Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 24" iMac Is Freaking Huge

24" iMac Is Freaking Huge
Jumbonium2007
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2007, 02:04 PM

Im posting this from the apple store in Troy MI on a 24" iMac and its freaking huge.. Im walking out with a 20" core 2 duo iMac for my uncle.. freaken awesome

allblue
Forum Regular
May 1, 2007, 02:41 PM

Hurrah!
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2007, 03:33 PM

I want a 30 incher. And yes I'm serious.

Actually, what I'd also like to see is a 24" with a somewhat beefier GPU option and 512 MB RAM, and then a good inexpensive matching 24" LCD... along with a bigger desk and bigger home office at my place...

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2007, 06:13 PM

I'm still madly in love with my 24" iMac, even though I've had it for a little while now. I still sometimes just stand back and stare at it. A bit weird/unhealthy on my part, but whatever, no one sees me.

And I agree with Eug, I'd love a 30"er. Black, 30" screen, fat GPU, OMG.

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2007, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I want a 30 incher. And yes I'm serious.
Absolutely. Would be fairly expensive, but for the Apple line-up it makes sense. Reduce/remove the chin, put in a beefy GPU with plenty VRAM (exchangeable!). Possibly even consider using Conroe/975X instead of Merom/945.

CIA
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 05:48 PM

With the LCD's in Apples lineup going to LED lit sometime late this year, early '08 the reduced heat and space saving could make for a chinless iMac. I also, would LOVE a 30" iMac with beefy graphics and built in Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo drive. It would become my home HDTV/Computer. Altho, what does 1080i/p video look like when blown up to the resolution of the 30" display?
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2007, 06:26 PM

Mac Pro 2.66GHz (Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory) for $2494 and a Vizio 32" LCD HDTV Display with Built-In NTSC/ATSC/QAM Tuner, $464 from MacMall.

This setup has lots of speed, lots of screen space. If want to replace the video card you can and it has a lot of ram slots, and you can watch HDTV when ever you want, and the whole package comes in under $3000.

m4c
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2007, 03:55 AM

got used to it... 24" is no longer "huge" for me.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
May 7, 2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by m4c View Post
got used to it... 24" is no longer "huge" for me.
You possibly grew with your computer. http://forums.macnn.com/images/smilies/laughing.gif

edit: damn it! Why didn't I get a smiley here, just its url? Isn't it drag-and-drop?

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2007, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
You possibly grew with your computer. http://forums.macnn.com/images/smilies/laughing.gif

edit: damn it! Why didn't I get a smiley here, just its url? Isn't it drag-and-drop?
Gotta use the [img] tag.

Like so

Oneota
Professional Poster
May 10, 2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by ESavage View Post
Mac Pro 2.66GHz (Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory) for $2494 and a Vizio 32" LCD HDTV Display with Built-In NTSC/ATSC/QAM Tuner, $464 from MacMall.
Umm...a 32" monitor with 1366x768 resolution? No thanks...Apple's resolution for their 2-inches-smaller display is 2560 x 1600.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2007, 10:12 PM

I hope the display is not to bad. I am getting this set up as a Birthday Gift from my wife next week.
"life is like a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

hldan
Mac Elite
May 10, 2007, 11:58 PM

This setup has lots of speed, lots of screen space. If want to replace the video card you can and it has a lot of ram slots, and you can watch HDTV when ever you want, and the whole package comes in under $3000.
What do you mean you can watch HDTV whenever you want? You can do that on the 24" iMac, it has a full 1080i HD screen. Check your facts before you speak.
( Last edited by hldan; May 11, 2007 at 12:09 AM. )

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2007, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
What do you mean you can watch HDTV whenever you want? You can do that on the 24" iMac, it has a full 1080i HD screen. Check your facts before you speak.
Sorry, I did not mean to say that the 24" iMac didn't have a 1080i HD screen.
what I was saying is you can watch HDTV without use of a computer. I was also not also saying that the setup would be better then the 24" iMac. The Fact is the 24" iMac is a great computer, a friend of mine has one and I love to use his.
The drawback to my setup, is as Oneota said:
Originally Posted by Oneota
Umm...a 32" monitor with 1366x768 resolution? No thanks...Apple's resolution for their 2-inches-smaller display is 2560 x 1600.
"life is like a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 11, 2007, 11:46 AM

The display is fantastic, with one MAJOR problem:

No inputs. Right now it's a TV replacement, with a remote and frontrow, and optical audio out... however... it suffers from the MAJOR problem of there not being any input ports whatsoever. An input port would really make this the perfect living room computer. I'm sure apple will include this on later versions, which I will upgrade to immeadiatly, as I can't use my PS2 at all.

Other problems: Using optical audio= no volume control at all. You can't use the remote to control the volume in itunes, or the DVD player, or any other app. THe volume buttons on the remote, and the keyboard, are only for system volume, which is completely disabled when you use optical audio. Hell, the mute button doesnt' even work.

About 1 or 2 times a week, the computer feels sluggish, and I check the activity monitor and 'window server' is using 30-40% of both CPUs. I have to force quit it, and reboot the finder in order to fix it. Very annoying.

ESavage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2007, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
The display is fantastic, with one MAJOR problem:

No inputs. Right now it's a TV replacement, with a remote and frontrow, and optical audio out... however... it suffers from the MAJOR problem of there not being any input ports whatsoever. An input port would really make this the perfect living room computer. I'm sure apple will include this on later versions, which I will upgrade to immeadiatly, as I can't use my PS2 at all.

Other problems: Using optical audio= no volume control at all. You can't use the remote to control the volume in itunes, or the DVD player, or any other app. THe volume buttons on the remote, and the keyboard, are only for system volume, which is completely disabled when you use optical audio. Hell, the mute button doesnt' even work.

About 1 or 2 times a week, the computer feels sluggish, and I check the activity monitor and 'window server' is using 30-40% of both CPUs. I have to force quit it, and reboot the finder in order to fix it. Very annoying.
EyeTV Hybrid and EyeTV Remote from Elgato may just be what you need,
Watch analog as well as digital television on a Mac using a small, beautifully designed USB stick. Record, edit, and enjoy digital TV. Connect a set top box to receive digital cable and satellite TV. Record, edit, and enjoy digital TV. Connect a game console and enjoy zero latency game play on your Mac.
Just in case you did not know
( Last edited by ESavage; May 11, 2007 at 01:25 PM. )

hldan
Mac Elite
May 12, 2007, 12:42 AM

Yeah, EyeTV Hybrid works great for hooking up gaming machines and other video devices and there's no latency. You can have your TV and gaming too.

bearcatrp
Senior User
May 12, 2007, 10:17 AM

The 24 inch is definately a monster. Edits video with iMove quite well too. I am selling mine though. Hate to but need the bucks to upgrade my mac pro.
Randy

cashisback
Baninated
May 14, 2007, 06:21 PM

EyeTV Hybrid and EyeTV Remote from Elgato may just be what you need,
Both are software solutions, and they're laggy. ie, I can't hook a PS2 up to my iMac with them, because there will be about 1/2 second of lag between pressing a button, and action on the screen. That's SUPER shitty for gaming.

cashisback
Baninated
May 14, 2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by hldan View Post
Yeah, EyeTV Hybrid works great for hooking up gaming machines and other video devices and there's no latency. You can have your TV and gaming too.
WRONG. There is latency.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/review...ews.php?ID=714

http://forums.macnn.com/77/gaming/32...using-windows/

Forum Links
Forum Rules