Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Record audio from website

Record audio from website
boyGenius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2007, 10:45 PM

I need to record a short audio clip that's played (in flash) on a website. I have audacity set up, I play the audio, but it only records it through the mic, which is not what I want. This sounds like it must be so simple to do, yet I can't do it.

Can anyone help.

PS: I also tried recording with garage band, but it didn't work either.

BTW: I'm using an iMac 17", 2Ghz, 1Gig ram
( Last edited by boyGenius; Feb 14, 2007 at 10:46 PM. Reason: added type of computer)

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2007, 11:25 PM

This'll route audio from one application into another: Rogue Amoeba - Audio Hijack: Record any audio on Mac OS X

You can also just connect a 1/8" stereo cable between your line-in and line-out ports and record that way.

boyGenius  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by slpdLoad View Post
This'll route audio from one application into another: Rogue Amoeba - Audio Hijack: Record any audio on Mac OS X

You can also just connect a 1/8" stereo cable between your line-in and line-out ports and record that way.
Thanks. I'll try that, but it seems like there should be an easier way. I'm sure I used to be able to do it rather easily on my PC... before I bought this superior machine (that's not sarcastic, even though it might have sounded like it.)

Barring an easier way, is there a free software way?

allblue
Forum Regular
Feb 17, 2007, 09:28 AM

Slightly complicated answer I'm afraid...
Once upon a time there was a lovely bit of freeware called WireTap 1.0. It had a simple floating control panel, and would record any audio running through your system as an aiff file (they couldn't pay the mp3 license for a bit of freeware.) Then they (Ambrosia Software) withdrew 1.0, and replaced it with WireTap Pro, complete with additional functionality, which costs $19.99. Somewhere along the line an OS upgrade rendered the old freeware non-functional, which rather annoyed me as it had been ideal for the rare occasions I needed to record as such.
Anyway, in getting the URL below for this post, I discovered that for users of the original freeware 1.0, installing the pro version would re-enable the original freeware (sans any of the additional features) without registration therefore still free.. I have just done this, and hey presto, 1.0 works again! I'm not sure if that helps the OP, twenty bucks will get you what you want though, but thanks to the OP for pointing me in that direction... and also kudos to Ambrosia for their retrospective (freeware) customer support!

Check WireTap Pro out here:
WireTap Pro 1.2.0 – Mac OS X – VersionTracker

and to follow the discussion the freeware version is still listed here:
WireTap 1.0 - MacUpdate
( Last edited by allblue; Feb 17, 2007 at 12:55 PM. )
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

Forum Links
Forum Rules