Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just Had Lunch At Apple Headquarters!

Just Had Lunch At Apple Headquarters!
ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2006, 05:48 PM

Hey everyone, I just got back from 1 Infinite Loop! I have a friend who works at Apple and he invited me to lunch, and I excepted! I saw Phil Schiller, Jonathan Ives, and some VP accountant. I have some pictures on my RAZR V3c, but don't know how to get them to my computer (I dont' have Bluetooth). For lunch, I had a cheeseburger, but instead of the chesseburger, it was called a "Mac Plus". I also heard some interesting stories about Steve Jobs as well. I also got to go to the company store, which has quite a different layout than the regular stores, and got to play with the computers and iPods. They even had Apple clothes there, except I didn't have any money with me to get anything. A pretty good day so far!
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 05:49 PM

sounds fun hope you have more fun adventures in your future. did they have anything that might be a hint of whats to come at there store by chance?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2006, 05:51 PM

Next time you should have the pizza.

Last time I was there I ran into Bertrand Serlet. I don't bring a digital camera onto Apple's campus. That place is scary secure as it is.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 05:56 PM

Did Schiller buy your lunch?

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By goMac
Next time you should have the pizza.
Last time I was there I ran into Bertrand Serlet. I don't bring a digital camera onto Apple's campus. That place is scary secure as it is.
Yeah It's secure, the guy I was with had to scan his badge 4 times at 4 seperate places before we could get to lunch! Didn't have the pizza, but everything did look pretty good, but I was in the mood for a burger .

Originally Posted By brassplayersrock
sounds fun hope you have more fun adventures in your future. did they have anything that might be a hint of whats to come at there store by chance?
Nope! The guy I went with actually works at FileMaker, which is owned by Apple. At Filemaker, he works at the accounting department, so he doesn't know anything secret, and if he did, he said he couldn't tell me.

Originally Posted By rickey939
I wish. He was on a cell phone the whole time. He was wearing a T-Shirt, which was sort of odd as I always see him in a button up shirt at Apple presentations!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2006, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
Unless employees say something you generally don't get clues. Non-employees are not allowed up in the offices. Generally you're allowed to be brought straight through the entrance into the quad inside where Cafe Macs is.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2006, 06:03 PM

Unless employees say something you generally don't get clues. Non-employees are not allowed up in the offices. Generally you're allowed to be brought straight through the entrance into the quad inside where Cafe Macs is.
Yup, I was only allowed inside the quad where Café Macs is. Quite a nice quad, IMO.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2006, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by ApplCmptrDood
I also heard some interesting stories about Steve Jobs as well. I also got to go to the company store, which has quite a different layout than the regular stores, and got to play with the computers and iPods. They even had Apple clothes there, except I didn't have any money with me to get anything. A pretty good day so far!
Congratulations, sounds like a great day. I really like the corporate Apple Store (I have been a couple of times). I don't understand why Apple refuses to stock any Apple promotional items in the other stores. Even a small selection would be nice. But I suppose they want those items to be a special treat for people who visit the mothership.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

kikkoman
Senior User
Apr 20, 2006, 06:54 PM

so was the burger good?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 08:36 PM

Do they have a vegetarian burger on the menu?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8
Do they have a vegetarian burger on the menu?
Since steve is a veggie I am more surprised they had meat on the menu.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Since steve is a veggie I am more surprised they had meat on the menu.
Actually Steve is a pescetarian - so maybe they have a fish burger option?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8
Actually Steve is a pescetarian - so maybe they have a fish burger option?
i thought he was a vegan?

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

FireWire
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
That place is scary secure as it is.
Indeed! The lady from the Cupertino's chamber of commerce told me even firefighters have a hard time entering the building for inspections and drills!

When I "visited" the campus, after walking about 30 feet from the entrance to the security's desk, I told the guard I was travelling from Canada and that I wanted to know what was the fartest I could go to visit without a pass, and he told me "Here" Fortunately, my father pointed out to me that the washroom had view on the inner "garden", so I didn't had lunch at the headquarter, but rather only a piss. And I enjoyed it

SSharon
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 10:54 PM

This of course doesn't compare but a few years ago I visited the intel complex in Israel (where the centrino, yonah, merom projects were done) and got a tour of the area since I have a friend that works there. Since it was Israel the sercurity was already tight and this was even more so but I was still allowed to go by the offices and conference rooms (where I drew an apple logo on the whiteboard).
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
This of course doesn't compare but a few years ago I visited the intel complex in Israel (where the centrino, yonah, merom projects were done) and got a tour of the area since I have a friend that works there. Since it was Israel the sercurity was already tight and this was even more so but I was still allowed to go by the offices and conference rooms (where I drew an apple logo on the whiteboard).
So it's your fault we got stuck with Intel chips in our precious Macs?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2006, 11:34 PM

The burger was OK, it was fast food after all. Not sure if there was a veggie burger...
Speaking of Intel, my dad works there; I get 10 % off at Apple! I've been his building (the Sillicon Valley headquarters) a couple of times, and it isn't very interesting, just a bunch of cubicles, xD.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2006, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by FireWire
Indeed! The lady from the Cupertino's chamber of commerce told me even firefighters have a hard time entering the building for inspections and drills!
It's the only building I've ever been in where you need your security pass to get in and out of the building.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by ApplCmptrDood
The burger was OK, it was fast food after all. Not sure if there was a veggie burger...
Speaking of Intel, my dad works there; I get 10 % off at Apple! I've been his building (the Sillicon Valley headquarters) a couple of times, and it isn't very interesting, just a bunch of cubicles, xD.

fast food? really? that's surprising

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2006, 12:06 AM

This is only distantly related, but I was dating this girl who worked for a company that made some components for the iPod nano. I got to get a tour of the lab and the area where the wafers are processed. It was some chip that controlled the backlight, apparently TI outsourced it to them. Pretty cool machinery, kinda like in the Apple Intel commercial. Then she got me a discount on an iPod video.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2006, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee
fast food? really? that's surprising
It's more like Taco Del Mar or something. Cafeteria style.

mmmMMmmmm. If only they had a Taco Del Mar on Apple campus. Instead they have that BJ's right off the parking lot.

ApplCmptrDood: Speaking of pizza, have you ever had Stuffed Pizza? They're over in Santa Clara.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2006, 12:16 AM

^^what's you talkin 'bout willis?

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2006, 12:24 AM

Been there, done that.

Their cafeteria is VERY impressive. I hope I get the chance to go back there again this year.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2006, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee
^^what's you talkin 'bout willis?
Not that kind of BJ!

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2006, 12:50 AM

Instead they have that BJ's right off the parking lot.
BJ's right off the parking lot? Now that's employee benefits

James L
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2006, 01:07 AM

Ate lunch there with some developer dudes last year.

Employees get GREAT discounts at the corporate Apple store (like 50% off of software, can't remember the clothing discount). I picked up several items on their discount.

I highly recommend the t-shirt that says:

"I visited the mothership"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2006, 01:11 AM

: sighs :

What a horrible restaurant naming choice.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2006, 05:46 AM

It's the only building I've ever been in where you need your security pass to get in and out of the building.
Really? I have to use my security pass to leave most college buildings after 6pm.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2006, 06:18 AM

: sighs :

What a horrible restaurant naming choice.

Or the best naming choice. EVER.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2006, 07:23 AM

how were the bathrooms?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Angus_D
Really? I have to use my security pass to leave most college buildings after 6pm.
I never have. I've had to use passes to get in of course (and be recorded down in the log book if it's not my dorm building), but not out. Classroom buildings don't require any sort of ID.

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2006, 02:39 PM

ApplCmptrDood: Speaking of pizza, have you ever had Stuffed Pizza? They're over in Santa Clara.
Yes I have, but not in a couple of years - their joint in my town changed hands, :/. But, I am rather partial to Pizza My Heart - some of the best deep dish pizza around!

Originally Posted By besson3c
how were the bathrooms?
Didn't use them while I was there - too busy talking to my friends about the MacBook Pro .

BTW - It's not really fast food, it's cafeteria food, like goMac said - but they are about the same in my opinion!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2006, 02:47 PM

It's Stuft Pizza. They're pretty good, but expensive. But what isn't in Santa Clara County.

In the 20+ years living only 10 minutes from Apple HQ, I've only been there once, and that was when they announced they were removing the Icon Garden. Lots of people showed up, even the news.

I've been to Cisco tons of times. Come to think of it, not sure if they have a cafeteria (I'm sure they do, but I've never eaten in it. ) My dad and I always went someplace for lunch. The only mark I've left at Cisco was when I was a kid and my bros and I would take the roller chairs down the hallways... scuffing the walls.

Tiled floor + lots of hallways + roller chairs = crazy roller tag.

When they built their first real "Cisco" style building, it was all cubicle and carpets.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

goMac
Posting Junkie
Apr 21, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon
It's Stuft Pizza. They're pretty good, but expensive. But what isn't in Santa Clara County.
Yeah, they are pretty expensive, pizza, garlic bread, and drinks must have run me $20. My girlfriend is the one who would know how to spell it properly, not me.

The worst thing Northern California has done to me is introduced me to Togo's. They don't have any in Seattle, so when I have to go back to Subway in Seattle... it's.... disappointing...

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2006, 05:24 PM

The worst thing Northern California has done to me is introduced me to Togo's. They don't have any in Seattle, so when I have to go back to Subway in Seattle... it's.... disappointing...
Togo's kicks ass. #16 Italian for me! And maybe some Broccoli Cheese or Roasted Corn soup. *drool* Their hot pastrami is really good, too. But 90% of the time I just get a #16.

I used to go to the #1 and the #2 stores in San Jose. I lived down the street from their #2 store. I don't like their new "look," but their sandwiches are still awesome. I miss the old pub look with the wooden menu on the wall and the kegs of beer and rootbeer. I think their #1 store still does that.

I don't understand how people can actually like Subway. It's just horrible.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Apr 21, 2006, 05:33 PM

Did you see the leopard roaming around????

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
Did you see the leopard roaming around????
I heard about a turtle sighting on campus.

OS X 11 ?

-t

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939

No, he ate it.
I, ASIMO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules