-update tomorrow - am I entitled to get some money back? (I got my new Powerbook 3 days ago..)
i don't think so
http://www.mafia-designs.com

phantomac
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2004, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by nooon:
Why should you? The thing you bought is the thing that was advertised.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2004, 10:47 AM

Yeah, but I'm sure I read somewhere that Apple has some kind of price guarantee.
Like if they drop the price on something within a certain amount of days after you bought it, you get some money back - or something..

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Oct 18, 2004, 10:52 AM

Price protection
If Apple reduces the price on any product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you can request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment. To request a refund, just fill out the form below.

Upgrade protection
We will fulfill your order with the most current version available at shipment time. If the current version changes between the time you place your order and we ship it, you will be asked via email to confirm your order. If you have a question about upgrade protection for an item in your order, please fill out the form below.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 04:17 PM

apple announced a special event next tuesday(the 24th? i think) with u2. in the past these events have been because of new products. maybe pbooks and ibooks.

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2004, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Mafia:
apple announced a special event next tuesday(the 24th? i think) with u2. in the past these events have been because of new products. maybe pbooks and ibooks.
yes, except what do powerbooks and ibooks have to do with U2? sounds more itunes/ipod related.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by cmoney:
yes, except what do powerbooks and ibooks have to do with U2? sounds more itunes/ipod related.
you may be right, but who would he invite to play if it was powerbook related? just saying first there were rumors of new ibooks and now this. i bet he does the new 60gb ipod, and a new 'book.

meatyocre
Oct 19, 2004, 09:55 AM

Well the new iBooks are out and the price points look great. They will indeed attract new converts with these consumer level iBooks.

My concern now shifts to the shrinking gap between the iBooks and PowerBooks...

Fiete5401
Oct 19, 2004, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by meatyocre:
Well the new iBooks are out and the price points look great. They will indeed attract new converts with these consumer level iBooks.

My concern now shifts to the shrinking gap between the iBooks and PowerBooks...
I hope that Apple won't wait that long to widen the gap again and make me buy a new 17-incher.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 02:23 PM

No new PowerBooks for a while, according to an article on MacCentral.

"This new line-up of iBooks, along with the current PowerBooks we have will make-up the complete portable line-up we will be offering for the holidays." - David Moody vice president of Worldwide Mac Product Marketing.

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2004, 02:55 PM

well, the new ibooks will probably destroy the 12" powerbook's sales. the specs are way too close to each other.

I think the new low end ibook is probably the best portable deal that apple is offering.

-g

Mafia
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by shatten22:
well, the new ibooks will probably destroy the 12" powerbook's sales. the specs are way too close to each other.

I think the new low end ibook is probably the best portable deal that apple is offering.

-g
agreed. Apple has to update powerbook's soon or the sales will depleet fast.

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by shatten22:
I wonder if that's why they didn't offer the SuperDrive option on the 12-inch iBook. Hmmm. Personally, I'd still rather have the PowerBook, with spanning, DVI and 64MB VRAM, but $600 is a big price premium for those features.

If portable sales weren't already so strong I'd wonder if a price cut, in lieu of a refresh, was in the offing for the PowerBooks. Apple has done that before.

Fiete5401
Oct 19, 2004, 06:48 PM

Nothing much to say:

Apple needs to update the PowerBooks NOW!

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2004, 06:49 AM

Well you are going to be disappointed. MacMinute etc are reporting that there are going to be no PowerBook updates for the upcoming holiday season (from the Apple VP). Hardly surprising as there aren't currently any faster chips from either Moto or IBM that can be used.

Saterik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2004, 07:34 AM

I'm not sure it will hurt them quite as bad as some people think, my reasoning for that is as follows....

I always tend to see a lot of business men or people looking for a certain lifestyle using Powerbooks, obviously because its probably the best looking laptop on the market, not to mention its fairly pricey too. Obviously the ibook is a better deal, but that doesn't mean people won't still buy a powerbook.

I see so many people using powerbooks for nothing more than a bit of word processing and reading e-mail. Obviously therefore the ibook would have made more sense... yet they buy the powerbook because its the top of the line and it looks good.

Just my opinion.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 20, 2004, 07:51 AM

Built in bluetooth was the reason for me. I was looking for a refurb ibook or powerbook. None of the ibooks that came up had bluetooth built in.

zubro
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2004, 08:15 AM

what about now?
The iBooks are getting (too) close in specs, what is left to the PB? The high price?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2004, 08:19 AM

Are you talking about the PB12s and iBooks? Those are getting closer, but the 15s and 17s still stand apart.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

LORL
Oct 20, 2004, 11:10 AM

MacRumors Confirmation

No new powerbooks in 2004. Confirmed by an Apple marketing head.

Forum Links
Forum Rules