Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Connect mac mini to HDTV

Connect mac mini to HDTV
khurtwilliams
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2006, 01:53 PM

I want to connect my mac mini to my HDTV. The HDTV has a HDMI input. Can I use the Belkin PureAV HDMI Interface-to-DVI Video Cable to connect the mac mini to this TV?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2006, 09:15 PM

I don't even want to think about how much a "Belkin PureAV" cable would cost.

This $10 cable will do the job well: Newegg.com - SYBA 6FT, DVI-D Male to HDMI Male Cable, Gold Plated Connector, RoHS - Retail

edit: Ok, curiosity got the best of me and I looked up the 4' Belkin PureAV HDMI Interface-to-DVI Video Cable... $100! Wow, what a rip!

khurtwilliams  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2006, 10:18 AM

I took your advice and ordered the SYBA 6FT, DVI-D Male to HDMI Male Cable from NewEgg. I can't wait to connect my mac mini to my 34inch HDTV. I have an Apple wireless keyboard and Apple wireless mighty mouse to complete the outfit.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2006, 01:25 PM

khurtwilliams, did you get that cable? I've never used an HDMI interface before, and I'd like to with my new Samsung LCD.

Does this thing transfer audio as well? Or just the video signal?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2006, 05:15 PM

While HDMI can transfer audio, the cable I linked to is just for video (the audio pins on the HDMI end aren't connected to anything).
For audio you should connect the analog or optical output on your Mac mini to the analog or optical input on your TV or receiver/sound system.

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2006, 07:24 PM

so if ideally a MBP or a Mini had an HDMI port, I'd be able to transfer optimal quality sound and video with just one cable - just like the iTV?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by macboy View Post
so if ideally a MBP or a Mini had an HDMI port, I'd be able to transfer optimal quality sound and video with just one cable - just like the iTV?
Yes.

khurtwilliams  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2006, 09:38 PM

khurtwilliams, did you get that cable? I've never used an HDMI interface before, and I'd like to with my new Samsung LCD.

As soon as it comes in I'll let everyone know.

m_young
Forum Regular
Dec 12, 2006, 12:01 AM

FWIW, I've used a DVI-HDMI cable to connect my MacBook to my 32" HDTV and it's worked exceptionally well. You just have to figure out what resolution is right for the TV

iDriveX
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2006, 11:56 PM

Speaking of Resolutions....

I hooked up my Mac Mini (Core Solo) to my 46" HDTV and the available resolutions in NTSC are:

720x480
800x600
1024x768

I am only using this for Front Row. The best resolution I could find was 720x480. The others don't look too fantastic on my TV. But interestingly enough I was reading the Engadget "HOW-TO: Turn Your Mac Mini Into a Media Server" and they were saying if you connect your Mac Mini up to your HDTV via DVI on both ends you would achieve "the holy grail of 1920x1200 HDTV resolution". Why is that resolution not available to me? It would make these shows I'm watching look a lot nicer without a black frame around them.

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

khurtwilliams  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2006, 07:53 AM

HDMI is for audio and video
I did get the cable but I am disappointed. The Sony HD TV has resolutions of 1080i, 720p, and 480p but I could get the mac mini to work with only one of those in 1920x1024 mode. The resolution sucked. I could hardly read the text. The other modes led to either under scanning or over scanning of the HDTV signal.

What resolutions are others using?
( Last edited by khurtwilliams; Feb 4, 2007 at 08:42 AM. Reason: mistakenly replied that HDMI was for audio)

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2006, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by khurtwilliams View Post
HDMI is just for audio.
No HDMI carries audio/video, video only, or audio only.
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

rclay6612
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2006, 06:26 PM

I'm using one of the cheaper cables from newegg for DVI to HDMI and my mini is driving my 42" Samsung plasma without a hitch. Looks great. The audio from the analog to RCA plugs isn't great but works until I upgrade my receiver for digital audio in. Yes, my receiver is that old.

Forum Links
Forum Rules