Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > How to pick OS without Apple keyboard

How to pick OS without Apple keyboard
MoopMeep
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 3, 2007, 03:44 PM

I am a new Mac user. I have successfully installed boot camp and Vista on my mini mac and it runs fine. The instructions indicate that during the boot I should be able to hold down the option key to select the OS to start. When I connect an Apple keyboard this works fine but when I try doing the same thing with my logitech elite keyboard it doesn't work. Is there anyway to get this to work with the logitech keyboard?

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 3, 2007, 07:21 PM

Which Mac? Some MacBook Pros have problems with external keyboards on bootup. You've tried ctrl, windows key and alt?

Another possibility is to install rEFIt, a third-party boot menu. You shouldn't need the option key to access it.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2007, 07:38 PM

The op said mini - they're using a logitech keyboard that does not have an option key.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
The op said mini - they're using a logitech keyboard that does not have an option key.
How can it not have an Option key? It doesn't have Alt keys?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2007, 08:25 PM

Maybe, it has an Alt key, but it looks like the OP doesn't know whether that is the same as the Option key.

ibook_steve
Apr 3, 2007, 10:57 PM

Alt key on Windows keyboards is option key.

Steve

mfbernstein
Senior User
Apr 4, 2007, 12:58 AM

Agreed, it does have an alt key. I checked a photograph! I have the same problem with my MBP and an external PC keyboard (though I assumed it was because of the PS/2-USB adapter). However, rEFIt works fine for me with both internal and external keyboard, and I would expect the same on the mini.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2007, 08:32 AM

You could try holding down the Menu button on your Apple Remote when you boot your Mac. This should give you the OS selection screen. You can also use the remote to select which OS to boot by pressing Play.

Macola
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2007, 01:23 PM

Some Logitech keybaords (I have one from a couple of years ago) had the Option and Command (Apple) keys switched. Try the Command key and see if that works.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

shockme17
Apr 11, 2007, 06:22 PM

you can also hold down the menu button on the remote, and that will bring up the apple bootloader

Forum Links
Forum Rules