Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPod wont play some songs

iPod wont play some songs
nickw311
Senior User
May 12, 2005, 09:21 AM

I just got a new iPod from AppleCare and I have recently noticed that sometimes it wont play certain songs. It acts like the song is on the playlist, but not on the hard drive. I have no problems playing these songs on my computer and have owned these songs for a while.

Basically what happens is I will select a song, it will sit there for a moment and then immediately switch to the next song.

Has anyone seen this before?
27" iMac C2D

gbarill
May 12, 2005, 12:30 PM

i have this problem too, converting the songs (and hence re-copying them onto the ipod) seems to fix the problem, however it's random and when i'm out i forget which tracks have this problem...

anybody know why this happens? i'd love to know a solution, it's irritating to want to listen to a certain song when you're out, then realizing you're not able to listen to it at all

do the songs get corrupted in copying?

also does anyone else have a problem where itunes seems to corrupt song files and make them unplayable in both itunes (it refuses to listen to them, preview in finder doesn't work either) and on the ipod. basically you have to re-rip or re-download the track to get it again...

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
May 12, 2005, 01:54 PM

Maybe I will try using USB to connect it, this never happened in the past when I used USB on a PC
27" iMac C2D

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2005, 03:12 PM

This used to happen to me on my 3g 30gb iPod. However, it wasn't just a few songs, but about 75% of them would be "corrupted". I would do a re-copy from iTunes over to the iPod and it would work itself out.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2005, 03:29 PM

My iPod likes to randomly reboot itself mid-song. Can't figure out why this is happening. Brand new 4th gen 20 GB pod.

I just got this one, as a replacement from Apple, where my last ipod's (4 month old 4th gen 20gb) hard drive would start skipping over and over and over doing brr brr tic tic brr brr sounds on end until I pressed pause. The songs would stop playing when the drive did that. If I was playing off the pod in iTunes, iTunes would freeze and I couldn't do anything else with the rest of OS X.

It wasn't always the same songs. Any time I tried to reset to factory, update and recopy songs, it would be totally different songs doing it. It's as if sectors on the drive itself were hosed.

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
May 13, 2005, 06:30 AM

Well I have AppleCare, maybe I will wait a while and call them, hopefully they will replace it with a 4G one
27" iMac C2D

nickw311  (op)
Senior User
May 16, 2005, 10:45 AM

I went to the Apple Store and they told me that it is a known issue that is caused by the software on the iPod being different from that on your computer. I haven't tried it out yet but I guess if other people are having the same problem then they should also give it a try.

Good Luck
27" iMac C2D

Forum Links
Forum Rules