Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > One year mac switcher checking in. I'm still dependent on PeeCees

One year mac switcher checking in. I'm still dependent on PeeCees
kitcho
Mar 17, 2006, 04:14 PM

alright my powerbook's (1.33/15in/60gb/combo/apx/bt) one year anniversary will be coming up right away in early april. so far i have found the osx computing platform to be more secure, easier to use, a greater array of useful programs as well as many things i'd never thought you could do with a computer (ie: earthdesk... whoa!) but alas despite all the good i find myself typing away at my powerbook sitting infront of my brothers peecee while waiting for a CD to burn!! Here's my issue. I have a media player program for my playstation 2 console (my dvd player) and the playstation will only read a disc burned in mode2/xa . I have yet to find a burning program for mac osx that will let me burn anything in mode2/xa. Burning in this mode(not mode 1) is imperative to getting discs to READ in my ps2 console. (avi/mp3/jpg/jpeg/etc)

does anyone out there have an answer for me? i have virtual pc but it wont recognize my burner in nero!!

thanks in advance
( Last edited by kitcho; Mar 31, 2006 at 07:46 PM. )

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2006, 05:12 PM

I think I've seen reviews of Toast that discuss about its XA capabilities, but I don't actually own it myself.

Firestarter (free) might also do this, but I know that some of its features are sometimes incompatible with certain burners.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

kitcho  (op)
Mar 17, 2006, 05:21 PM

you can do xa in toast, but the limitation is that it needs to be bin/cue files or multi track (ick) (not good for avi files). there is not button or menu that allows you to input your own files to be burnt in xa mode. as far as firestarter goes ive tried it on 2 occasions with no results. it forces me to convert files prior to burning them. all i want is something that will burn the files i tell it to in xa mode without wanting a bin/cue file combo..

anyone?

edit: im not talking about multi track xa feature in toast either, that will NOT work! (its for audio/data mixed) i have tried this but all that i get are coasters. im trying firestarter right now to convert a small avi file i have to bin/cue. if this works (which it hasnt yet) i could presumabally edit the cue file and change it to mode2/2352 (block size) and then have a working disc from my mac. ill keep u guys posted.
( Last edited by kitcho; Mar 17, 2006 at 05:28 PM. )

kitcho  (op)
Mar 17, 2006, 05:55 PM

quick question for firestarter fx users. how bloody long does it take to convert a fairly small avi file (say 200mb) to bin/cue? ive been waiting for awhile now and it still says "Processing files.... 0%"

help.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2006, 08:14 AM

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2006, 08:24 AM

Does the PS2 read DVD-ROMS? if so then u can select DATA -> DVD-ROM UDF copy your files then burn this to a CD or DVD disk...yes and u can burn UDF to CD's!! Maybe this will work for you? test it on a RW disk

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 18, 2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by kitcho
you can do xa in toast, but the limitation is that it needs to be bin/cue files or multi track (ick) (not good for avi files). there is not button or menu that allows you to input your own files to be burnt in xa mode. as far as firestarter goes ive tried it on 2 occasions with no results. it forces me to convert files prior to burning them. all i want is something that will burn the files i tell it to in xa mode without wanting a bin/cue file combo..

anyone?

edit: im not talking about multi track xa feature in toast either, that will NOT work! (its for audio/data mixed) i have tried this but all that i get are coasters. im trying firestarter right now to convert a small avi file i have to bin/cue. if this works (which it hasnt yet) i could presumabally edit the cue file and change it to mode2/2352 (block size) and then have a working disc from my mac. ill keep u guys posted.
Im a bit confused now as that what exactly you tried and what u didnt try.

In toast Go DATA -> ISO 9660 Click 'Select' then either press 'ADD' button to add files via a dialog or just drag the files from the finder in to the toast window....click settings tab and make sure CDROM XA is selected (im certain this is mode 2 because it allows u to drag anything!! Mode 1 is just data an mode 2 is images/video etc) Hit Done then burn. I never seen it asking for a cue/bin file!!

kitcho  (op)
Mar 20, 2006, 03:44 PM

did the iso 9660 data mode xa but to no avail. i did however get a premade bin image to work using toast. seems like a partial solution. i think i will get a cheap pc eventually for ps2 cd burning / mp3 playing.

id like to thank those who replied but it seems there is no viable way to do this with a mac.

kitcho  (op)
Mar 31, 2006, 07:35 PM

a little bit of an update on my problem. okay, so i still havent found software for mac that will burn cd's for my ps2 media player (mode2/xa, iso level 2, no joliet, disc at once) (if you are an osx user who has done this, by all means, step up and educate me). but this post is not directed at finding faults, rather at finding solutions. a few days ago a few people I was playing a multiplayer game with recommended Ubuntu linux as a second operating system. Having been curious about linux for some time, I thought why not. So a few hours later I had it running. And let me say this-Ubuntu provides the GUI that I need for an operating system along with an ease of use comparable to that of a macintosh or windows operating system(without the other bullshit that comes with windoze). Dual booting is suprisingly easy.

the "gem" I found for linux was k3b which to me feels like nero's open source cousin. It allows burning of all sorts, but most importantly,burning of discs which read in my ps2 media player. you know what that means - my problem is entirely solved! and above all, i will never have to own a peecee box ever!

so after one year, I can honestly say I wouldn't trade my g4pb in for ANYTHING! (except a macbook pro).

apple rules
( Last edited by kitcho; Mar 31, 2006 at 07:44 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules