Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > When is the 6th generation Ipod coming?

When is the 6th generation Ipod coming?
bokeyxms
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2006, 10:30 PM

Anyone know when the next generation ipod is coming?
Anyone have list of dates, or site that lists the previous release dates of all ipods and minis, nanos, shuffles, etc.?
When did the 5th generation come out?

Also, are the warranties international?

Commodus
Mac Elite
May 13, 2006, 11:58 PM

Apple never makes public its plans. There are also no real rumours other than "there may or may not be a video-focused iPod by the end of 2006."

As for past history, the 5th-gens appeared in Octobet 2005. The rest can be found here.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 14, 2006, 01:23 AM

Yes, the warranties are international (not sure what that has to do with the other questions, but...)

MovieCutter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2006, 11:01 AM

Tomorrow, they're coming out tomorrow.

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by MovieCutter
Tomorrow, they're coming out tomorrow.
Or was it the day after tomorrow?
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

rapopescu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 17, 2006, 04:12 PM

well, if the macbooks wont come out for the 5th ave store in ny, what will? the power macs wont be replaced for they are expected by fall, so there must be a change in ipods or something, like a replacment of the consumer loved ipod shuffle, or the widescreen ipods that are expcted

athom108
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2006, 06:11 PM

I have a friend who works at apple and according to him there will be newer video ipods released towards the end of summer. They will include substantial price reductions and will include TV reception. And if you think that's too good to be true, it is. My friend hears voices too. So do I. Me too.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2006, 02:30 PM

Before the Xmas shopping season is a safe bet. Other then that, who knows.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

dahcar
Jun 1, 2006, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by athom108
I have a friend who works at apple and according to him there will be newer video ipods released towards the end of summer. They will include substantial price reductions and will include TV reception. And if you think that's too good to be true, it is. My friend hears voices too. So do I. Me too.
yeah, and they include an internal directtv satellite dishes and shoot lasers.

dahcar
Jun 2, 2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by vaishali
hello i am here
hi.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by azt33
Or was it the day after tomorrow?
Can't be then, it's always on a tuesday.

You have to wait until at least next week.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
Jun 7, 2006, 07:56 PM

just a guess, right before the Winter Holiday season..

tboparis
Jun 21, 2006, 03:11 PM

I don't know when it's coming out but there has been lots of noise about an iphone so i'll bet in the automn season (same as for the nano)
( Last edited by tboparis; Jun 22, 2006 at 03:54 PM. )

kitcho
Jun 30, 2006, 02:30 PM

not sure exactly what they would innovate with an iphone considering sony has already done a very good job with its walkman phone series. (w800/w810 and the new w300 among others) the only inherent advantage would be built in Itunes support but other than that sony has already been there, done that. And considering how many restrictions there are on my sony products (arrgh sonicstage) the walkman phones have eleviated themselves of this burden with the hopes of capturing some of ipods market share. I personally sold my nano in favor of a walkman phone and havent looked back since. I would like to speculate that the new ipods would have built in bluetooth functionality but if this dosent include a bluetooth remote control then they would be dropping the ball anyways.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2006, 10:23 PM

I keep thinking about flashing my K750i to a W800i to see what the big deal is about the Media Player's interface on the latter. I find the K750i's passable, but not nearly as good as an iPod. But I don't use headphones much.

Anyway, the point of Apple's making a phone is exactly that folks like you and me exist, using phones instead of iPods. Why should Apple be happy with Sony Ericsson taking that money instead of them?

P.S. AppleInsider thinks a redesign of the nano might still be on track for late-September.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2006, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by kitcho
not sure exactly what they would innovate with an iphone considering sony has already done a very good job with its walkman phone series. (w800/w810 and the new w300 among others)
Do the newer ones sound acceptable?

'cuz the 750 hardware sounds pretty crap.

Of course, the original iPods are testament to the fact that better interface and design will win out over better sound, but still, the Sony-Ericsson phones I've heard so far had neither.

Forum Links
Forum Rules