Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Help with B&W G3/Que/DiscBurner

Help with B&W G3/Que/DiscBurner
nine11always
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2001, 03:21 AM

PLEASE HELP ME!

While iTunes recognizes my QueFire 12x10x32 drive and begins the burning process, it shortly thereafter stops burning and never again resumes. It then cancels itself, but never finishes the cancellation process and I have to force restart.

I'd really appreciate any help I can receive on this problem. Below are the details on my system. Thanks.

B&W G3/450, 768mb RAM, OS9.1, Adaptec 2906 SCSI card, Radeon (PCI), IBM Deskstar 60GB Drive (slave/OS drive)

Randycat2001
Forum Regular
May 7, 2001, 04:53 PM

Does it burn alright when you use the included Toast software?
What's the deal with Star Wars severed limbs?

nine11always  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2001, 05:09 PM

Randycat,

Yes, when my Toast extensions are on, and I need to burn other things to CD (like artwork or photos), the Que/Toast works fine.
Of course, I have DiscBurner installed, but I don't use that as a "stand alone" app, do I?

Thanks for your inquiry and any help you can provide.

Randycat2001
Forum Regular
May 7, 2001, 05:59 PM

I'm kind of new to this disc burning stuff, myself. AFAIK, you can use the discburner as a stand alone app, though it really is meant to just add extra functionality to the OS (Discburner just hangs out in the background until the OS calls for it; you don't really need to actively start it when you want to burn a disc). If you are looking for more comprehensive features and functions, then sticking with Toast would be more desirable.

Does your system drive have plenty of HD space? At least 1.4 GB free? Discburner requires that space to cache the disc contents as you plan out what to put on it and then it writes yet another image to the HD when it actually burns the disc.

The same goes for wherever you are keeping your iTunes folder, except you only need at least 700 MB of free space.

What are you using on the Adaptec SCSI card, BTW? Do you have the latest drivers for it, since you switched to OS9.1.

[This message has been edited by Randycat2001 (edited 05-07-2001).]

nine11always  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2001, 06:28 PM

I don't think HD space is an issue, since I have around 45GB free (plus another 13GB on my second drive).

I don't have anything hooked up to my SCSI card (I used to bring home a Jaz Drive from work) so perhaps I could pull it. I don't even know if I have the latest drivers, but I think the chances that the SCSI card is the culprit are very small.

Perhaps a reinstall of iTunes 1.1??

Randycat2001
Forum Regular
May 7, 2001, 07:34 PM

What burn speed do you have set in the iTunes Pref window?

rambo47
Mac Elite
May 7, 2001, 07:44 PM

Apparently there is a compatibility issue with Toast and iTunes. If you have the extensions for both active at the same time all sorts of wierdness may occur. It varies from machine to machine but there is definitely trouble with the two. I suggest a seperate set of extensions for each. Sucks having to restart to ues one or the other. Some people have gone as far as to say not to have both installed on the same drive. That seems a bit excessive to me, but others say it's one or the other. Apple support has a discussion about iToons and Toast plus possible solutions. Take a look HERE.

------------------

iDisk: rseijas
Homepage: homepage.mac.com/rseijas

Cipher13
May 7, 2001, 07:53 PM

Tried removing the authoring support extensions?

Cipher13

------------------
AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

nine11always  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2001, 08:36 PM

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!!

Well, I never bothered to check the write speed 'cause I read that iTunes will burn at the max. speed of the burner, which in my case is 12x...but I'll try different speeds.

With regards to authoring extensions, I initially tried the settings recommended on QPS' website, but Tunes never recognized the drive. I created another seperate set of extensions and played with them until the software finally recognized the drive. So basically, I do have one set for Toast and another for iTunes. I wouldn't even mind restarting each time as long as I could get itunes to burn a @#%# CD!!

Thanks for your help � I'll play around some more this evening and let you know what I find out. Please keep the suggestions coming...

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
May 7, 2001, 09:55 PM

Transfering to the Multimedia & DV forum

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Forum Links
Forum Rules