Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > I want to download my itunes on another computer but...

I want to download my itunes on another computer but...
Mango
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: how about i dont tell you... because i have nooo clue where my location is
Jul 3, 2005, 11:47 AM

as i said in the title, but once i download it onto another pc, my songs wont be on my itunes will they? and once i connect my ipod, i scared that its going to say ipod updating and itll take all my songs off of my ipod. Is this going to happen or will it just put all my songs on there?

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2005, 12:20 PM

No, it won't happen ... at least it won't happen automatically. Why would you even attach your iPod to the new machine anyway ?? ... if there's nothing for iTunes to update to it.

Be a little more specific about exactly what you are trying to do (migrate to a new machine ? Start using your iPod with the new machine instead of the old one ? ... you can really have 2 copies of iTunes controlling the same iPod at the same time). Sounds like you need to move all of the actual song files from your old machine to your new one, add them to iTunes on the new machine, and then start using the new machine with the iPod.

Mango  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: how about i dont tell you... because i have nooo clue where my location is
Jul 3, 2005, 12:24 PM

I'm moving this week to germany. so my computer has to be kept at our soon not to be house while the movers are there and we are living in a hotel. so i want to download itunes onto my father laptop so i can still charge it and do suff with itunes. And once i get there im still gonna have to do the same thing, since my coputer will take a lil while to get there. And till we find a house its not being set up anyways. and i listen so much that my batterie life is gone after a bout 2-3 days...
I would get a charger but theres no point the electric plugs are diifernt over there...

SoBayJake
Forum Regular
Jul 3, 2005, 02:40 PM

How large is your library? Is it possible to transfer the entire iTunes folder to the laptop via ethernet? Is it an Apple laptop? Maybe use Firewire?

As for a charger, the charger itself is the same. You can get extra plugs for it. Search the Apple store for part number: M8794G/B (You might also find it for a few dollars cheaper on Amazon or PriceGrabber.com)
Too many Apple/Mac products to even bother listing!

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2005, 03:15 PM

if you have an external drive, you can back up everything to it and run iTunes off it.

If not, you will be better off manually updating your iPod so it doesn't autosync with the new computer. If it's going to be a temporary thing, wait it out until you get your computer back.

Also, if you are using a Mac and you parents have a PC, you'll run into other problems trying to use an iPod with both for more than charging purposes.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Mango  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 3, 2005, 03:23 PM

no they both run on windows. my library isnt too large right now, since i just bought my ipod. i only have about 200 songs at the moment, so mot even a GB yet. it will be temporary but for a long time, like 3 months or something.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2005, 03:49 PM

If you aren't even up to a gig yet, my advice would be to back up all your songs (as data) to 1 or 2 CDs and then load them on whatever machine you need to load them on.

gbarill
Jul 5, 2005, 02:34 PM

that sounds like by FAR the easiest solution for your problem, burning onto cd (it would take less than 2 for how much music you have)

guess we're all used to having such huge libraries on our ipod (my 60gb is pretty much full here... i dread the day i have to reformat my ipod again)

Forum Links
Forum Rules