Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Store refurbs

Apple Store refurbs
Lava Lamp Freak
Apr 15, 2007, 11:31 AM

I'm wanting to buy a refurb 23" Cinema Display and Airport Extreme from the Apple Store. Both list the specs of the previous releases. If I order, will I get what is displayed, or the current models? I'm hoping they aren't really selling year old refurb 23" displays, as that really wouldn't be worth the discount.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2007, 12:01 PM

You get what you buy. If the specs say its the old display and base station, expect the old display and base station.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 15, 2007, 01:10 PM

yup
ice

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2007, 01:15 PM

What's the the difference in displays from a year ago? 4 ms worth of response time?
Linkinus is king.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Apr 15, 2007, 01:28 PM

Differences are 700:1 contrast vs 400:1, and 400 cd/m2 brightness vs 270 cd/m2.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2007, 01:32 PM

Ah.... And 4 ms worth of response time.
Linkinus is king.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Apr 15, 2007, 01:38 PM

There's a listing in my local paper for a 1984 corvette. If I buy it, will I get a 2007 Corvette? It lists the specs for the old 1984 one, but I'm just wondering if I'll get the 2007 one instead.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Apr 15, 2007, 01:44 PM

I called Apple and was told I might get a current one, but there is no guarantee. It is whatever they have at the time I place my order. I was hoping that I could get a refreshed one from my local Apple Store, but was told they rarely have displays returned. I bought my MBP refreshed at the store and it was cheaper than ordering from Amazon, even considering I paid tax.

Lava Lamp Freak  (op)
Apr 16, 2007, 02:24 PM

It looks like the displays were a silent update last year. The only way to tell if you're even buying a monitor with the latest specs is to decode the serial number. Anything after March 2006 is the new specs. CompUSA still posts the previous specs. The Apple rep there didn't even know there was an update. He tried to tell me that nothing had changed in them since 2005. His argument was, "I'm the Apple Rep. I would know if anything had changed." Well, I guess not. The 23" rocks, by the way. I had the original 23" Alu at my last job, and this new one smokes it.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
There's a listing in my local paper for a 1984 corvette. If I buy it, will I get a 2007 Corvette? It lists the specs for the old 1984 one, but I'm just wondering if I'll get the 2007 one instead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules