Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Mini Hard drive specs

Mac Mini Hard drive specs
bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 23, 2005, 04:17 PM

Does anyone know what kind of hard drive is in the Mini I'm more interested in RPM, and Cache also is it a regular sized hard drive or the smaller notebooke sized? Apple doesn't seem to list it on their website.

Also if any of you Mini owners play World of Warcraft how is the performance on the mini?

active
Jan 23, 2005, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by bleee:
Does anyone know what kind of hard drive is in the Mini I'm more interested in RPM, and Cache also is it a regular sized hard drive or the smaller notebooke sized? Apple doesn't seem to list it on their website.
Please read the forums before posting - this is answered many times, during other Mac mini posts!

Chris.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2005, 12:51 AM

4200 rpm 2.5 inch drive with(i think)8 megabytes of cache.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2005, 01:10 AM

I read in another forum that some 1.25Ghz minis have the Seagate ST94011A which is a 5400 RPM 40GB drive. The 1.42Ghz model 80s seem to be 4200 rpm. Mine is, anyway.

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2005, 02:23 AM

This can make a surprising difference, so unless I'm missing something (which may be true!), I'm surprised more people haven't posted their specs.

What would be useful is the drive model number, so we can look it up

Personally, I'd be much more inclined to give Apple the extra $100 if we thought the 80GB drive had a faster spindle speed and/or more cache, as opposed to buying just the 40GB and spending some green with my local hard drive supplier to put a drive in the machine that doesn't hold it back.

All told, I can't imagine there's a significant difference between the machines performance-wise for any other reason, right? After all, it's only an extra 170MHz, and if the drive is the bottleneck... from the sound of iDaver's post, the more info we get, the better

MacBook
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2005, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by power142:
This can make a surprising difference, so unless I'm missing something (which may be true!), I'm surprised more people haven't posted their specs.

What would be useful is the drive model number, so we can look it up ...
TOSHIBA MK8025GAS. It apparently draws less power than other 80GB drives.

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2005, 04:03 PM

I suppose we shouldn't grumble, as it is a low-cost machine, but either drive looks like a good candidate for an upgrade :/

Forum Links
Forum Rules