Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Weird keyboard output error

Weird keyboard output error
sschwar2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2001, 12:36 AM

I first noticed this problem in the terminal, but it occurs in OS 9.2 and 10.1 in ANY application.

If I type "cd <space>" quickly, it will produce "cdd "

Anyone else seen this problem? Any idea if its keyboard or motherboard?

Steve

Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2001, 04:14 PM

I'd have to guess that you have one of those smaller style keyboard that came with the original iMacs, older G4's and not Apple's new extended keyboard. I have seen similar things happen on 2 other macs, except it sounds like what I saw was worse. Basically, what happened on the 2 other macs that I use was that pressing various keys would make 2 things appear and make typing very hard. For example, pressing a 6 would give me a 06.

The solution was that I replaced the keyboards and everything was better.

Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2001, 04:14 PM

Stupid double post.

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: Dalgo ]

tonton
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2001, 02:26 PM

I don't really have anything to add, but this reminds me of a strange problem I had years ago with a third party keyboard -- the best keyboard I've ever had...

About once a week, while typing, the keyboard buffer would suddenly, without any reason, be filled with a string of text saying something like the name of a company or something. It was really strange, and originally I thought I had a virus. I eventually traced the problem to the keyboard when I switched the keyboard to a new computer.

Other than that, it was one of the best keyboards I've ever used (except for my Ti keyboard, of course) because it was really, really "clicky". Made a lot of noise, though and bothered my GF when she was trying to sleep.

But that had it's own advantages sometimes. "Oh, Sweetie, you're up?" Well, you know the rest...
��n+�N

Got Vurt? Jeff Noon

Forum Links
Forum Rules