Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Autostarting Apache in Tiger

Autostarting Apache in Tiger
madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2006, 12:45 PM

I just recently moved up to Tiger, and am finalizing getting my local development server set back up.

In Panther, if I had "Personal Web Sharing" turned on in System Preferences, then apache would start every time I restarted the computer.

But in Tiger it seems, that setting does not last more than one login session, i.e, when I reboot, it will be switched off again. Is this the correct behavior? Just seems a bit odd, but if Apple has changed it to not be a lasting setting, then I guess I will just create an Apache StartupItem.
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2006, 05:14 PM

No, as far as I'm aware it should start automatically at boot (at least it does for me). When I'm home I'll poke around and see where that's set. Maybe try repairing permissions?
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

madmacgames  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 24, 2006, 07:34 PM

well you would think one would not need to repair permissions every day, but I guess I could try that (I've only had Tiger installed for a few days and so far have had to repair permissions twice).

Could something in Spotlight be blocking it? I know I had one hell of a time trying to get FontBook to install my user fonts (and keep them turned on). It ended up being FontBook's special cache it uses for Spotlight was not updating, and rebuilding that seemed to do the trick (though for most of my user fonts it still tells me there are multiple versions, even though there are not).
The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing
- Edmund Burke

genevish
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2006, 01:21 AM

Well, I've never had to repair permissions, but this sounds like it could be that (although I think it's probably not).

As for the StartupItem, mine is in /System/Library/StartupItems

You should also check the logs:

/var/log/httpd/error_log
and
/var/log/system.log
Scott Genevish
scott AT genevish DOT org

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by madmacgames
well you would think one would not need to repair permissions every day, but I guess I could try that (I've only had Tiger installed for a few days and so far have had to repair permissions twice).

Could something in Spotlight be blocking it? I know I had one hell of a time trying to get FontBook to install my user fonts (and keep them turned on). It ended up being FontBook's special cache it uses for Spotlight was not updating, and rebuilding that seemed to do the trick (though for most of my user fonts it still tells me there are multiple versions, even though there are not).
OT, but have you tried LinoType's free Font Explorer? One word - WOW! You'll wonder why Apple ever bothered with Font Book in the first place!
Computer thez nohhh...

Forum Links
Forum Rules